Photos that make you think.

Maybe some places had better heating than others?
And on the dams raid, they would not have been at altitude.

Maximum height was 100 feet to avoid radar on the way out
One Lancaster flew so low outbound the bomb was ripped off by the waves on the sea.
On the way back they reportedly flew at "tree top level"
German flack was fired at such a low angle to try and hit them coming out over the Dutch coast that it reportedly hit the sea.
Probably acceptable in the middle of May to go dressed as they did

Good article in today’s Times Magazine.

Bloke tracked down the men in Don McCullins legendary Vietnam photographs.

I won’t bother posting them here as they are so well known.
I have just got around to reading the article, I had not realised he was a photographer for the Times
some stunning images and so very interesting
Selwyn tait is such a handsome man, he looks like an Olympic athlete
and he suffered so much

The conspiracy theorists - and cnuts like Irving - love bringing up and lying about Dresden.
"But Germany was finished..." No, it wasn't, for a fair few months afterwards.
Easy to criticise in hindsight.
Similar to the 'Truman only dropped the bomb because...'
People tend to forget that there was actually a war on, and all that, when they profess their theories.
Based on the info available, smashing Dresden was probably a good idea to the planners.
I wonder how many Dresdeners protested about the London Blitz or the destruction of Coventry? It pisses me off when people call Dresden a ‘civilian city.’ There was no such thing for the Germans- from Guernica to Rotterdam to the Baedeker raids- ‘sow the wind’ as it was said. They deserved all of the unpleasantness that blew back in their faces.

It does raise another point too. I know I was the one that posted it and I just went back to it and had another look and there is one thing that I noticed this time: if you look at some of the crew they have flying boots on, if you look at some of the others, including GG, then they look like they have dress shoes on, but almost certainly not flying boots. No doubt they were the crew but it does look as though it might have been staged by that RAF photographer some time earlier and not them heading off after the photo was taken.
A later version of the flying boot was made like a shoe with boot extension added so that, in the event of baling out in enemy territory, it could be modified to look like a civi shoe.
The guy at right of the photo has a noticeable ridge line halfway up his calf so maybe he's wearing that type.

A later version of the flying boot was made like a shoe with boot extension added so that, in the event of baling out in enemy territory, it could be modified to look like a civi shoe.
The guy at right of the photo has a noticeable ridge line halfway up his calf so maybe he's wearing that type.
That's right, they have one of these boots at Cosford museum with the same explanation.

Yes, I did wonder if they might be these ones, do you think it could be them?:

Description:

The 1943 Pattern ‘Escape’ boots (22/C 435-442) were the version produced and were based on the designs of Major Clayton Hutton at MI9, being field-tested as early as 1942. Consisting of a black leather laced walking shoe and a black zip-up suede legging, the basic principle was simple: in the event of landing in enemy territory, the wearer would separate the leggings from the shoe by using the folded pocket knife that was held in the pocket in the right boot. It was believed that the walking shoe would be less conspicuous and more comfortable than a conventional flying boot for an attempted evasion. The design remained in service with the RAF until the mid-1950s.

Flying boots (pair) black leather and suede sheepskin-lined boots – in the form of black leather Oxford style lace-up ‘shoes’ and black suede with a sheepskin lining uppers, which are fastened by metal zippers, fitted off-centre, and secured by single leather strap/steel buckle arrangements at the tops. Inside the right boot is a concealed pocket cut into the sheepskin lining, designed to contain a small knife. Soles are of leather.

I wonder how many Dresdeners protested about the London Blitz or the destruction of Coventry? It pisses me off when people call Dresden a ‘civilian city.’ There was no such thing for the Germans- from Guernica to Rotterdam to the Baedeker raids- ‘sow the wind’ as it was said. They deserved all of the unpleasantness that blew back in their faces.

I wonder if they interviewed any of the surviving Dresden Jews who had been ordered to report to Gestapo headquarters to arrange a one way trip to a concentration camp whether they regretted the decision to bomb the city.

View attachment 322323

The happy couple, to get there the life events are mind boggling. The younger grandfather, if the other had survived the war would be hitting 47.

Edit if anyone can photoshop the crease out I would pay beer,
Retouching old creased photos is a bit hit and miss, removing the crease actually involves replacing information which isn't there, and rarely produces perfect results, but I gave it a go.

retouched.png

Indeed.

Modern airliner disasters are usually a string of improbable failures not catastrophic in isolation.

For this reason I find such events deeply fascinating.
Google Reeson, Swiss Cheese Model.

The conspiracy theorists - and cnuts like Irving - love bringing up and lying about Dresden.
"But Germany was finished..." No, it wasn't, for a fair few months afterwards.
Easy to criticise in hindsight.
Similar to the 'Truman only dropped the bomb because...'
People tend to forget that there was actually a war on, and all that, when they profess their theories.
Based on the info available, smashing Dresden was probably a good idea to the planners.
..... but then people can keep on telling porkies about what it was really all about then....can't they?:mrgreen: Like it was all part of some small issue in Poland. Of course there was a war on but people really shouldn't pretend that we really cared about the collateral damage. After all the UN has just come to an agreement about Syria.....

Wuss, tis nothing but a scratch, couple of brufen and piece of tubigrip and he'll be right as rain.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Ibrupfrofen? You lightweight. Bit of black & nasty, job jobbed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
msr ARRSE: Site Issues 1
PartTimePongo ARRSE: Site Issues 37
F Current Affairs, News and Analysis 2