Photos that make you think.

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
Someone just posted this up on the Salisbury Plain FB page. Apparently this was taken somewhere on the Plain, most likely at the Larkhill end? Anyone shed any light on this impressive piece of kit?
View attachment 460008
Are you stupid, it's green, has a gun and is made of metal.

It's a tank

Rebecca - Jane Smith-Brown aged 16
Main Defence Reporter
Daily Mail

Last edited:
Are you stupid, it's green, has a gun and issde of metal.

It's a tank

Main Defence Reporter
Daily Mail
Rebecca, do you like wearing white cotton panties and showing your bits on webcams?

Disregard my last it was the ship 'Laconia.' With the U boat incident . But there is footage of the kids being picked up. Some are still alive today. [/QUOTE]
From Wiki.

En route, the U-boat was spotted by a B-24 Liberator bomber of the US Army Air Forces. The aircrew, having reported the U-boat's location, intentions and the presence of survivors, were then ordered to attack the sub. The B-24 killed dozens of Laconia's survivors with bombs and strafing attacks, forcing U-156 to cast their remaining survivors into the sea and crash dive to avoid being destroyed.

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
Rebecca, do you like wearing white cotton panties and showing your bits on webcams?
Silk knickers.

I used this to make two pairs

3e734e5d6358baaa8b0a32651c5f4881.jpg

Silk knickers.

I used this to make two pairs

View attachment 460352
Reminds me that when I was with 3PARA in the 70s it became fashionable for brides of lads in the Bn to have their wedding dresses made from parachute silk. I was getting married to wife #1 in ‘74 and she decided to do it so I asked my CSM how to get the material and he gave me a phone number and said “Here you go, this bloke will see you right. Hope it goes OK, I’ve met your fiancé and she seems a nice girl”

I called the number and it was answered “Heavy drop company, parachute store”

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
It looks very German to me?

As an aside there were over 100 Bn sized camps on Salisbury Plain during WW1

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
Drop short on the left is skiving.
Refer to clipboard.
In the radar world Red meant top secret or rather we can't remember what safe we put the AESPs in

Recommend the book. Ship was also carrying thousands of Italian pow's which went down on the ship. U boat skipper sent out an SOS on an open channel for help , allies thought it was a trick. U boat travelled on surface with survivors on deck and pulling a trail of full lifeboats. US patrol aircraft saw this but still attacked, skipper cut them all loose and dived. I theres film footage of them being picked up by RN.

Niamac

GCM
with all this covid stuff going around and lots of snowflakes moaning they cant get stuff ( bloody eat something else then )
I would like to post this picture
read the text
no wonder my parents generation are so laid back

Survivors of the sinking of the City of Benares

The City of Benares was torpedoed on its way to Canada. Pictured are five of six boys who were adrift in a lifeboat with other survivors for eight days.
This photo appeared in the October 5, 1940 issue of The Sphere.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_City_of_Benares
Crikey, children are resilient. No signs of PTSD there.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Are you stupid, it's green, has a gun and is made of metal.

It's a tank

Main Defence Reporter
Daily Mail
Sod cleaning that every time you fire it !

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs

Gustinkovski

Old-Salt
Some of the photos from Hiroshima still stick with me, from the first day I saw them as a kid. Outline of a person possibly holding the ladder. View attachment 319215

There are few more, I also remember going Belsen as a kid and going through the small museum outside. Photos there I will never forget seeing and drove my own personal beliefs of to hate extremism on all political and religious spectrums.
I also had the duty of going to Belsen as a I child. I say duty as my father took my brother/sister and myself, all when we reached the age of 7. I ended up going twice. I remember the first time that there weren't that many photo's, but by the time my brother was 7 they had upgraded it and there were a lot more. Still all shocking and a little traumatic at that age. My father's words were a little ironic 'this is how not to treat your fellow human beings' since his next posting was accompanied to NI in 69. I went to the local school, where we were treated like shit by everyone, especially the teachers. cnuts !

Last edited:
Crikey, children are resilient. No signs of PTSD there.
They are probably just reacting to the photographer "hey kids, do you want to be in the papers?" Plus they will be quite happy in the fact that they are still alive! The "PTSD" probably wouldn't hit them for some time.
But yes. kids are resiliant or rather they were until we overprotected them.

Took over seven decades but bats have long memories and looks like they are finally getting their revenge on humans.

BatBomb.png

Bat bombs were an experimental World War II weapon developed by the United States. The bomb consisted of a bomb-shaped casing with over a thousand compartments, each containing a hibernating Mexican free-tailed bat with a small, timed incendiary bomb attached. Dropped from a bomber at dawn, the casings would deploy a parachute in mid-flight and open to release the bats, which would then disperse and roost in eaves and attics in a 20–40-mile radius (32–64 km). The incendiaries, which were set on timers, would then ignite and start fires in inaccessible places in the largely wood and paper constructions of the Japanese cities that were the weapon's intended target.

Link:
Bat Bomb

37ucv67i

War Hero
The incendiaries, which were set on timers, would then ignite and start fires in inaccessible places in the largely wood and paper constructions of the Japanese cities that were the weapon's intended target.
Link:
Bat Bomb
"In one incident, the Carlsbad Army Airfield Auxiliary Air Base (32°15′39″N 104°13′45″W) near Carlsbad, New Mexico, was set on fire on May 15, 1943, when armed bats were accidentally released. The bats roosted under a fuel tank and incinerated the test range."

Reminds me that when I was with 3PARA in the 70s it became fashionable for brides of lads in the Bn to have their wedding dresses made from parachute silk. I was getting married to wife #1 in ‘74 and she decided to do it so I asked my CSM how to get the material and he gave me a phone number and said “Here you go, this bloke will see you right. Hope it goes OK, I’ve met your fiancé and she seems a nice girl”

I called the number and it was answered “Heavy drop company, parachute store”
It would have been better to try the Pitts Road Det. and much closer than Watchfield in those days. :)

Silk parachute material? You would have been seriously disappointed; the material would have been a nylon based material of different 'thicknesses' relative to it's positioning either on the periphery or vent. Good for 'zoot suits' as you well know. Point taken though on your material description. :)

Latest Threads