Photos that make you think.

Issi

War Hero
Am I missing something,?
The photo above, doesn't 'make me think' , it's just a photo of a lot of old trucks in Sodding Chipbury

Students, the perfect people to brainwash, under the guise of enlightenment and learning....
Matthew 18:6 "If anyone causes one of these little ones--those who believe in me--to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.

Unremarkable

Old-Salt
Speaking of the Cultural Revolution:
I had a manager who is a native Mandarin speaker. Apart from very basic modern phrases I had picked up along the way, she was often unable to understand when I spoke in my smattering of Classical Chinese - which I voice with Mandarin pronunciation. (e.g. I say 'yue', when the author might have said 'ngiwat'*, or a Cantonese speaker, 'yat'. Moon in English.) On discussing this, it so happens that she never studied literary Chinese, and some of the concepts I spoke of are no longer well known. She pointed out that she was educated after the Cultural Revolution, when superstition was done away with, and what a good thing that was too.
Along with the destruction of ancient relics, and the suppression or death of the keepers of tradition and ancient culture, even the language was effectively purged.

*Archaic (reconstructed) Chinese, as on Oracle Bones.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Am I missing something,?
The photo above, doesn't 'make me think' , it's just a photo of a lot of old trucks in Sodding Chipbury
The world is about to change from a horse-drawn one to a mechanised one. Chipping Sodbury was a small rural market town, the sight of one truck would have made people stare but to see a fleet of them parked up ready for war is a change-point, The British Army aware that a war would need mechanical assistance, brought into being a subsidy scheme in 1911 , suitable Lorries for War Office use could be purchased from manufactures whose vehicles complied with the Armies rigorous tests , and the private owners would be in receipt of a subsidy to own and maintain the vehicle providing they allowed the War Office to requisition it at the outbreak of War.
Dennis, Thorneycroft, AEC and Leyland trucks were the main suppliers
Most of these Vehicles would have been requisitioned from the Major cities such as Bristol, Bath, Gloucester, Hereford and Worcester, and here made ready for onward movement to France
When one hears so much Criticism of the military, you think of the 1911 act and realise that it contained many people who were forward thinking , and visualised a new means of moving troops and materials
I think that it still contains many sharp and perceptive minds to this day.

They even had mobile film units

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
In the midst of all that hatred and death
Humour prevails
The Average soldier whatever side he is on, just want to get on with it and get back home
humour is a great leveller

This Gentleman has the most amazing archive of Great War Images, if you have a little time look through them

Yokel

LE
View attachment 434319

Spot the Dutch minesweeper hiding from the Japanese
Do you know if that ship managed to survive the entire war? Some Dutch warships did but I am not sure if that was after escaping to Britain or if it was in the East Indies.

Last edited:

Latest Threads