Photos of Napoleons Soldiers

Thanks for posting that link jim30 , nice to see that the gaiters are as tight as period drawings show, re-enactors take note.

Second and third ones down look a bit cobbled together but the rest are superb, very handy to see that the mamalukes pantaloons really did look that baggy, cheers.

Last edited:
"their uniforms have been let out to accommodate their girth"

Despite the time elapsed, plus ça change!!

It's always staggered me that this kit was worn in the field - and that it had hardly changed until after the Crimean debacle (and even then not by much) half a century later. It must've been an absolute bastard to maintain. Sleeves down I notice.

Great series of pics, some of the other collections of images on that site are good too

Good stuff .... the cavalry are a little over-represented. Surprisingly for Boneparte's veterans, no gun-bunnies.

Love Lefebre's stare, do you think the photographer had asked for his war face for that nice Mr Wellington?

Great! Some tough looking old lads that no doubt had seen a bit. Would any of these men have been part of "The Old Guard" I remember the term from the film Waterloo but have no idea what regiments or regiment it comprised of.

Top one grenadier guard

Second one down carrying guard heavy cavalry saber but the rest looks wrong

Arab fella mamaluk of the guard

Fella sixth from bottom possible chasseur cheval guard

Fifth from bottom sergeant grenadiers of the guard

Bottom two red lancers , lancers of the guard

Great! Some tough looking old lads that no doubt had seen a bit. Would any of these men have been part of "The Old Guard" I remember the term from the film Waterloo but have no idea what regiments or regiment it comprised of.

The Guard was a military formation of it's own - they had infantry, cavalry, artillery etc as you'd expect from a Napoleonic army.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Guard_(Napoleon_I)

From memory it was the Middle Guard that was repulsed at Waterloo although I may be wrong.

Latest Threads