Photos that make you think.

He was threatened with summery execution if he didn't comply, as there wasn't anybody in the american military who at that time would do the job. whether they would have carried out the threat, is a moot point! He executed 156 by hanging at Landsburg prison.
Smells like a BS claim, the US & UK didnt go around post war executing people without trial.

I agree with that. It could have been used as a threat I suppose.

Interesting to speculate on what crime they could have charged him with. I assume all his executions took place in the context of a constitutional legal framework and were compliant with the law (irrespective of what it was and what we might think of it).

As the Brits and Americans were executing criminals at the time we could hardly hang him for that any more than we could hang Pierrepoint or that American bloke (forgot his name).

Still, it was jolly decent of us to offer him a summery execution. Those wintery ones can be so cold and dismal.

Smells like a BS claim, the US & UK didn't go around post war executing people without trial.

The Jewish brigade of the British army roamed the now occupied country's at will, hunting down known instigators of the atrocities. The teams were made up from English speaking Jews who had either escaped to England, and survivors of the camps, now in the British army. Whether the authorities knew, is not known.. Taking them to pre-designated places of execution, usually into remote forests, trying them, then shooting and burying them.

Mossad were in part were manned in 1948 by survivors of the partisan groups that lived and functioned in Czechoslovakia, Poland and the USSR states. Many of the prominent top NAZI ( German) officials that oversaw the mass shootings that decimated the towns and villages of the occupied country's, and escaped to south america, notably Brazil, Argentina Paraguay and Chile were hunted down and dispatched by Mossad agents. The state of Israel have only ever admitted to one such assassination.

Last edited:

Unremarkable

War Hero
They look so young, but for them it must have been an amazing time of change

View attachment 472558

The building was empty when I saw it around 2000, and one of the owners (Mr Platt, iirc) was resident in a Gloucester home, though not where I worked.

In_Twists

Clanker
Why have you put corporals in quote mark's?
Despite this being mentioned tons, theres still some who say they wernt who they were sposed to be.
I didn't want to get into "they is...they isn't" about it and for me, I don't think ive seen anything saying
for sure. I know what I think, but ARRSE has opened my eyes on more than one occasion.

Despite this being mentioned tons, theres still some who say they wernt who they were sposed to be.
I didn't want to get into "they is...they isn't" about it and for me, I don't think ive seen anything saying
for sure. I know what I think, but ARRSE has opened my eyes on more than one occasion.
They were Corporals of the Royal Corps of Signals, going about their lawful duty in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, who were murdered by a mob of their fellow countrymen. End of.

FFS this isn't the comments section of the Daily Worker.

Anyone who says that is a fantasist and has no knowledge of them or the event. I can personally guarantee it.

Now you have seen something saying it for sure.

In_Twists

Clanker
They were Corporals of the Royal Corps of Signals, going about their lawful duty in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, who were murdered by a mob of their fellow countrymen. End of.

FFS this isn't the comments section of the Daily Worker.
Fits with what I thought.

1590526785079.png

Friedrich Kussin, the first German General to be killed during Operation Market Garden.

A picture that was in the book "A Bridge Too Far" by Cornelius Ryan.
Until now I had always assumed the "scalping" had happened as the car skidded to a halt, but apparantly not.

A few minutes later, around 1730hrs, his staff car bumped into B Company of 3rd Parachute Battalion leading the advance to Arnhem down Utrechtseweg. As the car started to turn left in the direction of Arnhem, the front men of No. 5 Platoon opened fire with stenguns and rifles, riddling the car with bullets and killing the General, his driver, Gefreiter Josef Willeke, and his batman/interpreter, Unteroffizier Max Köster.
The next goup of British paras pulled Kussin out of the car and from the next group passing by a show-off scalped the General.

I can't help thinking the Germans might not have been too happy about that and it may have made it a bit worse for the British POW's later.
Does anyone on here know if this story is true?

Last edited:
these photos from the Yom Kipur war in 1973 make me think of how utterly knackering and overwhelming it can get,
71227325_10157714197224885_290357798007472128_o.jpg

Infantry during a break in fighting the Syrians on the Golan Heights
71675340_2654154621295319_1807592262750699520_o.jpg

Centurion tank crew after the battle to stop the initial Syrian breakthrough attempt on the Golan Heights
42497116_2161910423821519_2531925513534963712_o.jpg

155 mm SP crew in the Sinai on the Egyptian front
71739868_2749541061725116_8038985760751222784_o.jpg

Last edited:
The Jewish brigade of the British army roamed the now occupied country's at will, hunting down known instigators of the atrocities. The teams were made up from English speaking Jews who had either escaped to England, and survivors of the camps, now in the British army. Whether the authorities knew, is not known.. Taking them to pre-designated places of execution, usually into remote forests, trying them, then shooting and burying them.

Mossad were in part were manned in 1948 by survivors of the partisan groups that lived and functioned in Czechoslovakia, Poland and the USSR states. Many of the prominent top NAZI ( German) officials that oversaw the mass shootings that decimated the towns and villages of the occupied country's, and escaped to south america, notably Brazil, Argentina Paraguay and Chile were hunted down and dispatched by Mossad agents. The state of Israel have only ever admitted to one such assassination.
Oh Bullshit your claim was the US was going to shoot him, now its MOSSAD

these photos from the Yom Kipur war in 1973 make me think of how utterly knackering and overwhelming it can get,
View attachment 476860
Infantry during a break in fighting the Syrians on the Golan Heights
View attachment 476862
Centurion tank crew after the battle to stop the initial Syrian breakthrough attempt on the Golan Heights
View attachment 476863
155 mm SP crew in the Sinai on the Egyptian front
View attachment 476867
The Israeli soldiers performance in 1973 was nothing short of astonishing... but then they knew what would happen if they failed.

I read somewhere about one of the tank bn commanders on the Golan telling his crews something along the lines of "If we lose, we lose everything. There is nowhere else to go".

Powerful stuff...

4(T)

LE
View attachment 476855

The next goup of British paras pulled Kussin out of the car and from the next group passing by a show-off scalped the General.

I can't help thinking the Germans might not have been too happy about that and it may have made it a bit worse for the British POW's later.

Sounds like nonsense - probably someone unfamiliar with combat wounds looked at the photo and came up with an imaginative anecdote.

The scalp tear is consistent with a destructive headshot (probably part of his skull cap is in the car), and the body appears undisturbed from where it fell.

Since when did WW2 Tommy start mutilating enemy bodies? Not exactly common practice.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
View attachment 476855

Friedrich Kussin, the first German General to be killed during Operation Market Garden.

A picture that was in the book "A Bridge Too Far" by Cornelius Ryan.
Until now I had always assumed the "scalping" had happened as the car skidded to a halt, but apparantly not.

A few minutes later, around 1730hrs, his staff car bumped into B Company of 3rd Parachute Battalion leading the advance to Arnhem down Utrechtseweg. As the car started to turn left in the direction of Arnhem, the front men of No. 5 Platoon opened fire with stenguns and rifles, riddling the car with bullets and killing the General, his driver, Gefreiter Josef Willeke, and his batman/interpreter, Unteroffizier Max Köster.

Strangely enough, I read about this a couple of weeks ago, which lead me to finding the following link for further reading
TL; DR
It's possible, but unlikely he was scalped, there was no 'prior art' and the Generals cap was damaged in a way suggesting a round ran along the side of his head.

Latest Threads