Photos that make you think.

4(T)

LE
Someone just posted this up on the Salisbury Plain FB page. Apparently this was taken somewhere on the Plain, most likely at the Larkhill end? Anyone shed any light on this impressive piece of kit?
View attachment 460008
One of the 18" howitzers built at the end of WW1.

This one has been moved around a bit recently, plus had a bit of a tidy up:

4(T)

LE
My thoughts as well, on its transporter, as used, to get it to or from the ship yard?

Thinks:- If fired on that 4 wheeled bogie, I suspect the recoil would send it many hundreds of feet backwards, very fast indeed.

I think this is a proof mount, rather than the full size railway mount. Proof mounts had limited elevation and were used for test firing guns. IIRC they had ramped rail to run back on under recoil, as the guns didn't have their recuperator systems fitted for testing.

The full size rail mount had something like 100 tons of mass (and multiple brakes and wheel locks) to help absorb recoil, plus the gun recuperator, plus the vectoring of recoil force downwards due to the high elevation angle these things were supposed to fire at.

arcticfox042

War Hero
Yes photos that make you think, I think he fails his BFT.....................
Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 21.30.33.png

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
with all this covid stuff going around and lots of snowflakes moaning they cant get stuff ( bloody eat something else then )
I would like to post this picture
read the text
no wonder my parents generation are so laid back

Survivors of the sinking of the City of Benares

The City of Benares was torpedoed on its way to Canada. Pictured are five of six boys who were adrift in a lifeboat with other survivors for eight days.
This photo appeared in the October 5, 1940 issue of The Sphere.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_City_of_Benares

RigPig

War Hero
Someone just posted this up on the Salisbury Plain FB page. Apparently this was taken somewhere on the Plain, most likely at the Larkhill end? Anyone shed any light on this impressive piece of kit?
View attachment 460008
It was when the ‘Uman Rites lawyers said the SL* is overkill and and should not be used and we had to use something less lethal.

RP.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
One of the 18" howitzers built at the end of WW1.

This one has been moved around a bit recently, plus had a bit of a tidy up:

I love this quote
I don’t see any problems moving the gun,” he said. “We’ve moved some pretty unusual things in the past including a fibreglass dinosaur.
that must have been some party !!

What shocks me as well is that they still have a kind of placcy belt,though i've never seen one that big before. :rolleyes:
I thought the plastic belts just got pulled of a big roll in the QM's and cut to length.

maritime

Clanker
with all this covid stuff going around and lots of snowflakes moaning they cant get stuff ( bloody eat something else then )
I would like to post this picture
read the text
no wonder my parents generation are so laid back

Survivors of the sinking of the City of Benares

The City of Benares was torpedoed on its way to Canada. Pictured are five of six boys who were adrift in a lifeboat with other survivors for eight days.
This photo appeared in the October 5, 1940 issue of The Sphere.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_City_of_Benares
Recommend the book. Ship was also carrying thousands of Italian pow's which went down on the ship. U boat skipper sent out an SOS on an open channel for help , allies thought it was a trick. U boat travelled on surface with survivors on deck and pulling a trail of full lifeboats. US patrol aircraft saw this but still attacked, skipper cut them all loose and dived. I theres film footage of them being picked up by RN.

Recommend the book. Ship was also carrying thousands of Italian pow's which went down on the ship. U boat skipper sent out an SOS on an open channel for help , allies thought it was a trick. U boat travelled on surface with survivors on deck and pulling a trail of full lifeboats. US patrol aircraft saw this but still attacked, skipper cut them all loose and dived. I theres film footage of them being picked up by RN.
The Yanks bombing everything in sight is a common theme throughout their short history.

Tut. Never saw a barrel-chested BSM like that in my lot back in the day. SGM D* D***nt and R*b**t St**i were racing snakes compared to that fat body. It's a wonder his boss isn't doubling him to the horizon and back a few times to get that pork off.

Tubby major-2.jpg

Tut. Never saw a barrel-chested BSM like that in my lot back in the day. SGM D* D***nt and R*b**t St**i were racing snakes compared to that fat body. It's a wonder his boss isn't doubling him to the horizon and back a few times to get that pork off.

View attachment 460337
It might be all muscle

Latest Threads