Photos that make you think.

I'm pretty sure I took this photo from a war memorial in Liege
ResistanceSm.jpg

What you do notice in Belgium are the many local war memorials where the names are in two sections, the armed forces killed in battle and those executed by German firing squads - still, the French seem to get most of the Resistance publicity.

Last edited:

MightyBigEgo

War Hero
Speak to the French and every man, woman, child and dog during the war was in the Resistance. There were no such things as collaborators in France. It was, according to the French, the Germans who deported the Jews in Vichy France, not their own countrymen. The French are very good to get the Resistance press as it hides their national shame.

Yokel

LE
Here is one with a definite 'What the f*** were they thinking?' theme: German Defence Minister leaving Strasbourg:

Blacks uniforms
Black helmets
White webbing
Burning torches

Where else have we seen a political movement that embraced these things?

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
This has been on ARRSE before, I can't remember the thread. Appearantly the ceremony predates nazism and probably WW1.

Here is one with a definite 'What the f*** were they thinking?' theme: German Defence Minister leaving Strasbourg:

Blacks uniforms
Black helmets
White webbing
Burning torches

It is actually 'tradition'.
The Prussian State colours originating in the Teutonic Knights back and white continued through the various iterations of Berlin 'Wacht' units and the white belts were maintained by Liebstandsrte Adolf Hitler for that same reason.

So really - it predates the Third Reich era. Tradition.

rifleair

War Hero
It is actually 'tradition'.
The Prussian State colours originating in the Teutonic Knights back and white continued through the various iterations of Berlin 'Wacht' units and the white belts were maintained by Liebstandsrte Adolf Hitler for that same reason.

So really - it predates the Third Reich era. Tradition.
And the swastika predated the nazi era too, but it is still seen as their symbol, to the layman these ceremony's could appear to be symbolic of that era too.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
A few weeks ago, my younger brother and I had a wander around Europe on our tin donkeys , he wanted me to show him where my Grandfather visited on his 1914-1919 all inclusive package tour with the 112 London Foot and Mouth Regiment, we clocked a few miles and visited many other interesting places where history was made, and paid our respects, and gave thanks for the freedom we now enjoy, one afternoon, after visiting Mons I took my Brother to Saint Symphorium Cemetery, I always find it a moving place to visit , as here lie the young men who faced a much larger army, and did not back down!
as we were about to leave a car pulled up and an elderly white haired gentleman asked us if we would come back to his house and take a drink with him, now my brother had arranged something for later, but I said cancel it, we are being asked for a reason, I travel a great deal, usually on my own and many times have been invited by kind people into their homes, and made lifelong friends.
We followed the car back a short distance and Christian bade us enter his lovely home, and introduced us to his wife Marie Claire, she still has a sparkle in her eyes, but could not speak more than a few words of English, my French is rubbish, but Christian sat us down and opened a bottle of low alcohol wine for us ( I do not drink and my brother cannot)
he told us in his schoolboy English along with many french words that we translated that they had been married nearly 70 years, they were both born in the village adjoining the cemetery and knew each others families as children, Both of their fathers did military service together and he showed us his Fathers Album from the 11th Regiment of Artillery ( anti aircraft) , When Germany started their invasion of Poland, Christians Father, who as a child had known the horrors of the great war, sat down at the dinner table one evening and told the family that soon the Nazis would move South into Belgium and it was likely to last 5 years, changes were made and plans put into action, As the Nazis moved nearer Christians mother along with many others moved south into France to escape the bombing and violence they carried their possessions as best they could and tramped day and night sleeping wherever they found shelter , when they got to Lens, the Germans overran them and met the B.E.F. , he described the Nazi planes with mitrailettes ( machine guns ?) diving low and firing on the helpless civilians on the roads, as they ran for the ditches, this scared little 5 year old boy, was grabbed by a British Tommy who took of his own safety helmet and placed it over Christians head, and sheltered him with his body, by now he was crying remembering the fear, and the bravery and kindness of that young unnamed soldier, soon trapped in the middle of the battle, they had no choice but to return and try to repair the damage caused by the Nazis and live under the thugs for 5 years,
now both families worked on the local farms, but when the Nazis moved South Christians father, his brother and his wife's father were swiftly called up and made ready, they were based in the area on an anti aircraft gun, but soon the vile nazis overran Belgium, and Christians father was imprisoned like so many others, before his father was taken away to a labour camp, his mother managed to get him close enough to the vehicles to speak for a few minutes, his father produced a small clockwork motor car and said to him, I will keep this with me to remind me of you, and when next we meet you will know me by the car in my hand, shortly afterwards they were taken away, Christians father and brother ended up working on a farm in Bavaria in the forest and survived the war, when he was returned post war, Christian was waiting to meet him along with thousands of other wives and children, his father came up and put his hand in his pocket and produced the now battered toy car, he had kept his promise to Christian, understandably he was in tears as he held it out, he said when I hold this I am with my Father again, his father is Buried in the Cemetery nearby.

we were Honoured to Meet Christian and Marie Claire, and on our long Journey South that evening to Arras that small boy was in our minds, oddly my Father is only a few years older, perhaps I can arrange for them to meet
so look at the pictures I took with a rubbish camera phone, and see the love in their eyes, they have a large loving family, and look at that small motor car and imagine how much emotion that holds
and thanks to that young Tommy whoever he was for looking after a frightened five year old child, he was a Lion against an Army of weak minded thugs, we raised our glasses to him and to freedom
IMG_20190801_162632.JPG
IMG_20190801_163601.JPG
IMG_20190801_163605.JPG
IMG_20190801_170758.JPG
IMG_20190801_171951.JPG
IMG_20190801_172635.JPG
IMG_20190801_172640.JPG

Last edited:

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
And the swastika predated the nazi era too, but it is still seen as their symbol, to the layman these ceremony's could appear to be symbolic of that era too.
At one time Morris Motor Car engines had a Swastika cast onto the connecting rods for luck, one particular forge always marked their castings such, quite a few of the BEFs vehicles would have been so equipped

At one time Morris Motor Car engines had a Swastika cast onto the connecting rods for luck, one particular forge always marked their castings such, quite a few of the BEFs vehicles would have been so equipped
There was a Swastika laundry in Dublin, founded in 1912:

A few weeks ago, my younger brother and I had a wander around Europe on our tin donkeys , he wanted me to show him where my Grandfather visited on his 1914-1919 all inclusive package tour with the 112 London Foot and Mouth Regiment, we clocked a few miles and visited many other interesting places where history was made, and paid our respects, and gave thanks for the freedom we now enjoy, one afternoon, after visiting Mons I took my Brother to Saint Symphorium Cemetery, I always find it a moving place to visit , as here lie the young men who faced a much larger army, and did not back down!
as we were about to leave a car pulled up and an elderly white haired gentleman asked us if we would come back to his house and take a drink with him, now my brother had arranged something for later, but I said cancel it, we are being asked for a reason, I travel a great deal, usually on my own and many times have been invited by kind people into their homes, and made lifelong friends.
We followed the car back a short distance and Christian bade us enter his lovely home, and introduced us to his wife Marie Claire, she still has a sparkle in her eyes, but could not speak more than a few words of English, my French is rubbish, but Christian sat us down and opened a bottle of low alcohol wine for us ( I do not drink and my brother cannot)
he told us in his schoolboy English along with many french words that we translated that they had been married nearly 70 years, they were both born in the village adjoining the cemetery and knew each others families as children, Both of their fathers did military service together and he showed us his Fathers Album from the 11th Regiment of Artillery ( anti aircraft) , When Germany started their invasion of Poland, Christians Father, who as a child had known the horrors of the great war, sat down at the dinner table one evening and told the family that soon the Nazis would move South into Belgium and it was likely to last 5 years, changes were made and plans put into action, As the Nazis moved nearer Christians mother along with many others moved south into France to escape the bombing and violence they carried their possessions as best they could and tramped day and night sleeping wherever they found shelter , when they got to Lens, the Germans overran them and met the B.E.F. , he described the Nazi planes with mitrailettes ( machine guns ?) diving low and firing on the helpless civilians on the roads, as they ran for the ditches, this scared little 5 year old boy, was grabbed by a British Tommy who took of his own safety helmet and placed it over Christians head, and sheltered him with his body, by now he was crying remembering the fear, and the bravery and kindness of that young unnamed soldier, soon trapped in the middle of the battle, they had no choice but to return and try to repair the damage caused by the Nazis and live under the thugs for 5 years,
now both families worked on the local farms, but when the Nazis moved South Christians father, his brother and his wife's father were swiftly called up and made ready, they were based in the area on an anti aircraft gun, but soon the vile nazis overran Belgium, and Christians father was imprisoned like so many others, before his father was taken away to a labour camp, his mother managed to get him close enough to the vehicles to speak for a few minutes, his father produced a small clockwork motor car and said to him, I will keep this with me to remind me of you, and when next we meet you will know me by the car in my hand, shortly afterwards they were taken away, Christians father and brother ended up working on a farm in Bavaria in the forest and survived the war, when he was returned post war, Christian was waiting to meet him along with thousands of other wives and children, his father came up and put his hand in his pocket and produced the now battered toy car, he had kept his promise to Christian, understandably he was in tears as he held it out, he said when I hold this I am with my Father again, his father is Buried in the Cemetery nearby.

we were Honoured to Meet Christian and Marie Claire, and on our long Journey South that evening to Arras that small boy was in our minds, oddly my Father is only a few years older, perhaps I can arrange for them to meet
so look at the pictures I took with a rubbish camera phone, and see the love in their eyes, they have a large loving family, and look at that small motor car and imagine how much emotion that holds
and thanks to that young Tommy whoever he was for looking after a frightened five year old child, he was a Lion against an Army of weak minded thugs, we raised our glasses to him and to freedom
View attachment 412807View attachment 412808View attachment 412809View attachment 412810View attachment 412811View attachment 412812View attachment 412813
I will await the film coming out, if you don't mind

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't have a photo, but the swastika is clearly in the floor pattern in York Minster.

ETA - my friend google.
YMFloor.jpg

"The most famous Belgian ever is a fictional character - Hercules Poirot. And everyone thinks he's French."
Rubbish, Tin Tin is a much more famous Belgian.
As is King Leopold II.

Last edited:

Blacks uniforms
Black helmets
White webbing
Burning torches

I see grey uniforms for the army and Air Force blue uniforms for the Air Force. I don’t see any black uniforms.

Latest Threads