Photos from WWI: Christina Broom

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by DozyBint, Dec 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Excellent link Dozy, thanks.

2. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Yes, very good find Dozy.
    I find this one interesting.
    Centre of picture, in front of third pile, tall ouen with eyes left.
    This Doughboy looks like he's either black or Indian. (as in Injun.)

I didn't think the Septics mixed troops of 'other' colours until after the Second War.
    Can anyone confirm or confute this ?
  3. President Harry Truman signed an executive order desegregating the Armed Forces in 1948. Prior to that time Blacks and whites did not serve together in the same unit.
    I'm not sure what the deal was for American Indians (we don't like the perjorative term "Injuns") but they did serve in WW I.
  4. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Purely to differentiate, (for the Brits,) from people from Injah.

On the other hand, while speaking to a group of members of what the rabbit people now call "Native Americans," those same "Native Americans" said they preffered the term 'Indians.'

As the Septics say - go figure.
  5. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

If you look at Max Arthur,s Faces of WW1, you will see many of the photo,s by Cristina Bloom.
  6. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Brilliant link. Hope they set up a link to view the whole collection.
  7. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

That pic gave me the giggles and like you my first thought was of 'Jonesy'.

Someone clearly did some research into pre-WWI 'accepted stance for weapons drill' when it came to Dad's Army!
  8. I thought it was a pic taken after defence cuts had done away with their horses.
  9. I suspect that if an octoroon was raised white, talked white, moved white and he was alright no one would ever treat him as anything other than white.
  10. I cannot find a precise reference but I think that Native Americans were fairly well integrated into the US Army and were not segregated into seperate units like Black Americans although there were some specialized signal units using "Code Talkers" and Scout units in the area of the Mexican border.

I know Chinese were integrated into the Army. My dad served in Boston, billeted in a hotel taken over by the Army and his roomate and best friend in the service Jeff C*** was Chinese. This despite the fact that the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882, in effect until 1943 restricted Chinese from immigration and citizenship. It was a product of labor unions pressure on Congress. Even when the law was repealed in '43 Chinese had to have a US citizen sign documents vouching for them when they applied for citizenship. Dad signed for all of Jeff's family and they used to refer to him as their "Godfather". A sad bit of US history that angered my dad until the day he died.
  11. That's Tidworth, last week!
  12. If you notice they're nearly all wearing the SD or 'Crap Hat'. The term was coined because of their colour, laid on the floor they looked like a horse dollop. Some also wear them at a jaunty angle or low on the bridge of the nose, once a soldier!

Reference the swarthy soldier it's equally possible that he was Southern Italian or Spanish or even Galway Irish who tended to have black hair and swarthy complexions.

A good find Dozy, thanks for that.
  13. As an aside, reading Steven Graham's A private of the Guards, the British Army of 1917 included many US volunteers. A sizeable majority of them opted to serve in the Guards and many were killed or wounded in March and October 1918.