Photos that make you think.

I was just referring to the double negative in Oyibos post.
And it was a fair post of yours. It was an unintentional double negative, but it did set me thinking a bit on reflection: I'm erring now more to the side of 'we cannot possibly know' what Brits would have done - or would do nowadays - as the situation that developed in Germany could not be replicated

I lived in a shared house once and we had a German girl in her 20 s move in . Within 2 hrs of being there we were at the pub and she broke down crying and apologised for the war . This was 10 years ago !
Was she fit? :? Pics? :?

When we had the chance to visit Buchenwald I was surprised to find it very ordinary. The sun was shining, and overall it was moving, without a doubt, but very ordinary.

I was expecting the no birds and chilly atmosphere, didn't happen.

In it's way I found that more depressing/scary as it was so ordinary. Had a bad day, been dumped by your girlfriend?
Take it out on an enemy of the state, no comebacks and maybe a tick in the box for being diligent.

Not a photo but I find this truly evil

The banality of evil.
Mrs B_R is a petite but normally exceedingly strong willed and resilient lady .... the visit to Dachau was one of the few occasions I have seen her weep . In the loft ... in a safe place ... there are many boxes of old photographs in general year order ... including those taken during that day at Dachau ... such was the impact on her I could never pain her by us looking at them again together .

. Our troops that liberated Bergan-Belsan acted with the utmost restraint, confronted with the same harrowing scenes. That was a one off....
There'd been a cease-fire negotiated around Belsen, to prevent the escape of the typhus-infected prisoners. Most of the SS had cleared off, the first British & Canadian troops in were medical personnel. The remaining Axis/Hungarian guards stayed in control of the camp perimeter.

It may have been different if pissed-off front-line troops had been the first on the scene.

Bergen-Belsen concentration camp - Wikipedia

I stayed for a few weeks near the French village of 'Oradour Sur Glane, I visited the village and saw it exactly as when 'The 22 SS Panzer Div' had left it in 1944, completely burned out, it is now a French 'memorial. with the graves etc.' While we were there, we saw Germans of varying ages taking 'happy snaps' My wife couldn't understand that, neither could I, so we left. We went back a few days later, there were still Germans there and taking snapshots. To this day given the circumstances I fail to understand why they would want do that? Years earlier visiting places like Dachau and Belson, there were no Germans on site, in fact both places were quite deserted.

I was fairly astounded by this video. The German veterans are smirking like naughty schoolboys, the Dutch lady is gobsmacked. They should have apologised on their knees.

"We saw young men put against the wall and shot, and they'd close the street and then open it and you could pass by again...Don't discount anything awful you hear or read about the Nazis. It's worse than you could ever imagine."
Audrey Hepburn on the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands

You are right , they can be odd . I lived in a shared house once and we had a German girl in her 20 s move in . Within 2 hrs of being there we were at the pub and she broke down crying and apologised for the war . This was 10 years ago !
Was it the, "Yes you did, you invaded Poland" remark that caused the upset?

The following documentary on Bergen-Belsen is on U-Tube and gives a fairly detailed account. The camp is no longer enclosed by a perimeter fence as it was when I visited during the early 70s, but, with the original film footage, should give some idea of the scale. The Allies knew of the existence of the camp in 1944, seven months before its liberation. Originally a Soviet POW camp in 1941/42, it became a Concentration Camp (Kz) later, but was not one of the worst. It was only when it became overcrowded with prisoners from other Concentration Camps and Death Camps, particularly Auschwitz in Poland, that starvation, Typhus and other deadly diseases took hold and the death toll rose out of control.

... To this day given the circumstances I fail to understand why they would want do that? Years earlier visiting places like Dachau and Belson, there were no Germans on site, in fact both places were quite deserted.
I visited Bergen-Belsen while staying with my son who was stationed in the area.
There was quite a contingent of "nationals" studying the photo displays.
I even got the impression some were searching for familiar faces amongst the camp staff.

I was fairly astounded by this video. The German veterans are smirking like naughty schoolboys, the Dutch lady is gobsmacked. They should have apologised on their knees.

"We saw young men put against the wall and shot, and they'd close the street and then open it and you could pass by again...Don't discount anything awful you hear or read about the Nazis. It's worse than you could ever imagine."
"War has its own laws"

Omagh, 1988. Moments before the car in the picture explodes.

View attachment 346765
My wife is from Omagh and was over at the time with my two children, one ten the other three. They had been going to that but as her father had the car and was out drinking they never got to go.

A lucky escape due to his drunkenness? We will never know.

I stayed for a few weeks near the French village of 'Oradour Sur Glane, I visited the village and saw it exactly as when 'The 22 SS Panzer Div' had left it in 1944, completely burned out, it is now a French 'memorial. with the graves etc.' While we were there, we saw Germans of varying ages taking 'happy snaps' My wife couldn't understand that, neither could I, so we left. We went back a few days later, there were still Germans there and taking snapshots. To this day given the circumstances I fail to understand why they would want do that? Years earlier visiting places like Dachau and Belson, there were no Germans on site, in fact both places were quite deserted.
I found it especially repulsive that at a military tribunal in 1953 it was noted that of the 21 soldiers charged with this crime 14 were French citizens from Alsace.

Oradour-sur-Glane massacre - Wikipedia

That is an interesting video. The Dutch lady should not have been surprised at the reaction she got from the old Werhmacht veterans as I have heard Germans of that generation, both men and women, talk like that in regards to the war. It's oddly interesting too that the Germans said they had had to fight the Americans once we invaded, but they didn't mention the UK or the Empire forces that fought from 1939 to the end of the war at all. What do you suppose they thought of the Brits? :?

I found it especially repulsive that at a military tribunal in 1953 it was noted that of the 21 soldiers charged with this crime 14 were French citizens from Alsace.

Oradour-sur-Glane massacre - Wikipedia
The World at War and more recently World War Two in Colour are a valuable, compelling and at times uncomfortable reminder of how a nation considered to be advanced in science, engineering and intellect can instigate and conduct depraved acts. It is good that this has not been censored from history.

That is an interesting video. The Dutch lady should not have been surprised at the reaction she got from the old Werhmacht veterans as I have heard Germans of that generation, both men and women, talk like that in regards to the war. It's oddly interesting too that the Germans said they had had to fight the Americans once we invaded, but they didn't mention the UK or the Empire forces that fought from 1939 to the end of the war at all. What do you suppose they thought of the Brits? :?
I know what some 'Brits' who went there in WW2 thought of them. "The Germans were bastards!"
Heard another in reference to the bombing of Germany cities "We should never have stopped"
Nobody knew, heard or smelled what went on in camps or other sites of unspeakable evil. Three wise monkeys, whether self denial or outright lies.

For a few decades some "ex" Nazis had post war jobs in the military and government. Post reunification, former East Germans in particular seem to have no problem returning to the past. They were still living in the past under a different totalitarian structure until reunification. Some might argue that reunification came too quickly, without sufficient period of preparation and education.

I wonder how the Vichy French are regarded in France now.

It seemed that the Japanese could not and would not contemplate the evils they had committed and as far as I know have still have failed to properly appologise and have failed to educate and inform their youth as it would bring shame on them. Quite ******* right too!!! However, a line seems to have been drawn and we just get on with it.

Every German of this point in time knows what went on in the camps and education on those years is freely available. I'm back from a recent holiday in Berlin and the Topography of Terror museum was a sight to behold and it spared no-one's blushes and several other places I visited, such as a preserved air raid shelter, leaves one in no doubt as to the evil of the Nazis, how much the ordinary citizens were involved and what became of the greater part of the Nazi ranks after WW2.

The World at War and more recently World War Two in Colour are a valuable, compelling and at times uncomfortable reminder of how a nation considered to be advanced in science, engineering and intellect can instigate and conduct depraved acts. It is good that this has not been censored from history.

I know what some 'Brits' who went there in WW2 thought of them. "The Germans were bastards!"
Heard another in reference to the bombing of Germany cities "We should never have stopped"
Nobody knew, heard or smelled what went on in camps or other sites of unspeakable evil. Three wise monkeys, whether self denial or outright lies.

For a few decades some "ex" Nazis had post war jobs in the military and government. Post reunification, former East Germans in particular seem to have no problem returning to the past. They were still living in the past under a different totalitarian structure until reunification. Some might argue that reunification came too quickly, without sufficient period of preparation and education.

I wonder how the Vichy French are regarded in France now.

It seemed that the Japanese could not and would not contemplate the evils they had committed and as far as I know have still have failed to properly appologise and have failed to educate and inform their youth as it would bring shame on them. Quite ******* right too!!! However, a line seems to have been drawn and we just get on with it.
That makes me think "Wow labour Hq was been done up a bit"

Latest Threads