Photos that make you think.

@Stovepipe - Teaching our kids to look around, be aware and reassess is an unfair advantage over their peers. It shouldn't be, but it is an unfair advantage I would gift to any young person I can.

@Draft Dodger - Bathroom? Broom cupbaord is traditional - and also a better, hands-on interpretive experience. And leaves the loo free .

On the other side a Major in the HLI who used to work for me told me of motoring across the North German plain when some HJ enthusiast took pot-shots at them from a wood. The CO "Get that wood cleared" and so on down the line 'til a Corporal and his section were detailed off to do the job. They entered the wood, fired a few shots in the air "Wood cleared, sir"

Nobody wanted to die at that stage in the war.

By the way I have the Vandeluer Memorial Challenge Trophy sitting on my desk just now. It belongs to the West of Scotland Small-bore Rifle Association and is still being shot for every year. Slight variation in the spelling but it is an unusual name. I wonder if there is a connection.
Old Anglo Irish family with a long history in the Irish guards.
His cousin was in the regiment at the same time as joe on op market garden.
The bloke who later played the head Nazi in raiders of the lost arc , played his cousin in the longest day.

Was in Poland a couple of years ago and declined to visit the camp , it somehow felt a bit voyeuristic.Perhaps the time has come to bulldoze the camps and leave simple monument and allow the dead to rest free of tourist tours?
I can understand that; I went to on a visit with a number of others to Belsen while we were on exercise nearby.
However, the wife and I have been on a few short-breaks to Munich but have never gone to the on-the-doorstep, Dachau.
I couldn't reconcile being on holiday with taking a trip to a KZ.

On the other side a Major in the HLI who used to work for me told me of motoring across the North German plain when some HJ enthusiast took pot-shots at them from a wood. The CO "Get that wood cleared" and so on down the line 'til a Corporal and his section were detailed off to do the job. They entered the wood, fired a few shots in the air "Wood cleared, sir"

Nobody wanted to die at that stage in the war.

By the way I have the Vandeluer Memorial Challenge Trophy sitting on my desk just now. It belongs to the West of Scotland Small-bore Rifle Association and is still being shot for every year. Slight variation in the spelling but it is an unusual name. I wonder if there is a connection.
Needed to look up the first name.
Giles Vandeleur - Wikipedia
Was through Kilrush last year, taking the ferry.
Nice town.
Family still v much acknowleged.

They are great shots, but the photo of "Royal Marine Commandos of Headquarters, 4th Special Service Brigade, making their way from LCI(S) (Landing Craft Infantry Small) onto 'Nan Red' Beach" always gives me a bit of a laugh (I shouldn't of course).

It is one of the very few photos of British troops actually disembarking on D-Day and hence it is used very frequently to illustrate stories on the landings. Brave men all, no doubt and I take my hat off to them, but you think they could have taken a pic of a bloke that didn't look like Charles Hawtrey from the Carry On movies mincing through the surf.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
They are great shots, but the photo of "Royal Marine Commandos of Headquarters, 4th Special Service Brigade, making their way from LCI(S) (Landing Craft Infantry Small) onto 'Nan Red' Beach" always gives me a bit of a laugh (I shouldn't of course).

It is one of the very few photos of British troops actually disembarking on D-Day and hence it is used very frequently to illustrate stories on the landings. Brave men all, no doubt and I take my hat off to them, but you think they could have taken a pic of a bloke that didn't look like Charles Hawtrey from the Carry On movies mincing through the surf.
My Father, who was in 30 AU Royal Marines, landed with the Canadian forces on Nan Red beach and fought as infantry alongside them for the next 48 hours until the area was secure. He would have been interested in your comments.

I heard somewhere (Daily Heil probably) that the Charles Hawtrey lookalike survived the war and picked up a GM on the way.

Frozen German soldiers, piled up ready for disposal on the Russian front.

zzxxzzdv5Oni-P-a72KvzS75YxryxCtKtECGim-6aPCYQxRJw.jpg

Not a child but we drove past the KZ at Dachau and my wife wanted to go in. We did not and I have no regret about the decision. Reading the "Scourge of the Swastika" at age 16 made it very clear to me.
I have been there and though I am not religious I felt my 'soul' not necessarily 'cleaner' but a little more humble after. Several years later I visited Bergen-Belsen which has a totally different effect on one.

I heard somewhere (Daily Heil probably) that the Charles Hawtrey lookalike survived the war and picked up a GM on the way.
Really, good for him, is there a link? Like I said I feel bad about poking fun at a guy who was putting his life on the line so that geezers like me could enjoy the comfort and freedom to gently take the piss at him several decades later.

image.jpeg

I first saw this photograph over 30 years ago and I've never forgotten it,within a few weeks of this being taken the Marine was posted MIA.

View attachment 392612
I first saw this photograph over 30 years ago and I've never forgotten it,within a few weeks of this being taken the Marine was posted MIA.
...must have been taken on pre-ops training then.. that rocket looks very like a prac round!

Latest Threads