Photos that make you think.

I know we have a few threads on photos you have taken, but this thread is about photos that make you think.
They may be tragic, funny, gruesome or just stunning.
An explanation or link would be good with each photo.
I'll start with a few.

The falling man.
The_Falling_Man.jpg

The Falling Man - Wikipedia

The whole 9/11 tragedy in a snapshot. Burn to death or die from falling. What a choice.

The valley of Death.

Valley_of_the_shadow_of_death.jpg

Valley of the Shadow of Death (Roger Fenton) - Wikipedia

Imagine riding a horse through that lot.

HaroldWhittles.jpg

The picture explains it better than any words could.

http://www.doctorhugo.org/firsttime.html

220px-Evelyn_McHale.jpg

An iconic photo.

Evelyn McHale - Wikipedia

Over to you lot.

I know we have a few threads on photos you have taken, but this thread is about photos that make you think.
I'll start with a few.

The falling man.
View attachment 318351

The whole 9/11 tragedy in a snapshot. Burn to death or die from falling. What a choice.

The valley of Death.

View attachment 318353

View attachment 318354

View attachment 318355

An iconic photo.

Over to you lot.
What sad up themselves idiot labelled McHales death "the most beautiful suicide"?
Presumably someone who's never had to deal with suicides.
The photo is of a dead woman, simple, nothing beautiful about it, no more so than the photos I've taken of suicides and victims of crime.
They were for purposes of investigation and evidence, photo boys taken a happy snap of a corpse for titillation.
I stood next to a parked car once when a man I was attempting to persuade not to jump from a building jumped and landed on its roof.
I should've taken a photo.

Last edited:
Not sure if this makes me want to laugh or cry.

BCE3AB8C-33EB-4E78-AB79-ABADD38A9B7A.jpeg

Two kids were sent by post. Someone put a stamp and address on the kids and had them posted.

The kid looks less than happy.

WTF?

Outlawed by the postal service PDQ.

Last kiss prior to execution. Julius and Ethel Rosenberg, stitched up on spying charges.

What sad up themselves idiot labelled McHales death "the most beautiful suicide"?
Presumably someone who's never had to deal with suicides.
The photo is of a dead woman, simple, nothing beautiful about it, no more so than the photos I've taken of suicides and victims of crime.
They were for purposes of investigation and evidence, photo boys taken a happy snap of a corpse for titillation.
I stood next to a parked car once when a man I was attempting to persuade not to jump from a building jumped and landed on its roof.
I should've taken a photo.

A fairly distant relation of mine committed suicide over Christmas. Her brother did it a few years back as did her father. Lots of people tried to help but it happened. Apart from the hand wringers everyone had more sympathy for those who had to deal with it.

Whoa!

What's the back story?

No good just banging up photos.
Sorry, first is the 1966 Pulitzer prize photo..."Vietnamese villagers fleeing an attack".

Second is presumably Phuket or Phi-Phi Island, boxing day Tsunami, 2004.

I'll start with a few.

The falling man.
View attachment 318351

The valley of Death.

View attachment 318353

View attachment 318354

View attachment 318355

An iconic photo.

Over to you lot.
Falling man looks like he's doing Riverdance.

This photo epitomises what is missing from football today. It is of a team captain lifting the European Cup, the greatest prize of all in the European game. Very few people have had the chance to do this. This particular one is of a guy who grew up in the city, supported the team as a boy, played for the team, captained it, played for the national team and captained that too. He gave his all for the team. Not for £500,000 a week.

The pure joy on Phil Thompson's face in this photo reflects the success he achieved through hard work, dedication and a little bit of skill. I remember the day this photo was taken, I would have been 12 or 13 at the time. Every now and then, if I'm lacking a bit of motivation, and I remember to look up this photo, it gives me the kick in the arrse to get on with it. I know it's my team, but it's more his dedication to his mates and team that does it for me.

This photo epitomises what is missing from football today. It is of a team captain lifting the European Cup, the greatest prize of all in the European game. Very few people have had the chance to do this. This particular one is of a guy who grew up in the city, supported the team as a boy, played for the team, captained it, played for the national team and captained that too. He gave his all for the team. Not for £500,000 a week.

The pure joy on Phil Thompson's face in this photo reflects the success he achieved through hard work, dedication and a little bit of skill. I remember the day this photo was taken, I would have been 12 or 13 at the time. Every now and then, if I'm lacking a bit of motivation, and I remember to look up this photo, it gives me the kick in the arrse to get on with it. I know it's my team, but it's more his dedication to his mates and team that does it for me.

Would be better if he was in a leeds top

Baby cages used to ensure that children get enough sunlight and fresh air when living in an apartment building, ca. 1937:

cool-must-see-black-white-historic-moments-baby-cage.jpg

I much prefer the French brothers documentary, a video rather than photo, but turning the camera away
(About 27:50) “No-one should see this”

Numerous moments, excluding the obvious first impact but the first couple that come to mind are:

the newbie told to stay at the station house to listen to comms constantly stepping out the door thinking he’s got to do something until an old guy turns up and makes the decision for him

The two brothers convinced they’ve lost each other, and their reunion plus the return of everyone of that stations firefighters

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
French children salvaging food from the cars of a wrecked train climb on a Moselle River railway bridge destroyed by the retreating Germans in France on Dec. 5, 1944
tumblr_p1qfsamhW71txdeaio1_540.jpg

Took it to his local when he came home......and left it there overnight.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
msr ARRSE: Site Issues 1
PartTimePongo ARRSE: Site Issues 37
F Current Affairs, News and Analysis 2