Photos that make you think.

Carbon 6

Old-Salt
We were about that age. Simply walked into the local hardware shop & told the bloke which one we wanted. No questions or drama.
Madness.
I remember buying a couple of Sykes Fairbairn knifes from our hardware shop when I was ten or twelve years old. They were about seven and sixpence IIRC.

bedended

War Hero
Looks like an LP53 (Luft Pistole). A fantasy gun from my youth that I could never afford.
Morning @gorillaguts981,
I always thought it was a 'BSA Scorpion' which I had as a sprog. It had a short sleeve which looked like a suppressor that slid over the end of the barrel to break and and cock it.
It looked well ally compered to the 'Gat' which the rest of the local kids had. Apparently hurt more than the 'Gat' when shot with one as well:).

Attachments

JackSofty

Old-Salt
I had always assumed (not having examined the images closely) that it must a variant of either a Colt Woodsman or Ruger Standard, both having been used as convenient weapons of assasination by the larger criminal organisations of Italian origin.
Had I realised that it was the Walther Unobtanium (well, for myself aged 12) sexy as Hell competed to my Milbro and Diana pop-outs, I would have been more impressed.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

socialdespatch

War Hero
Morning @gorillaguts981,
I always thought it was a 'BSA Scorpion' which I had as a sprog. It had a short sleeve which looked like a suppressor that slid over the end of the barrel to break and and cock it.
It looked well ally compered to the 'Gat' which the rest of the local kids had. Apparently hurt more than the 'Gat' when shot with one as well:).
The Scorpion appeared in a different Bond film, being used by the baddies to shoot knock out darts.

4(T)

LE
The Scorpion appeared in a different Bond film, being used by the baddies to shoot knock out darts.

Wasn't Bond shot with a tranquilliser dart from a Webley Senior/Tempest when he was strapped to the laser cutting table in Goldfinger?

Even as a kid I knew the scene was fake - my SME knowledge was that it hurt like all feck to be shot with such a pistol!

socialdespatch

War Hero
Wasn't Bond shot with a tranquilliser dart from a Webley Senior/Tempest when he was strapped to the laser cutting table in Goldfinger?

Even as a kid I knew the scene was fake - my SME knowledge was that it hurt like all feck to be shot with such a pistol!
Probably, it was females toting the Scorpion, I watched the film recently and can’t for the life of me remember which one it was.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I had not realised that the Germany Military in the great War had so little fuel
intersting image of mothballed vehicles behind the men eating

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I often wondered what a lady kept in her muff !!

However they have a fascinating collection of items, and while you are suffering from idiots flu , its a great way to spend a few hours

Just reading a book about the war in London's East End* and this photo leaps out (so to speak)
It shows a scary photo of nurses in what looks a pretty precarious bombed hospital ruin.
Caption:

>>The medical professionals themselves weren't immune. Here, nurses at St Peter's,
Stepney — one of four London hospitals bombed in a single night in April 1941 recover
what they can from the debris.<<

*Edited to add book's title;
Our Street author Gilda O'Neil

StPetersSm1.jpg

Last edited:
Just reading a book about the war in London's East End and this photo leaps out (so to speak)
It shows a scary photo of nurses in what looks a pretty precarious bombed hospital ruin.
Caption:

>>The medical professionals themselves weren't immune. Here, nurses at St Peter's,
Stepney — one of four London hospitals bombed in a single night in April 1941 recover
what they can from the debris.<<

View attachment 459072
Puts the current crisis into perspective.

Someone just posted this up on the Salisbury Plain FB page. Apparently this was taken somewhere on the Plain, most likely at the Larkhill end? Anyone shed any light on this impressive piece of kit?
87D56985-5C35-4279-A622-95214A7B8FF0.jpeg

Latest Threads