Photos that make you think.

No, bang 'em.

My mate went to an Aggie campus until recently on the GI Bill, whatever it is sponsorship. And being a ruffty, tuffty, ex-marine SF type with good patter he got to know a few of the girls rather well. He went to the Aggie as he knew that he could get the degree faster than the normal 4 years there, he managed to get all the credits out of the way in just under 3 years - so he still has money in the GI Bill bank for a Masters*.

Note: For those who do not know. Completing a term of service in the US military gives you 4 years worth of study sponsorship - including some study material costs and some living expenses. It does not matter what the study is as long as it is officially recognised.

'Like' doesn't really convey the thought properly. More, 'Yeah, I think you're right.'

There was a Canadian airborne Lt Col killed in the woods just up the road from here. He parachuted into a tree during Op Varsity and, while he was dangling there, a German patrol approached and machine gunned him. That was probably a very, very long 'Oh sh1t' period.
Jeff Nicklin - Wikipedia

No, bang 'em.

My mate went to an Aggie campus until recently on the GI Bill, whatever it is sponsorship. And being a ruffty, tuffty, ex-marine SF type with good patter he got to know a few of the girls rather well. He went to the Aggie as he knew that he could get the degree faster than the normal 4 years there, he managed to get all the credits out of the way in just under 3 years - so he still has money in the GI Bill bank for a Masters*.

Note: For those who do not know. Completing a term of service in the US military gives you 4 years worth of study sponsorship - including some study material costs and some living expenses. It does not matter what the study is as long as it is officially recognised.
I've never met an Aggie I never liked.
I love the way they 'cough' at Pointers.
Same with Norwich and Citadel.

From the Daily Mail:- WW1 picture shows imprint of German officer who fell from Zeppelin | Daily Mail Online
The picture of the imprint of a German officer is quite disturbing.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
My grandfather, who was RA in WWI, left me the entire collection of those stereograms and the viewers (now sadly lost).

I can confirm that the 3D effect works and that picture stuck in my memory from forty years back.

It looks like something from a Tom and Jerry cartoon. Then you see the detail.

Balance at the edge of the twenty-storey building. New York, 1900
Photos that make you think?

It makes me think he was barking mad... :)

I'm going to leave this picture of a park in Shanghai China here for a while without an explanation.

1533739943571.png

The picture is not what you think it is at first glance.

It's the bike pile. Took me a little time to get it. But I understand people have made money out of this. That's what happens when you don't have a certain type of people in your county who remove bikes from lampposts.

It's the bike pile. Took me a little time to get it. But I understand people have made money out of this. That's what happens when you don't have a certain type of people in your county who remove bikes from lampposts.
Correct.
The article inked below shows there are hundreds of these abandoned bike piles in Shanghai, Xiamen, and Beijing.
Bicycles
Last year, bike sharing took off in China, with dozens of bike-share companies quickly flooding city streets with millions of brightly colored rental bicycles. However, the rapid growth vastly outpaced immediate demand and overwhelmed Chinese cities, where infrastructure and regulations were not prepared to handle a sudden flood of millions of shared bicycles.
Riders would park bikes anywhere, or just abandon them, resulting in bicycles piling up and blocking already-crowded streets and pathways. As cities impounded derelict bikes by the thousands, they moved quickly to cap growth and regulate the industry. Vast piles of impounded, abandoned, and broken bicycles have become a familiar sight in many big cities.
As some of the companies who jumped in too big and too early have begun to fold, their huge surplus of bicycles can be found collecting dust in vast vacant lots. Bike sharing remains very popular in China, and will likely continue to grow, just probably at a more sustainable rate.
Meanwhile, we are left with these images of speculation gone wild—the piles of debris left behind after the bubble bursts.
Lots and lots of bike piles

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
View attachment 318419 View attachment 318420 As part of my Masters I wrote an essay comparing the Soviet Union's experience in Afghanistan with that of the Americans in Vietnam. One of the things I touched on was the media, particularly still photography. I selected nick Ut's image of the aftermath of a napalm attack and Tim McCurry's haunting colour image of an Afghan refugee.

I was awarded the highest mark for any piece of work I ever did and seriously considered following up for my dissertation - instead I chose an analysis of intelligence in the post Cold War era.
Presumably, you were aware of the truth behind Mr Ut's picture because most people are not. The Widely Misunderstood Story Behind The Iconic Image Of "Napalm Girl"

A French military diver member of the FS Pluton M622 navy de-mining ship, swims above the wreck of a USAAF P-47 Thunderbolt fighter plane, which crashed in 1944 during the Second Wold War, off the French Mediterranean island of Corsica. The U.S. Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency (DPAA) along with the help of the French navy are using divers to search for any remains of the U.S. pilots that died during WWII, and to identify them using their DNA. #

Boris Horvat / AFP / Getty
1533807179651.png

wtf ??

1533828976141.png

Military aircraft enthusiasts watch as a United States Air Force F-15 fighter jet travels at low altitude through the "Mach Loop" series of valleys near Dolgellau, Wales, on June 26, 2018.
Oli Scarff / AFP / Getty

Presumably, you were aware of the truth behind Mr Ut's picture because most people are not. The Widely Misunderstood Story Behind The Iconic Image Of "Napalm Girl"
The article doesn't really add or detract from the power of the photo. The point I made in my essay was that there was little traditional war photography from the Soviet Afghan war and thus there was a variance in public influence. Ironically one of my favourite images is Steve McCurry's Afghan Girl from that war. I saw an exhibition of his work by accident when I had several hours to kill in Birmingham [like you do]. A true master of the art.

wtf ??

View attachment 345541
Military aircraft enthusiasts watch as a United States Air Force F-15 fighter jet travels at low altitude through the "Mach Loop" series of valleys near Dolgellau, Wales, on June 26, 2018.
Oli Scarff / AFP / Getty
When I was about 12 [circa 1977] I went climbing with my brother in Wales - my first experience and I caught the bug big time. I was half way up a climb when of all things a bloody Vulcan flew down the valley, seemingly below my level. It was followed by two more.

Latest Threads