Photos that make you think.

It would have been better to try the Pitts Road Det. and much closer than Watchfield in those days. :)

Silk parachute material? You would have been seriously disappointed; the material would have been a nylon based material of different 'thicknesses' relative to it's positioning either on the periphery or vent. Good for 'zoot suits' as you well know. Point taken though on your material description. :)
Yeh, in fact #1 wife made me a “windproof” from parachute material which I wore on ex for years. Very warm and very light.

We were about that age. Simply walked into the local hardware shop & told the bloke which one we wanted. No questions or drama.
Madness.

My bold ... Indeed in my teens, having made a very dodgy 410 shotgun out of a bit of reinforced (with copper wound around wire it) metal tubing, I could walk into my local sports shop & buy 410 cartridges to fire in it with no problems!

It would have been better to try the Pitts Road Det. and much closer than Watchfield in those days. :)

Silk parachute material? You would have been seriously disappointed; the material would have been a nylon based material of different 'thicknesses' relative to it's positioning either on the periphery or vent. Good for 'zoot suits' as you well know. Point taken though on your material description. :)
Mi Mum, who was a silk weaver and seamstress,told me it was a real test to make stuff from proper silk parachutes. The reason underwear was popular was because the material was cut on the bias and, as you know, a canopy is made of multiple panels - usually tapering.
Impossible to get a useable dress length so wedding dresses are a test of the seamstresses skills.

xxxxxxxzzzzz111917-20-1918-Flu-Pandemic.jpg

I'm thinking we might be seeing a few more of these around the world in the coming months.

Gustinkovski

Old-Salt
Sad that this inhumanity has been repeated many times since e.g the Killing Fields, Rwanda etc

Lessons learnt - I don't think so.
You're right, I did a spell with the ICTY and the war graves in BiH, working with some of the witnesses and their stories and the graves that were uncovered. I'm sure that Syria and Northern Iraq will reveal more but we aready know the atrocities that they are capable of.

Mi Mum, who was a silk weaver and seamstress,told me it was a real test to make stuff from proper silk parachutes. The reason underwear was popular was because the material was cut on the bias and, as you know, a canopy is made of multiple panels - usually tapering.
Impossible to get a useable dress length so wedding dresses are a test of the seamstresses skills.
There were precious few silk parachutes. What started off as providing WW! pilots with a very expensive material to manufacture their single safety means of survival thereby impressing upon them that no expense would be spared.

Following examination of what was termed a 'roman candle' malfunction, the description given owing o the streaming shape of the parachute; it was noted that silk material when folded and packed tightly ,stuck together. Silk rubbing against silk caused a static electrical charge causing the material to bond. The myth of using silk was maintained more for psy-ops reasons.

The multiple panels design evolved to minimise canopy oscillation and thereby make landings better to judge.

There were precious few silk parachutes. What started off as providing WW! pilots with a very expensive material to manufacture their single safety means of survival thereby impressing upon them that no expense would be spared.

Following examination of what was termed a 'roman candle' malfunction, the description given owing o the streaming shape of the parachute; it was noted that silk material when folded and packed tightly ,stuck together. Silk rubbing against silk caused a static electrical charge causing the material to bond. The myth of using silk was maintained more for psy-ops reasons.

The multiple panels design evolved to minimise canopy oscillation and thereby make landings better to judge.
Which is where yer Nylons (New York/LONdon) and Rayons came in for the allies.
Very early on silk could still be found - doubtless starting more stories than actual examples. I recall my mum being ahead of the plot of a Dad's Army episode wanting to check the colour of Warmington-on-seas knickers due to German ones being cream and allies being white (IIRC).

Can't remember where I read about a German parachute being found and retrieved, locals keeping quiet and later on realising the user had gone into soft ground.
That'll be an interesting bog body if found.

There must have been thousands of chutes dropped into France on containers for ze resistauncé, even before d day ?

That's a lot of pairs of knickers.