Photos that make you think.

4(T)

LE

Which WW2 film is it where some of our gallant downed pilots hiding in enemy territory are almost betrayed by a local woman revealing a glimpse of a (parachute) silk underskirt?

IIRC the scene has our devilish Nazis surveying a church congregation. A seated woman in a long dress briefly has her white silk underskirt showing, but quickly covers up.

As a child I didn't understand the scene, but my grandmother was chortling and explained the reference - that the local women would have divvied up the parachutes and turned them into underwear. Granny and her wartime sisterhood were similar experts at recycling war materiel into ladies' garments.

Which WW2 film is it where some of our gallant downed pilots hiding in enemy territory are almost betrayed by a local woman revealing a glimpse of a (parachute) silk underskirt?

IIRC the scene has our devilish Nazis surveying a church congregation. A seated woman in a long dress briefly has her white silk underskirt showing, but quickly covers up.

As a child I didn't understand the scene, but my grandmother was chortling and explained the reference - that the local women would have divvied up the parachutes and turned them into underwear. Granny and her wartime sisterhood were similar experts at recycling war materiel into ladies' garments.
One Of Our Aircraft Is Missing.

That's why silk was cut 'on the bias' - diagonally across the warp and weft - it "drapes' better.
(This is why ladies expensive gowns are cut that way and also why they're expensive... uses more material and the off cuts can't be used).
Except for making bias binding if the off cuts are big enough- from Mrs S who's is into apparel pattern making and design.

Or so he says.

Most of his anecdotes about his life appear to have been fibs.
There's an analysis of Lee's service here by Guy Walters - along with Patrick Moore's.

tl/dr: bloaters, but not walters.

Or so he says.

Most of his anecdotes about his life appear to have been fibs.
Yes, indeed, as a 'raconteur' he was even more creative than Dirk Bogarde.
I remember reading his autobiography years ago and accepting it all at face value- I had no
reason not to. But once you think it over in the light of his later reputation, it's easy to see
how highly improbable most of his stories were.

ericferret

War Hero
No point camoulflaging v bombers as the howl was heard three countries away.
Such marvellous engineering.
Working in Wales with a Lama helicopter, we had the aircraft and two unsilenced Briggs and Stratton engines running at the same time. I suddenly had a feeling that something strange was ocurring. Looked up to see a Vulcan
about 100 feet above us. Aluminium overcast does not do it justice.

The last public guillotine execution, 17 June 1939 in Versailles.

View attachment 461967

The short clandestine film of this is on YouTube, you cannot see the head roll off, you do see the body roll off the platform, and into the coffin almost instantaneously.

Latest Threads