Photos that make you think.

Faked,(Photo shopped) possibly, but not probable, staged, how?

In the same way that this Countryfile Calendar winner was, by being shot in a studio with tamed animals:

Obviously, if that were the case in this scenario, the mice would be shot separately and then superimposed.

There's no reason to suspect that the tube platform shot was anything other than a combianation of patience (5 nights according to the article I read), a few well placed crumbs and of course a large dollop of luck.

There's no reason to suspect that the tube platform shot was anything other than a combianation of patience (5 nights according to the article I read), a few well placed crumbs and of course a large dollop of luck.

Other than the differentiating light and shadows, you mean?

South Koreans, not always a great bunch of lads.

"" In August 1950 the cameraman Bert Hardy, working in the Pusan and Taegu areas as the North Korean
advance seemed to be about to overwhelm the South Korean and American forces, stumbled upon a
number of appalling atrocities committed by the South Korean police; large numbers of 'communist sympathizers' were rounded up, driven into the countryside, and summarily shot. Similar scenes were
witnessed by British troops after the fall of Pyongyang later in the year.

At the time, the British government suppressed all reporting of these events, believing it would affect the morale of the troops and have a damaging effect on public opinion at home. Two of Hardy's disturbing pictures show Political Prisoners' awaiting disposal and being driven off into the countryside to their death.""

Not just 'communist sympathisers' , in some cases the SKs are reported to have slaughtered ordinary jailed criminals wholesale because they were perceived as a possible threat if they were released by the advancing North Koreans.

koreanAtrocity1.jpg

koreanAtrocity2.jpg

South Koreans, not always a great bunch of lads.

"" In August 1950 the cameraman Bert Hardy, working in the Pusan and Taegu areas as the North Korean
advance seemed to be about to overwhelm the South Korean and American forces, stumbled upon a
number of appalling atrocities committed by the South Korean police; large numbers of 'communist sympathizers' were rounded up, driven into the countryside, and summarily shot. Similar scenes were
witnessed by British troops after the fall of Pyongyang later in the year.

At the time, the British government suppressed all reporting of these events, believing it would affect the morale of the troops and have a damaging effect on public opinion at home. Two of Hardy's disturbing pictures show Political Prisoners' awaiting disposal and being driven off into the countryside to their death.""

Not just 'communist sympathisers' , in some cases the SKs are reported to have slaughtered ordinary jailed criminals wholesale because they were perceived as a possible threat if they were released by the advancing North Koreans.

View attachment 449758
View attachment 449759
The South koreans were also accused of warcrimes and atrocities against Vietnamese civilians during the Vietnam War. Most senior RoK officers had been trained by the Japanese during WW2 and were also violently anti-communist.

Part of the reason why Korean forces were alleged to engage in atrocities stem from orders by Park Chung-Hee to minimise casualties through practices such as hostage-taking and the brutality of South Korean forces was both due to many officers being Japanese-trained with many officers themselves following the same doctrines during the Korean War

Wiki link

Sadly I think that will eventually prove either to be a fake or to have been staged.
I posted this a few months back, when it originally came out. There was a link to an accompanying video showing how it was shot, with the cameraman lying on the platform for many days. So it wasn't photoshopped or staged, just a very, very patient and highly skilled cameraman.

Some survivor testimony suggests their definition of 'communist sympathiser' included being put on the ration roll for civilian food aid when the North overran your village.

Yokel

LE
It is not a photograph, and I could find a picture from the web and post it, but the diagram of the Swiss Cheese model of safety/accident causation always makes me think.

Small events, combined with other small events, led to disaster. It makes me pause and think about how we all depend on others doing the right thing.

Probably the only statue to a Brit who served in Vietnam - Ia Drang 1965. Statue is permanently at Fort Benning. The man was a key real character in 'We Were Soldiers Once and Young' - Born in Cornwall, Died helping people get out of one of the Twin Towers on 9/11.
Rick Rescorla statue.jpg

Another one from my home town ‘Yesterday’s’ FB site and acknowledgement to Stephen Holiday.
The Whitehaven Wellington Pit disaster 1910 - 137 men and boys were lost. The picture was on the front cover of the Daily Mirror.
A few decades later, my Dad was a Whitehaven miner (Haig Pit) and broke his back aged 42 and never worked again. Sod being a miner was my thought process when I joined the Army!
FD841276-A09F-45FC-855C-1BBEDEFA214F.jpeg

Latest Threads