Photos that make you think.

All Quiet on the Western Front.
The one with Ernest Borgnine and Ron Howard.
Conversation along the lines of 'Who taught you to do this?"
"We learned it in training"
"If the enemy catch you with this, they'll pluck out your eyes and fill them with sawdust".
Richard Thomas, aka "Johnboy" from the Waltons

Ron Howard was Opie Taylor

"Naughty boys get bottom marks"
Thinking about it though - wasn't Himmeltross just as much a victim of German Imperial society as the boys? He was a minor bourgeois postman in a highly stratified society who 'the fine gentlemen' of the gymnasium used to enjoy humiliating - so when he had his chance for revenge he took it.

Thinking about it though - wasn't Himmeltross just as much a victim of German Imperial society as the boys? He was a minor bourgeois postman in a highly stratified society who 'the fine gentlemen' of the gymnasium used to enjoy humiliating - so when he had his chance for revenge he took it.
I met a few drill pigs like that once...
Yes, they did their job, but were in the main sadistic cnuts

In the 1930s film he is portrayed as quite friendly to Baumer et al while as a postman, leading them all to be quite shocked when he proves to be a martinet as a training sergeant to them. Conversely there is a deleted scene in the later remake where the boys humiliate and mock him in public - and it is implied they may have done that before - which somewhat changes how sympathetic the character is. On balance I think removing that scene was the better decision.

Or it could be that being A DI makes you a *****...... ('Drill Pig' in your money I believe)

*This hurts, but several mates became DIs and they were fine...... but then I wasn't exactly a recruit when I knew them, and didn't know when I was that most of it was an act.......

In the 1930s film he is portrayed as quite friendly to Baumer et al while as a postman, leading them all to be quite shocked when he proves to be a martinet as a training sergeant to them. Conversely there is a deleted scene in the later remake where the boys humiliate and mock him in public - and it is implied they may have done that before - which somewhat changes how sympathetic the character is. On balance I think removing that scene was the better decision.
Again, been a while since I saw it, but IIRC, in the version I saw, they threw a sack over his head and gave him a spanking with his pace stick.
Ian Holm - great actor

Or it could be that being A DI makes you a *****...... ('Drill Pig' in your money I believe)

*This hurts, but several mates became DIs and they were fine......
Being a National Serviceman, and coming under the 'PF' - ie Permanent Force - muppets, who were very often National Party 'protected employment' types, we experienced a lot of stuff which went far far beyond the 'opfok' (work it out yourself) which we expected.
Did I enjoy Basic? Nope. Who did?
But the lines between the needed training and bullying were crossed on more than one occasion.

Blissfully unaware as I was aged 13, I got out of Dad's black Beetle after it cannoned into the Singer which is embedded into the road island not realising he was pissed as a fart ( and on his way to topping self 5 years later)
I only discovered a few years back looking through a large container of family records he had been fines the princely sum of £10/17s/6d for DD. I guess he got points too, or perhaps a ban but I cannot recall.

Tough wee buggers these Beetles and fortunately so was my skull!
Makes me think....;)
It survived to putt putt another day.

"Oh please Dad(me) don't make me join up. I'll eat dinner...honest!

Glasgow Art Gallery.

Last edited:
Being a National Serviceman, and coming under the 'PF' - ie Permanent Force - muppets, who were very often National Party 'protected employment' types, we experienced a lot of stuff which went far far beyond the 'opfok' (work it out yourself) which we expected.
Did I enjoy Basic? Nope. Who did?
But the lines between the needed training and bullying were crossed on more than one occasion.
Random question - I joined-up in the 1980s so have no idea what NS was like, though bits of 'Get Some In' (less the dreaded Cpl Marsh) rang true to my experience, how much of that and/or 'Bad lad's Army' was it like?

Blissfully unaware as I was aged 13, I got out of Dad's black Beetle after it cannoned into the Singer which is embedded into the road island not realising he was pissed as a fart ( and on his way to topping self 5 years later)
I only discovered a few years back looking through a large container of family records he had been fines the princely sum of £10/17s/6d for DD. I guess he got points too, or perhaps a ban but I cannot recall.
Did they have points in those days?
When was the DD automatic 1-yr ban law brought in?

Random question - I joined-up in the 1980s so have no idea what NS was like, though bits of 'Get Some In' (less the dreaded Cpl Marsh) rang true to my experience, how much of that and/or 'Bad lad's Army' was it like?
Not random at all, and I'm happy to expand.
The letters arrived - report at XYZ railway station at 0Xh00 on X January.
The carriages were marked by destination, and also took a very low priority. So it could take 3 days to get to the destination, with a lot of carriage-shuttling at various stops.
Because of the 'system', you'd arrive at the destination not knowing anybody - no pals army here! - and get beasted from the moment you stepped off the train.
And meeting a lot of chaps from the 'other side of the tracks', whose standards of cleanliness, nor their education,
matched what I was used to.
(CR being an elitist here!)
Yes, many of us, having been warned, knew the physical side of it would be a bit harsh, had added to our school/college rugby or athletics regime before we pitched.
The whole 'lowest common denominator' theory applied, though.
Very much like Private Pyle in FMJ.
It was 'opfok' because some cnut couldn't grasp the concept that he actually had tasks to perform, and collective punishment was the norm.
The 'soap party' in FMJ? Yes. A collective pummeling on a miscreant (wish we'd known about the soap...).
An enforced scrubbing with a broom, for some dirty cnut who couldn't the grasp the need for personal hygiene? I was holding the firehose.
Any Saffer will tell you similar tales.

BUT back to your question... yes, the PFs were generally a bunch of semi-literates who enjoyed bullying.
Some chaps, who really had the 'duty' imbedded in them, would take the time to explain why we had to do stuff. Thank you, Sarge!
But most thought just inflicting pain (and injury) and humiliation on the recruits was their God-given right.

Both are worth adding to the collection but it's also worth noting they can be found on youtube. The later (70s) version I saw on youtube includes scenes not shown on the tv one which dad recorded for me when I was young. Nothing hugely groundbreaking there but I enjoyed the extra scenes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
msr ARRSE: Site Issues 1
PartTimePongo ARRSE: Site Issues 37
F Current Affairs, News and Analysis 2