Photos that make you think.

The Story Of Jackie The Baboon Who Fought In The Trenches Of World War I

jackie.jpg

The Story Of The Baboon Who Fought In The Trenches Of World War I

He even acted like all of the other soldiers. When he saw a superior officer pass by he would stand and salute them correctly. He would also light cigarettes for his fellow officers and stand sentry, a job he excelled at due to his heightened sense of smell and hearing.

View attachment 346834

He even acted like all of the other soldiers. When he saw a superior officer pass by he would stand and salute them correctly. He would also light cigarettes for his fellow officers and stand sentry, a job he excelled at due to his heightened sense of smell and hearing.
Hartlepool Pal's Battalion ?

You’re letting the side down here ladies.
I expected at least half a dozen “& I bet he did a better job than *insert regiment/arm here*.
Standards are slipping.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
v1 dropping.jpg

One should perhaps feel guilty for thinking "Thank Christ its's not us".

View attachment 347160

One should perhaps feel guilty for thinking "Thank Christ its's not us".
Extraordinary photograph, it makes you wonder how it was captured, not like there were loads of high speed cameras (outside of photo recon) or CCTV type things around at the time.
Talking to an old boy in the pub who was a young teenager in London during the buzzbombs time and him telling me just how much everyone carried on as normal even though they were bricking themselves when the engines stopped. Apparently people got a feel for if it was going to be close from the sounds, but it was still terrifying.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Believed to be some of the Water Works Victorian buildings in SW London.

Extraordinary photograph, it makes you wonder how it was captured, not like there were loads of high speed cameras (outside of photo recon) or CCTV type things around at the time.
Talking to an old boy in the pub who was a young teenager in London during the buzzbombs time and him telling me just how much everyone carried on as normal even though they were bricking themselves when the engines stopped. Apparently people got a feel for if it was going to be close from the sounds, but it was still terrifying.
My mum and mother-in-law hated them.

My mate's mum used to run out into the garden to see if she could spot them while the noise could still be heard.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
My mum and mother-in-law hated them.

My mate's mum used to run out into the garden to see if she could spot them while the noise could still be heard.
It was almost a feeling of relief when the engine cut out directly above because, contrary to common belief, they did not always nosedive immediately.

Latest Threads