Photos that make you think.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
That final resting place could only get better if he'd been cremated.

Then he'd still be able to get into the girls knickers.
German crematoria were a bit busy?

I think the saying 'I could sleep on a clothes line' come from that 19th cent custom of sleeping in that way. I remember reading about it some years ago, it was about a farthing ( quarter of an old penny) for a nights kip in a dos house, apparently even the ropes got fleas on them.

IIRC there is social historical evidence that states this rope method was used as a pragmatic way of ensuring that the clients - many/most of them chronic alcoholics - didn't choke themselves to death by vomiting whilst sleeping in a conventional position.

Apparently these flop houses did in fact also have bunk beds and straw palliass' available for other classes of tenant - presumably allocated according to a scale of cost and sobriety.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
If one wants to study the London poor close up, go to

London Labour and the London Poor (Vol. 1 of 4) by Henry Mayhew

& continue to vols 2-4. Somewhere in all that you will find the pure-finder, an old woman who earned her living picking up dog-sh!t with her fingers and selling it on.

Vol 5 (not included) was about the sex trade etc., and has been left out of most republications.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
If one wants to study the London poor close up, go to

London Labour and the London Poor (Vol. 1 of 4) by Henry Mayhew

& continue to vols 2-4. Somewhere in all that you will find the pure-finder, an old woman who earned her living picking up dog-sh!t with her fingers and selling it on.

Vol 5 (not included) was about the sex trade etc., and has been left out of most republications.
Even as late as WW1 men with carts called on houses to have the contents of the 'piss pots' which was poured into a large copper urn, then used in medicinal, and some industrial uses. In our street in the early 60s we had a very old chap who's nick name was 'Bill the Piss' His family used to do the piss collection in former years.

Piss was also used to fix the dyes in wool. They paid a penny a pot, so you will find places called 'Pennypots'. There is a Pennypot Lane between Bisley and Chobham. The info-nerd has spoken.

Piss was also used to fix the dyes in wool. They paid a penny a pot, so you will find places called 'Pennypots'. There is a Pennypot Lane between Bisley and Chobham. The info-nerd has spoken.
Human urine is still used today in the making of Harris tweed..... something to think about next time you wear your tweed jacket ;)

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Human urine is still used today in the making of Harris tweed..... something to think about next time you wear your tweed jacket ;)
I thought that was just the smell of the old codgers wearing tweed!

Latest Threads