Photos that make you think.

I wonder how many Dresdeners protested about the London Blitz or the destruction of Coventry? It pisses me off when people call Dresden a ‘civilian city.’ There was no such thing for the Germans- from Guernica to Rotterdam to the Baedeker raids- ‘sow the wind’ as it was said. They deserved all of the unpleasantness that blew back in their faces.
Actually quite a number would have understood that it was war. They also understood that they would get beat. In fact many would have had an empathy with us Brits cos they were all going through the same thing. You may recall that the unpleasantness with us was not of their making and as I've said before, if the allies hadn't made a sorry mess of the thing in the first place, I could be a Pub Landlord either here or there.

Which mob was grosspapa in, and where did he meet his end?
Serious question.
Opa was actually being demobbed from the Heer and on his way home with demob papers and was in the proximity of Bremen in Landschutz Battalion 497-4th company part of wehrkreis X. It had served on the Russian Front and he was an Obergrefreiter. The unit was for unfit for service through wounds or illness The death cert mentions only "Schaedlebruch" or head injury. He's buried in Osterholz Scharmbeck cemetery. We don't know the exact reason for his death.

It was allegedly a car accident. But then you see his name was Mueller, ( so there's plenty of speculation) I've done extensive checks and can't find any specific RAF raids but I do know that The Canadians and Jocks were in that neck of the woods. Again the legend is that Mum- then 18- had to go by coal lorry, which occasionally came under fire to identify the body, but it seems Grandma was told in writing by his feldwebel where the body was and they apparently knew him from the tone of his letter. My Uncle Ernst was also in but we never had the chance to speak as he died when I was 14 but the few Photos I have of him show him in barracks as a Motorcyclist. But he was Hamburg based and worked for a Brewery.

One thing was for certain. He was diametrically anti NS and the lost his Pub through the machinations of one Karl Rover, Gauleiter. Look up Schulze Boysen and the Kwami affair. Irvings name pops up. Well the church that happened in I was baptized in. It's all rather Third man:-D

Ally as it gets. 506th demolition squad members and inspiration for the dirty dozen June 5th 1944,a few hours before the big shitstorm

Baribeau_4.jpg

I would have smashed her pasty back in the day
When I was at juniors, in the last term we were allowed one poster (not crude) up by our bed spaces.
All the guys have cars and tanks (for we were RAC sproggs) I had this . . .

Even though she did died nearly a dozen years before I was born, she was everything I enjoyed about beautiful women

Canadian CF18 at an airshow, not sure what the cause for the ejection was but it just shows how fine the margins are, waiting just a fraction of a second more would have been fatal.

Decision to eject ..

Jet tentpegs in ..

Shows how close it was ..

View attachment 323580

View attachment 323581

These are my hands in those very early days.

It makes me think how lucky I am that the surgeons’ skill and effort saved as much as they could rather than amputating them.
It's incredible how effective the human body is in protecting itself. There's massive trauma yet the bleeding has stopped, with no, apparent, dressings or compression being applied. It's a fantastic piece of design. Its always amazed me when you read stories of extreme survival how the bodies natural responses have contributed.

one poster (not crude) up by our bed spaces.
All the guys have cars and tanks (for we were RAC sproggs) I had this . . .

Even though she did died nearly a dozen years before I was born, she was everything I enjoyed about beautiful women

[/QUOTE]
Good to look at.

You like the nutty ones?

Last edited:
Canadian CF18 at an airshow, not sure what the cause for the ejection was but it just shows how fine the margins are, waiting just a fraction of a second more would have been fatal.

Decision to eject ..

Jet tentpegs in ..

Shows how close it was ..

From memory (and also the video of the same incident) it was a low level and very high alpha pass and the engines unfortunately responded asymmetrically when he wanted to power out of it. At that speed the yaw created a roll and he banged out ASAFP.

That's a bit harsh. As @Joker62 says what was known about it at the time?

How many people's lives were improved by access to refrigerated food? Or indeed higher performance petrol?

I can't imagine he sat in his lab cackling about the destruction of the ozone layer and the health problems associated with leaded petrol.
CFCs probably not but tetra ethyl lead, certainly. Employees in the plant making it were showing every symptom of lead vapour poisoning up to and including death. Midgely went on an aggressive counter attack which included sniffing the stuff in an effort to prove it safe. Naturally enough the fact it made him very ill wasn’t widely reported,

View attachment 323580

View attachment 323581

These are my hands in those very early days.

It makes me think how lucky I am that the surgeons’ skill and effort saved as much as they could rather than amputating them.
I read about a surgeon who said that one of the most important aspects of treating wounds was to debride thoroughly, that lot must’ve taken some scrubbing.
I bet that split on the end of your pinkie was the thing that stung the most?

Always makes me think. Ox and Bucks LI and their landing, not so much the scaley up the ladder :)
This photo makes me think about the straight technical achievement of getting a glider from the mid Channel release point to within yards of the target.

At night, with no target marking, after minimal training, using not much more than a compass, a stop watch, a basic map and some pretty bloody good dead reckoning navigation.

Having learnt and subsequently taught aerial navigation, and how difficult it can be, IMHO this is one of the supreme feats of WW2.

I know, I’ll never be able to repay the debt to the surgeons.
Just keep doing what you are doing mate.

I would think that after what happened to you, your making something of your life and staying alive to enjoy it is what the surgeons would regard as a success.

...and BTW, it is chaps like you who I find inspirational - and remind me that I shouldn't whine just because I pick up a few aches and pains just through getting older.

All the best

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
msr ARRSE: Site Issues 1
PartTimePongo ARRSE: Site Issues 37
F Current Affairs, News and Analysis 2