Photos that make you think.

View attachment 364938
I despair at some of the so called members of the human race.
Does anyone give a shit anymore? :-x
Strangely, much of Africa has the lead on us in this, although their problem is very much more evident simply because of the geography. Everywhere, and in the remotest of areas, this can be seen:
ecape.jpg

...and these countries have banned, or have severe restrictions on the use of plastic bags:
africa-bags.jpg

Most of ours go to landfill, so that's all right; plate tectonics'll solve the problem eventually.

The main problem was 'decomposition' with the heat. Patrols could be 8 to 10 miles into primary and secondary jungle, which sometimes took a few days to walk out. Most patrols were less than 6 or 8 men. The CT kit, equipment and documents were carried out, but not the bodies, they were sometimes buried. I saw heads but never had occasion to witness the 'cutting off'. When cut off they were carried on bamboo poles between two men and wrapped in face veils or such. In most cases the bodies were choppered out. Our Bn mostly did that. Our coy chopper pad was next to the cookhouse, the bodies were dropped off and left in a line side by side on the grass. I saw quite a few men on witnessing CT head wounds and brains hanging out, just leave the queue and forego their meal.

The enemy were called CT but really they were 'Soldiers' many of them had fought against the Japanese. CT that were captured or the SEP were quite impressive, some carried Bren Guns, and always had them in fine condition. Malaya was called an 'emergency' as apposed to a war, so that Rubber planters etc could claim for damage to property or themselves, whereby under war conditions, they couldn't.

One can't really criticize a previous campaign of long ago, the past was quite different, just like a foreign country, or even a foreign army? working under vastly different rules from today.
It was also done at the closing ,end of the Rhodesian Bush war as those on the ground could not be arrsesd with carrying back a body of a dead terr to have it photoed and I’d by the BSAP then buried. Also as said sleeping next to a stiff in the heat overnight was a major balls ache.

Last edited:
Strangely, much of Africa has the lead on us in this, although their problem is very much more evident simply because of the geography. Everywhere, and in the remotest of areas, this can be seen:
View attachment 364964
...and these countries have banned, or have severe restrictions on the use of plastic bags:
View attachment 364965
Most of ours go to landfill, so that's all right; plate tectonics'll solve the problem eventually.
I used to take expeditions into the remotest areas of Sardinia as well as expeds in the wilds of Wales ,Scotland and the Lake District as well as other places.

Now I would have though those who walk for say 7 hours to get to a remote area would think about trash but in just about every place I went to there was trash left behind.

The only place I never saw plastic / trash was on a canoeing trip down the Zambezi in 92. One reason was all the coke, soda drinks came in glass bottles and had a deposit on them , so kid would even try to steal them if they could.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Maybe, in a forerunner of photoshop, the original photographer edited his plate to remove each man as they were killed, then published the result in 1918.

Certainly, as you are well aware, there is nothing on the internet that is untrue (Except of course that sentence...errr...ahhh...hang on...).
Both photos taken in 1919 with Cameron's posing to illustrate losses.

3C3549EA-01B7-42D7-8666-ACE22F66EFAE.jpeg

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
View attachment 360089

Map of the Somme from 1919, each blue number is the number of bodies recovered in each 250 x 250 metre square.
Saw that at the IWM in London. It stopped me in my tracks when I read what the numbers were and I was deep in thought when SWMBO came back to find what was up and even she stopped for a while when I told her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1543884336451.png

"Here's your broken half shaft back you Reeemy gits !!"

(the pic should go in the "Come and have a go" thread).

Flora Sandes was a British woman who served in the the Royal Serbian Army in World War I. She was the only British woman officially to serve as a soldier in WWI.

zzxxz73_small_1252848690.jpg

Sergeant-Major Flora Sandes playing chess with Serbian comrades during a lull in the fighting

Captain Flora Sandes: ‘the Serbian Joan of Arc’

Life goes on.German soldiers grave on the Havel. Berlin 1946.

zzxxzzGtBOj.jpg

I thought I remembered reading once that Monty was one of the last officers to carry his sword into battle during World War I. Injured too he was I think :?

View attachment 360106
My grandfather was pulled up by him for failing to give an 'Eye right' to the men he was marching passed him coming out of a side turning.

'If you can't spot officers and take the appropriate action here, what are you going to do when you're in France and it's the Germans?'

That and an MC are his claims to fame.

That and surviving two wars. Having spent eleven years fighting the Germans he was none too fond of them.

Latest Threads