Photos that make you think.

Which is where yer Nylons (New York/LONdon) and Rayons came in for the allies.
Very early on silk could still be found - doubtless starting more stories than actual examples. I recall my mum being ahead of the plot of a Dad's Army episode wanting to check the colour of Warmington-on-seas knickers due to German ones being cream and allies being white (IIRC).

Can't remember where I read about a German parachute being found and retrieved, locals keeping quiet and later on realising the user had gone into soft ground.
That'll be an interesting bog body if found.
Parachutes made from silk were certainly about by WW2, One of the primary issues to come was that this material was sourced from Japan which dried up as the build up to war gained a momentum.

There must have been thousands of chutes dropped into France on containers for ze resistauncé, even before d day ?

That's a lot of pairs of knickers.
As you may glean from @Alec_Lomas and my posts - the allies produced mostly synthetic 'chutes once war was declared.

A very good history of inter war parachuting developments can be read in 'The Yorkshire Birdman: Memoirs of a Pioneer Parachutist' by Harry Ward and Peter Hear btw.

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
86374674_3555742874497983_1884185479692156928_o.jpg
Pally. I used to see him around enough to know his face as one of the street folk. He lived on the streets around Kings Cross in Sydney, used to collect discarded syringes and shoot up the residuals. Found dead on a footpath one day.

Oyibo

LE
Snipped

The multiple panels design evolved to minimise canopy oscillation and thereby make landings better to judge.
Weren't the multiple panels primarily to stop a rip going all the way through the 'chute?

Weren't the multiple panels primarily to stop a rip going all the way through the 'chute?
Yes, quite correct. It was one of the design innovations, but principally allowed varying porosities of material ( high pressure /low pressure areas )within the canopy to permit better opening characteristics and a more 'stable' descent.

# MODS - by copy can you please shift these conversations over to - 'Parachute Silk' initiated by @Auld-Yin in 2014 #

Apologies to thread readers for this drift.

Multiple panels is the only way to create a dome shaped chute I would think ?
Not quite, earlier models with 'single panels' design could split from the periphery to the vent and often did.

Morning @gorillaguts981,
I always thought it was a 'BSA Scorpion' which I had as a sprog. It had a short sleeve which looked like a suppressor that slid over the end of the barrel to break and and cock it.
It looked well ally compered to the 'Gat' which the rest of the local kids had. Apparently hurt more than the 'Gat' when shot with one as well:).
I can attest to that. After seeing "The man with the golden gun" my younger brother and I had a duel in the garden with air pistols.

I still have a scar on the back of my left hand 40 something years later.

bedended

War Hero
I can attest to that. After seeing "The man with the golden gun" my younger brother and I had a duel in the garden with air pistols.

I still have a scar on the back of my left hand 40 something years later.
Morning @ancient,
My younger brother has one, front middle of right leg. My youngest also. A hardly discernible graze(thank fvck). Just above his right eyebrow and I have one on my left hand. I think it might have been a right of passage for some, in a time when young 'sensible' people could own a air powered weapon and happily play 'Tommy v Kraut', or 'Japs and Commandos' for hours, without a care in the World...until crying time.

Morning @ancient,
My younger brother has one, front middle of right leg. My youngest also. A hardly discernible graze(thank fvck). Just above his right eyebrow and I have one on my left hand. I think it might have been a right of passage for some, in a time when young 'sensible' people could own a air powered weapon and happily play 'Tommy v Kraut', or 'Japs and Commandos' for hours, without a care in the World...until crying time.
"Japs and Commandos' was where I learnt to shoot properly. I was on the school shooting 8 team firing their shot out rifles until my parents sensibly enough, and with stern and subsequently completely ignored, warning about being irresponsible bought me a .177 Webley jackal for my 10th birthday. It's still around somewhere in the attic I expect along with my train set.

No Jap or small wildlife was safe from me after that.

I think now though that running around in public carrying an air rifle would quickly fill the air with the sound of police sirens. We lived in a simpler age and accepted that boys will be boys and that boys will get hurt playing boys games.

2B3AC05C-EA42-4FB0-9396-6D3450ED3319.jpeg

Took this after returning from a CSAR sortie on Hoth.

Not quite, earlier models with 'single panels' design could split from the periphery to the vent and often did.
That's why silk was cut 'on the bias' - diagonally across the warp and weft - it "drapes' better.
(This is why ladies expensive gowns are cut that way and also why they're expensive... uses more material and the off cuts can't be used).

arcticfox042

War Hero
That's why silk was cut 'on the bias' - diagonally across the warp and weft - it "drapes' better.
(This is why ladies expensive gowns are cut that way and also why they're expensive... uses more material and the off cuts can't be used).
You seem to know a lot about silk dresses... are you a former Royal ???

Point taken, however, when 'folded' parachute style and left in a pack,it had the phenomena of splitting along the seam.

Latest Threads