Photos that make you think.

268AB16A-4D10-4A80-83AE-847A34189FCA.jpeg
No idea where or when this was taken. Brunei or Malaya maybe?

View attachment 359069
1952 Malaya apparently. Picked up by a Communist newspaper in the ‘States:
Welcome to IpohWorld.org Database Search Engine sponsored by iosc.NET- Admin System
Decapitation of insurgents was a little more unusual – intended as a way of identifying dead guerrillas when it was not possible to bring their corpses in from the jungle. A photograph of a Marine Commando holding two insurgents’ heads caused a public outcry in April 1952. The Colonial Office privately noted that “there is no doubt that under international law a similar case in wartime would be a war crime”. (Britain always denied it was technically at “war” in Malaya, hence use of the term “emergency”).]/quote]

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Malayan Emergency. CTs' heads were brought back out of the ulu for id - lugging the whole body back was hardly practical. Unfortunately this pic got out into the media and caused a fuss.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Not a photo but a whole film to make you think: 'Hitler's Holocaust Railways' with Chris Tarrant (1 1/2 hrs)

My5

Malayan Emergency. CTs' heads were brought back out of the ulu for id - lugging the whole body back was hardly practical. Unfortunately this pic got out into the media and caused a fuss.
I had a school teacher who'd been in Malaya, he told us about this. I think he said it was something the Gurkhas did.

On the long trek from Central America to the US Border Nov 2018 a 4 year old collapses from exhaustion.
One can only imagine the desperation these people must feel to make that long awful walk northwards hoping for a better future only to be turned back when they arrive.

I'll put your photo with this one.
zzxxzz.jpg

The aftermath of the Arndale bomb in Manchester 1996.

There are of course much more disturbing images of IRA bombings than this one, but this makes me think that even Corbyn would have a hard time justifying it!

Would it not have been easier to just take a photo rather than hack off the heads of dead enemy and what? put them in a bergen for the tab out ?

Seems like a bloody weird procedure for PID´ing terrorists. I don´t have any objections, must have scared the shit out of the insurgents when they kept finding the headless bodies of their friends however it seems a little far-fetched.

Aside from the psy-ops value, I dont see the point. Imagine being a new national serviceman out there on your first patrol of your tour and your corpoal passing you a parang and telling you to cut off the heads of all the dead and carry their heads back to base with you.

Would it not have been easier to just take a photo rather than hack off the heads of dead enemy and what? put them in a bergen for the tab out ?

Seems like a bloody weird procedure for PID´ing terrorists. I don´t have any objections, must have scared the shit out of the insurgents when they kept finding the headless bodies of their friends however it seems a little far-fetched.

Aside from the psy-ops value, I dont see the point. Imagine being a new national serviceman out there on your first patrol of your tour and your corpoal passing you a parang and telling you to cut off the heads of all the dead and carry their heads back to base with you.
I agree,
Although the marine is holding the heads, I doubt very much if he had anything to do with their separation from their bodies.
In many cases, I believe there were substantial rewards for the capture, dead or alive of the terrorists offered to locals, which was only paid on proof of the subject's demise- hence the production of the heads to the authorities.
However, I did read recently in a book by Colonel John Cross, that he complained that he for some reason was ordered by his commander to bring the whole body out of the ulu, which JC thought was completely unnecessary.

I agree,
Although the marine is holding the heads, I doubt very much if he had anything to do with their separation from their bodies.
In many cases, I believe there were substantial rewards for the capture, dead or alive of the terrorists offered to locals, which was only paid on proof of the subject's demise- hence the production of the heads to the authorities.
However, I did read recently in a book by Colonel John Cross, that he complained that he for some reason was ordered by his commander to bring the whole body out of the ulu, which JC thought was completely unnecessary.
Yes that would make more sense and explain the smile on the marines face, it is unlikely that he would find it amusing had he been the one to cut them off. Somebody must have just dropped them off for the bounty perhaps although that also seems very un-British.

Is that book any good?, I´m looking for something new to read. Currently reading a book about the arctic conveys in ww2 and it´s bloody depressing and makes me feel cold just reading it.

Latest Threads