Photos: Op Banner

I'm trying to get hold of some photos of Op Banner for an arts project and was hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

The idea is to show an incident outside a recognisable Belfast landmark that still exists. I'd plan to take another shot in the same place as the original photo then merge the two together with a sort of ghosting effect. A chance to show the youngsters what actually happened over in NI and how much they owe to the O&B.

I've been to Magnum etc and it's surprising how little there actually is from this pre-digital conflict.

There were some great ones in the Belfast Telegraph library but they sacked the picture guy and the new editor won't allow any of their stuff to be used.

I'm trying to get hold of some photos of Op Banner for an arts project and was hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

The idea is to show an incident outside a recognisable Belfast landmark that still exists. I'd plan to take another shot in the same place as the original photo then merge the two together with a sort of ghosting effect. A chance to show the youngsters what actually happened over in NI and how much they owe to the O&B.

I've been to Magnum etc and it's surprising how little there actually is from this pre-digital conflict.

There were some great ones in the Belfast Telegraph library but they sacked the picture guy and the new editor won't allow any of their stuff to be used.
Jaysus.... Five years ago called, they want their portfolio back.

Obviously you have searched the members galleries and
searched on Google for un-copyrighted images ?

BB - I probably shouldn't ask but ?
It's a somewhat common, some would say hackneyed, theme in recent years. Particularly in reference to military subjects.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
plenty of new reels footage as well, just clip out what you want.

BB - fair comment. It was the ones they did about D-Day that intrigued me 's as much as for my own interest as anything.

Have you seen any for NI ?

jc

I've done a fair bit of tracking down pictures for Wikipedia. If you want a wee bit of help PM me and I'll do my best for you - no promises.

S-IT: I've been all over the Google side of things and the online archives at the main international and local photo agencies. To be honest I've found nothing half as good as the one's in the Belfast Telegraph morgue - but can't get those now.

The best was a shot of a bomb in front of the City Hall with SF in front. Also some of the Europa and around the High street gates showing the aftermath of various bombs.

It's hard to find shots that still have recognisable buildings in them. The place has changed so much.

The contrast between then and now is weird.

Also tried Linen Hall and News Letter. Next stop is to go down to the Irish Times and Indie when I'm in Dublin.

Nope - didn't think about members' galleries. Thanks for the pointer.

jc