Photos show damage to Sub the USS 'San Francisco'

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by WEATHERMAN1956, Jan 29, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [​IMG]

:eek:

2. I thought most subs had short range, HF(or LF, can't remember) forward looking sonar to avoid this sort of thing

3. So do aeroplanes - but they still manage to find the side of mountains strangely magnetic 8O 8O

4. There goes a career or two unless of course the lady driver can claim PMT.

5. Didn't the Navy allow some journos/cadets/prisoners/politicians to drive a sub some time ago? And didn't that all go horribly wrong?

6. Full marks to the ships comapany for getting her back - must have been horrendous.

I saw pictures of the NOTTINGHAM after she hit that bit of Oz the other year - made me shudder.

7. True - must have scared the living daylights out of them.

8. Happened Feb 2001, during surfacing drills the USS Greensville hit a Japanese fishing trawler. The civys didn't "drive" the sub during surfacing, but were in the CON and as such may have been a distraction. 8O

9. I think we pongoes imagine that RN ships are big rifty tofty things that can take a hell of a lot of punishment - I had a get-to-know-you fortnight on Vanguard and the anti-torpedo protection was about 2' thick. It's only when we see pickies like this that the words sardine tin come to mind.

10. OldRedCap sez:

I read THIS and thought of your 'Vanguard visit'...

http://www.tribuneindia.com/1999/99mar14/sunday/speaking.htm

8)

11. Bluddy hell Weatherman - what inspired you to look for this?

12. Damned good search techniques WM. Mine was out of Gibralter so we missed the exotic - I did a R&R to Bali out of Korea courtesy of US Air Force Police and crew of Vanguard there makes mind go hazy.

13. taddybadger wrote:

Well, I'm always looking for articals by Manohar Malgonkar
    in the Sunday Tribune or his books at the local Library.
    I especially love the stories of Britain in Indja...

a good one:

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2000/20001105/spectrum/time.htm

8)