Photos that make you think.

In the "early" days of Op Banner we did form up something like that, but no bayonets and no ammo! There are some pics on Pinterest showing platoons formed up - it did not last long, certainly not even to the end of our first tour.
Wasn't that the situation where they used to unfurl a banner (SWIDT?) ordering the crowd to disperse or they would be fired upon? Seem to recall reading that a newly arrived Bn did that, only to discover that the one they had was written in Arabic - their previous op tour had been Aden!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Did it actually provide us any protection from anything with any velocity?
Bob Mason Chicken Hawk:
Reporter: Does that Flack Jacket STOP Bulletts ?
Vietnam Air Cav Pilot: Reply: "Nah, it doesn't even slow them Down".
On OP banner, IMHO, It made is LOOK alley and therefore we WERE !
But then again we weren't facing hoards of Taliban armed with AK47's !!
Respect to those guys that did even with the new Armour,

Re the American race split, we spend nearly a month a year in Florida & have done for 10yrs. We’ve always noticed that restaurants do employ black, white & Hispanic staff. But the black staff, particularly the older ones, are always the ones with the lower jobs. Table clearers etc. Same goes with malls & hotels. The older blacks are always cleaners.
It’s just the way it is there, but to our Brit eyes it’s quite noticeable.
Same in Dallas a few years back. Day staff at the hotel, all white. Night porters and cleaners, all black.

I came back a bit tipsy one evening and asked the woman on Reception what she felt about it. She looked at me like I was an idiot. As far as she was concerned, she needed a job. It was that simple, and a salutary lesson in terms of both the social security system here in the U.K. and of how some people here make an industry of what a nasty, segregated, racist country we are. We’re not. Far from it.

We then nattered for a bit. On her computer were pictures of her grandchildren, her son (“He works in construction.”) and so on.

I realised later that it was probably one of the few one-on-one conversations she’d ever had with a white person.

As several have noted, I find black Americans very approachable. They’re just not used in some areas to being approached. It’s desperately saddening.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Same in Dallas a few years back. Day staff at the hotel, all white. Night porters and cleaners, all black.

I came back a bit tipsy one evening and asked the woman on Reception what she felt about it. She looked at me like I was an idiot. As far as she was concerned, she needed a job. It was that simple, and a salutary lesson in terms of both the social security system here in the U.K. and of how some people here make an industry of what a nasty, segregated, racist country we are. We’re not. Far from it.

We then nattered for a bit. On her computer were pictures of her grandchildren, her son (“He works in construction.”) and so on.

I realised later that it was probably one of the few one-on-one conversations she’d ever had with a white person.

As several have noted, I find black Americans very approachable. They’re just not used in some areas to being approached. It’s desperately saddening.
Very similar to my experiences in the US. The divide isn't commented on but is felt hugely by European visitors.

"Who's more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?" Obi Wan Kenobi
Cheers, I'm going to use that in the President Trump thread :)

My personal favourite has to be Harold Lloyd he did many of his stunts having blown his thumb and finger off with one of those fake bombs .you know the ones round fuse at the top and bomb written on it.... View attachment 345571
Jackie Chan was inspired by Harold Lloyd amongst others like Buster Keaton and recreated many of his stunts including that one in his early films.

"The Unknown Soldier" by Neil Hanson is an excellent book which goes into probably as much detail as will ever be available regarding how the Unknown Soldier was selected.
It also details other countries unknown soldiers (the chapter about Arlington is particularly interesting) & gives the story of how The Cenotaph came to be.
The book is still available & well worth a read.
There’s a re-creation of the French selection in the tunnels under Verdun. 8 coffins with unknown remains were lined up and a veteran was chosen to select one. Iirc he chose the 6th because his regiment’s number (123rd) added up to 6.

F5947CDC-1FBD-4CFF-8E78-916A44C926E0.jpeg

The remains of a V1 launching ramp in Le bois de huit roués in northern France. As I was looking around it occurred to me that it’s pointing straight at my mum’s house...
(Apparently this was was never used, so it was probably one from La Cupola down the road that knocked it down.)

View attachment 346342
The remains of a V1 launching ramp in Le bois de huit roués in northern France. As I was looking around it occurred to me that it’s pointing straight at my mum’s house...
(Apparently this was was never used, so it was probably one from La Cupola down the road that knocked it down.)
Your mum's selfless act in allowing her house to be targeted, ensured the Rose & Crown was safe for the duration. Her service will not be forgotten.

When my dad was growing up everyone was shit scared of the V1s but his dad’s philosophy was ‘if it’s got your name on it will get you’.

It settled my dad down but did nothing for the folks across the street, Mr and Mrs Doodlebug.

When my dad was growing up everyone was shit scared of the V1s but his dad’s philosophy was ‘if it’s got your name on it will get you’.

It settled my dad down but did nothing for the folks across the street, Mr and Mrs Doodlebug.
As someone once said it's not the bullet with my name on that worries me it's the one's that say to who it may concern

As we were on the subject of alligators a few pages back;

This scene from the 1951 film Distant Drums of a US soldier wading through the Everglades and being bitten by an alligator was the first outing for what became known as the 'Wilhelm Scream'.
As Wiki puts it;
The Wilhelm scream is a stock sound effect of a man screaming that has been used in 388 movies (as of July 2018 ) and countless television series, beginning in 1951 for the film Distant Drums. The scream is often used when someone is shot, falls from a great height, or is thrown from an explosion.

Loads more about the scream here;
The Wilhelm Scream

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
msr ARRSE: Site Issues 1
PartTimePongo ARRSE: Site Issues 37
F Current Affairs, News and Analysis 2