Photos that make you think.

Wasn't it the Smoke-free (Premises and Enforcement) Regulation 2006?

I don't follow wendyball so it's an educated guess.
Yeah where the UK when over the top and blamed the EU. UK smoking, owner £3000 and smoker £3000 fine. Holland and Germany owner e300 fine. Smoking areas allowed with extractors and had to have four walks and a roof, so football grounds ok

Eugene sledge, just after the battle of Okinawa June 1945.

m-6205.jpg

Perhaps due to his position slightly further back as a mortarman in K/3/5 1st Marine Division he was one of a few to make it through the battles of Pelielu and Okinawa unwounded. Some 450 men went through his company at Okinawa and another 235 at Pelielu. By his own admission he was amazed that he was only one of 7 men who made it through those campaigns without being killed, wounded or breaking down due to combat fatigue.

His combat memoir 'With the Old Breed at Pelielu and Okinawa' is the most haunting I've ever read, partly because of the scientific style of narrative honed by his post war career as a professor I think.

The following description of the battle for sugar loaf hill at Okinawa sounds like something out of Verdun

By twos and threes, the Company K men forming the front line eased onto a barren, muddy, shell-torn ridge named Half Moon Hill and into the foxholes of the company we were relieving….It was the most ghastly corner of hell I had ever witnessed…The place was choked with the putrefaction of death, decay and destruction. In a shallow defilade to our right…lay about twenty dead Marines, each on a stretcher and covered to his ankles with a poncho… but as I looked out I saw that other Marine dead couldn’t be tended properly. Every crater was half full of water, and many of them held a Marine corpse. The bodies lay pathetically just as they had been killed, half submerged in muck and water, rusting weapons still in hand. Everywhere lay Japanese corpses, killed in the fighting. Swarms of big flies hovered above them…For several feet around every corpse, maggots crawled about in the muck… I believed we had been flung into hell's own cesspool.

Last edited:
It is even more chilling to me when you see the video of the bulldozer in action. I remember coming across it when some pages back Josef Kramer was posted and it came up in one of the links about him and his lover Irme Grese. But, also in this video, seeing the way that the unbelievably emaciated bodies are treated doesn't even come close to imagining what suffering they must have endured to reach the pitiful state that they were in.

That footage has an additional horrific aspect as the corpses appear to show signs of life when they're bulldozed.

Edited for clarification that the corpses being bulldozed create the illusion of living. Not suggesting that they might have been alive.

Last edited:
That footage has an additional horrific aspect as the corpses appear to show signs of life when they're bulldozed.
Not as far as I can tell.

Awful thing to watch.

I can't imagine how the poor sappers who did the clean up ever really got over that.

The ultimate horror

If I had to choose one word to describe that photograph it would be “ Chilling “ .... and as you post recording for posterity some poor bl**dy Sapper in the wrong place at the wrong time having to carry out a task and he would have to live with for the rest of his life .... " Chilling " .
They also used flamethrower tanks to burn the dead and prevent disease, their is a picture at Bovingdon next to one such tank, it also includes the sign from the death camp
1519167039908.png

1519167059298.png

1519167184229.png

An eyewitness account tells of an episode at Birkenau, when hundreds of orphans of the latest deportations couldn't be gassed and burned as the plant was at max chat.

The SS came up with a devilishly simple and brutal method of execution - Bath Night.

The kids, all aged under 12, were stripped and dunked into freezing water, then stood to attention outside for hours on a winters night.

Job jobbed.

An eyewitness account tells of an episode at Birkenau, when hundreds of orphans of the latest deportations couldn't be gassed and burned as the plant was at max chat.

The SS came up with a devilishly simple and brutal method of execution - Bath Night.

The kids, all aged under 12, were stripped and dunked into freezing water, then stood to attention outside for hours on a winters night.

Job jobbed.

Link?

It is even more chilling to me when you see the video of the bulldozer in action. I remember coming across it when some pages back Josef Kramer was posted and it came up in one of the links about him and his lover Irme Grese. But, also in this video, seeing the way that the unbelievably emaciated bodies are treated doesn't even come close to imagining what suffering they must have endured to reach the pitiful state that they were in.

This thread is about photos, but last year I heard an incredibly moving radio programme with survivors singing hymns in one of the camps, soon after they were liberated. Not sure if this is it, but very similar. Singing starts about 2:30

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Eugene sledge, just after the battle of Okinawa June 1945.

View attachment 323149
Perhaps due to his position slightly further back as a mortarman in K/3/5 1st Marine Division he was one of a few to make it through the battles of Pelielu and Okinawa unwounded. Some 450 men went through his company at Okinawa and another 235 at Pelielu. By his own admission he was amazed that he was only one of 7 men who made it through those campaigns without being killed, wounded or breaking down due to combat fatigue.

His combat memoir 'With the Old Breed at Pelielu and Okinawa' is the most haunting I've ever read, partly because of the scientific style of narrative honed by his post war career as a professor I think.

The following description of the battle for sugar loaf hill at Okinawa sounds like something out of Verdun

By twos and threes, the Company K men forming the front line eased onto a barren, muddy, shell-torn ridge named Half Moon Hill and into the foxholes of the company we were relieving….It was the most ghastly corner of hell I had ever witnessed…The place was choked with the putrefaction of death, decay and destruction. In a shallow defilade to our right…lay about twenty dead Marines, each on a stretcher and covered to his ankles with a poncho… but as I looked out I saw that other Marine dead couldn’t be tended properly. Every crater was half full of water, and many of them held a Marine corpse. The bodies lay pathetically just as they had been killed, half submerged in muck and water, rusting weapons still in hand. Everywhere lay Japanese corpses, killed in the fighting. Swarms of big flies hovered above them…For several feet around every corpse, maggots crawled about in the muck… I believed we had been flung into hell's own cesspool.
Also one of the main characters in The Pacific TV series, reading about him on Wiki has led me to purchase his book and both by Robert Leckie, Okinawa and Helmet for my Pillow. I've not read any of them as yet as due to getting a couple of books from @Sixty recently also led to my purchase of the Emperor and Conqueror series of books by Conn Iggulden which I'm wading through.

Dead bodies after the bombing of Dresden by RAF Bomber Command and the USAAF.
The Germans brought in "experts" in body disposal from the local concentration camp.
The SS logged the bodies including contents of bags and pockets.
The bodies were then stacked in the market square and flame throwers were used to cremate them.
The final count was 25,000 Goebbels added an extra zero to the figures when he released then thus creating the myth of 250,000 being killed in the raids.
The day of the raid Dresden's last remaining Jews had been ordered to report to Gestapo HQ for deportation to camps.
The building was destroyed and many of the Jews escaped in the chaos

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
msr ARRSE: Site Issues 1
PartTimePongo ARRSE: Site Issues 37
F Current Affairs, News and Analysis 2