Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photos that make you think.

syrup

LE
There was an interesting anecdote in Boyington's autobiography which I read at around the same time as I had arrived out in Asia for the first time and was throwing my money around and making myself popular (or so I thought) with everyone.

At the time my then girlfriend would tell me off for throwing money around, to which I would reply that it was chickenfeed to what I would spend back home and if it made people happy where was the harm?

In his book Pappy mentioned how he would pay his shoeshine boy a dollar to shine his boots, the lad was delighted and would show up early every day to make sure he would give the boots a good shine, everybody happy. Till one day the boy's father came to the base in a furious mood and told Pappy to stop paying the boy so much money, astonished he asked the old man why, and the father explained that the son now earned more from ten minutes shining Pappy's boots than his father earned from a week of hard toil that supported the rest of the family, and that it would ruin the boy.

To his credit Boyington took aboard what the father said, and I thought it said a lot about the man's character that he would include such an anecdote in his memoirs.

Similar accusations in Iraq that the guys who washed up in the cookhouse where getting paid more than school teachers.
I think one of the interpreters who worked with us was an ex school teacher and he was earning 5 times what he earned as a teacher.

Similar accusations in Iraq that the guys who washed up in the cookhouse where getting paid more than school teachers.
I think one of the interpreters who worked with us was an ex school teacher and he was earning 5 times what he earned as a teacher.
Exactly the same within HQ MND(S). The Interpreters pay was attracting all the educated, qualified "talent", with a disruptive effect on the economy of the wider BL area . . . and, I presume wherever else IFOR/SFOR was paying LECs. I did commit my observations to paper, and sent them up the food-chain, but no-one else could be bothered :( .

6A43AE83-41A4-4BA5-A693-D9167553DD44.jpeg

Long time ago, but I think they were safe! :-D

It would be interesting to know the provenance for that photo, because I'm guessing that it was actually a spoof at the time it was made.

In fact it looks remarkably like it might the male cast of a vaudeville show or similar.

Lets hope so anyway, for the sake of genuine chaps at the time.

I always thought the same thing.

Mostly because the "woman" immediately below the right lower corner of the sign is the spit of Les Dawson in drag mode.

It would be interesting to know the provenance for that photo, because I'm guessing that it was actually a spoof at the time it was made.

In fact it looks remarkably like it might the male cast of a vaudeville show or similar.

Lets hope so anyway, for the sake of genuine chaps at the time.

You are quite correct.

It is a still from a 1901 short film called Kansas Saloon Smashers about the perils of the demon drink (although it was trying to make the point that they were respectable establishments.)

While none of the identities of the people who appeared in the picture are recorded,[1] it is known the women in the film were played by men in drag, rendering them sexually unattractive.

Yokel

LE
Here is a better quality image. After you squire . . .

View attachment 505825

Actually its not really that much better. It did look better on the ipad.

They look much better if you wear a couple of eye pads - and are drunk.

I remember seeing an American painting from that era that portrays the pro prohibition groups as being full of self important interfering gags. Anyone would think that prohibition was not popular. The crime gangs loved it.

Was the film just an excuse for drag? People obsessed with others' vices often have their own oddities and perversions.

4(T)

LE
You are quite correct.

It is a still from a 1901 short film called Kansas Saloon Smashers about the perils of the demon drink (although it was trying to make the point that they were respectable establishments.)

While none of the identities of the people who appeared in the picture are recorded,[1] it is known the women in the film were played by men in drag, rendering them sexually unattractive.

Quite a fascinating story behind the film, it seems.

Interesting how a short comic piece has since been loaded with assumed messaging by modern academics.

Ironically, the Carrie Nation being satirised in the film was actually a close physical resemblance to some of the male actors - no doubt intended.

They look much better if you wear a couple of eye pads - and are drunk.

I remember seeing an American painting from that era that portrays the pro prohibition groups as being full of self important interfering gags. Anyone would think that prohibition was not popular. The crime gangs loved it.

Was the film just an excuse for drag? People obsessed with others' vices often have their own oddities and perversions.

Not this one, was it?
DWTRPH.jpg

Coz to be honest the women ain't much of an improvement on the blokes.

Second from the right with the white muff (oo err missus) might be worth a bash but the rest would be a strain even for @don't tell him pike

Issi

War Hero
Were there any attractive women pre 1950?

The majority of the women photographed in an earlier era, looked like more manly versions of Hinge and Bracket.

Were there any attractive women pre 1950?

The majority of the women photographed in an earlier era, looked like more manly versions of Hinge and Bracket.
There were many, but as Bugsy and Ciggie have oft said, they were locked up in a sort of purdah, and kept for the sole use of the Jewish Intelligentsia and of course, the nobility.

Re-enactor. Promise.

Latest Threads