Photos that make you think.

4(T)

LE
There were many atrocities carried out upon UN troops in the Korean War, the question is why are they so little known about? Were they deliberately played down by the various government or was it general lack of interest at home?
View attachment 451846

Much of it had to be suppressed because of the nature of the intractable "peace" talks that came later. The communist side stuck with their absurdly theatrical and hard-line propaganda theme, and were using the tiniest fabricated grievance to stall or leverage the supposed negotiations. Western press reports were frequently cited as hostile libelling or evidence of conspiracy against the peace-loving NK (and China, the puppet-master).

There was also a serious problem of lack of resolve in USA and the allies. There had been virtually zero interest in fighting the war in the electorates, and moral and motivation was rock bottom in the deployed armies. There was, unsurprisingly, little sympathy for the SK regime, and western public were not really bought into the global strategic threat of communist expansionism. Communist atrocities didn't really help boost support for the war.

View attachment 452349

23 year old German soldier Manfred Pernass, is about to die at the hands of US forces at Henri-Chapelle on 23-12-1944. He, Oberfähnrich Günther Billing and Gefreiter Wilhelm Schmidt were captured wearing US uniforms for Operation Greif ("Griffin"). They were all executed. Their Waffen-SS commander, Otto Skorzeny, would, after the war, also be charged but acquitted. Their (non-combat) use of enemy uniforms ended up being considered a legitimate use by the tribunal.

A case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time....and wearing the wrong clothes!
More info and photos here:

There was no way that Skorzeny could be convicted when SOE's FFE Yeo-Thomas GC was a defence witness and testified that he had done exactly what Skorzeny was on trial for.

Communist atrocities didn't really help boost support for the war.
In fairness, it was remarkably hard to make the case against the north on the basis of atrocities when our own troops were witnessing the same behaviour from our allies in the south.

The public perception seemed to be that as we couldn't slip a fag-paper between them for their conduct, why spend blood and treasure there?

Dicky Ticker

War Hero
It is not a photograph, and I could find a picture from the web and post it, but the diagram of the Swiss Cheese model of safety/accident causation always makes me think.

Small events, combined with other small events, led to disaster. It makes me pause and think about how we all depend on others doing the right thing.
I use these and the Bowtie diagrams every day, and have developed more than a few over the years. A colleague who worked for one of the big airlines proudly tells me their Bowties used to cover the wall of a room!

I have one Bowtie for contact with hazardous voltages, if I print it out half sized it fits twelve sheets of A3 and my engineering team hate it. The trouble for them is that they can't argue about any part of it, especially if they are designing new equipment.

syrup

LE
Spotted this in Barclays Bank Salisbury this morning. The sheer scale of the ‘War effort’ is fascinating to me.
View attachment 451157

Good programme on Sky 328 Talking Pictures
Told how a factory gave up their weekend to build a Wellington Bomber in about 30 hours.
Bit like that BBC programme on now raw materials in one end bomber out the other in a weekend

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I rather enjoy urbex photography, not done any myself as I have worked in too many places like that, but this chap took some nice pictures a few years back and I can see Bren Gun Carriers there

How very true this is! Especially this week.

1583849252959.png

This photo of Sean Connery as James Bond was on the cover of this month's The Oldie.

Look closely . . . this is one of the iconic images of 007,

yet

Why is he holding an air pistol?

You can see the rivet for the pivoting barrel above his trigger finger (bad drills BTW)

4(T)

LE
This photo of Sean Connery as James Bond was on the cover of this month's The Oldie.

yet

You can see the rivet for the pivoting barrel above his trigger finger (bad drills BTW)

Result of a c*ck up, apparently:

yet

Er, Botulinum toxin topped silent darts?

I had to be content with a Gat 1.77. The ones that you had to push the barrel into the ground to compress the spring.
Try to buy one now at 13

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
brewmeister Military History and Militaria 10
V Royal Air Force 16
Ravers Royal Navy 42

Latest Threads