Photos show damage to Sub the USS 'San Francisco'

Photos show damage to sub

By Christopher Drew

The New York Times

The Navy has released photographs of the shredded bow of a nuclear submarine that ran into an undersea mountain this month, and officials said they were still assessing the damage.

The photos were taken after the submarine San Francisco limped back to Guam after hitting a mountain that was not on its navigational charts. The photos, released Thursday, show that the head-on crash 500 feet below the surface destroyed a sonar dome that formed the submarine's nose and peeled part of the outer hull.

The Jan. 8 accident killed one sailor and injured 60. Navy officials said the crew took emergency measures to blast to the surface and keep the vessel afloat. The sub's stronger inner hull, which protects living and working spaces, held firm, preventing a disaster.

Lt. Cmdr. Jeff Davis, a spokesman for the Pacific Fleet, said that the fiberglass sonar dome shattered in the crash and that parts were hanging loosely when the submarine returned to port.

The dome carries sonar gear. The Navy placed a tarpaulin over the remaining sonar gear before the photos were taken because the technology is classified, Davis said.

:eek:

cdn_spr said:
I thought most subs had short range, HF(or LF, can't remember) forward looking sonar to avoid this sort of thing
So do aeroplanes - but they still manage to find the side of mountains strangely magnetic 8O 8O

F

fozzy

tattybadger said:
There goes a career or two unless of course the lady driver can claim PMT.
Full marks to the ships comapany for getting her back - must have been horrendous.

I saw pictures of the NOTTINGHAM after she hit that bit of Oz the other year - made me shudder.

fozzy said:
tattybadger said:
There goes a career or two unless of course the lady driver can claim PMT.
Full marks to the ships comapany for getting her back - must have been horrendous.

I saw pictures of the NOTTINGHAM after she hit that bit of Oz the other year - made me shudder.
True - must have scared the living daylights out of them.

tattybadger said:
Didn't the Navy allow some journos/cadets/prisoners/politicians to drive a sub some time ago? And didn't that all go horribly wrong?
Happened Feb 2001, during surfacing drills the USS Greensville hit a Japanese fishing trawler. The civys didn't "drive" the sub during surfacing, but were in the CON and as such may have been a distraction. 8O

I think we pongoes imagine that RN ships are big rifty tofty things that can take a hell of a lot of punishment - I had a get-to-know-you fortnight on Vanguard and the anti-torpedo protection was about 2' thick. It's only when we see pickies like this that the words sardine tin come to mind.

OldRedCap sez:

I think we pongoes imagine that RN ships are big rifty tofty things that can take a hell of a lot of punishment - I had a get-to-know-you fortnight on Vanguard and the anti-torpedo protection was about 2' thick. It's only when we see pickies like this that the words sardine tin come to mind.
I read THIS and thought of your 'Vanguard visit'...

http://www.tribuneindia.com/1999/99mar14/sunday/speaking.htm

8)

WEATHERMAN1956 said:
OldRedCap sez:

8)
Bluddy hell Weatherman - what inspired you to look for this?

WEATHERMAN1956 said:
OldRedCap sez:

8)
Damned good search techniques WM. Mine was out of Gibralter so we missed the exotic - I did a R&R to Bali out of Korea courtesy of US Air Force Police and crew of Vanguard there makes mind go hazy.