Photos that make you think.

If you get a chance to visit the Hoover Dam do it. What caught my eye was the water seeping around the edges of the dam, they make a point of saying its seeping not leaking. Either way it shows nature will win in the end.

If you get a chance to visit the Hoover Dam do it. What caught my eye was the water seeping around the edges of the dam, they make a point of saying its seeping not leaking. Either way it shows nature will win in the end.
It will certainly be spectacular if it lets go.

Not the Hoover dam, but one of the US' worst engineering disasters was the St Francis dam disaster in 1928 just 2 years after construction.

lw2642b.jpg

SCVHistory.com LW2642b | St. Francis Dam Disaster | Crack in the Wing Dike After Break, Ex-SFPUC Archives

Unidentified man inspects a shinkage crack in the wing dike (right or western abutment) of the St. Francis Dam after it failed. (Shrinkage cracks occur as concrete cures.) The man is examining what appears to be oakum, a soluble fiber that expands when wet and is used to plug leaks. The trouble is, it's on the downstream (dry) side of the dam.
"Oakum plugging would have been fine," says St. Francis Dam engineering expert J. David Rogers, "IF it had been applied on the upstream face of the dam. Plugging the downstream face was, essentially, a potentially fatal flaw."

It's a bit like sticking your finger in a volcano to prevent it from erupting. You would need to cap it off from the inside.

Photograph shot on or shorly after March 13, 1928. The dam collapsed at 23:57:30 on March 12 and it took about 72 minutes for the 12.5-billion-gallon reservoir to empty (Outland 1977).

Not the Hoover dam, but one of the US' worst engineering disasters was the St Francis dam disaster in 1928 just 2 years after construction.

View attachment 331621

SCVHistory.com LW2642b | St. Francis Dam Disaster | Crack in the Wing Dike After Break, Ex-SFPUC Archives

Unidentified man inspects a shinkage crack in the wing dike (right or western abutment) of the St. Francis Dam after it failed. (Shrinkage cracks occur as concrete cures.) The man is examining what appears to be oakum, a soluble fiber that expands when wet and is used to plug leaks. The trouble is, it's on the downstream (dry) side of the dam.
"Oakum plugging would have been fine," says St. Francis Dam engineering expert J. David Rogers, "IF it had been applied on the upstream face of the dam. Plugging the downstream face was, essentially, a potentially fatal flaw."

It's a bit like sticking your finger in a volcano to prevent it from erupting. You would need to cap it off from the inside.

Photograph shot on or shorly after March 13, 1928. The dam collapsed at 23:57:30 on March 12 and it took about 72 minutes for the 12.5-billion-gallon reservoir to empty (Outland 1977).
Probably the first ever bloke to finger a dyke.

Shamelessly lifted from Pinterest.

View attachment 328096

Polish cavalry bloke with balls the size of watermelons engages a Wehrmacht motorcycle combo (I presume Poland 1939)

View attachment 328097

Rommel helping push a stuck vehicle out of the sand.

I've met several British *-level Army officers and i cannot imagine one doing this................
I remember reading about a soldier at Arnhem one night in the Oosterbeek pocket being helped to move some ammunition boxes by another soldier, who he later realised was none other than Maj Gen Urquhart, Commander 1st Airborne Division. So it wasn't only Rommel! I can think of a few senior British officers who I would imagine would do the same.

View attachment 331621

That looks more like a frangible gauge.

View attachment 331494

The wreckage of Rudolf Hess' Messerschmitt Bf 110D "VJ+OQ", Werk Nr 3869, after crashing at Bonnyton Moor, Scotland, on May 10th, 1941.

I don't suppose we will ever find out the real reason for Hess' "defection", but I believe he thought he could sue for peace with some members of the British aristocracy. It would probably be very embarrassing for some if we ever found out who.
Certainly made me think, took me back to a visit to the Imperial War Museum a few years ago where the wreckage was on display. Think it may still be.

View attachment 331656

Hope the mods don’t mind a cock shot.
I got some skin tags removed around my eyes today at the VA Hospital. The numbing solution stung like fcuk when the surgeon wiped it on. :? No pics though.

Dingerr, that is one hell of a blister.:shock::eek: Excused boots and PT 14 days. March him out sergeant-major. :salut:

Last edited: