Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by vinegartom, May 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I have re-uploaded this message after receiving permission from the forum moderator to post it with slight revisions.

I am a national newspaper photographer seeking help for a mini project. I am hoping to do a story on the treatment of former soldiers wounded in Iraq or Afghanistan on their return to the UK. I am seeking to meet and photograph such a person in their home environment and also doing something active.

I think that the way wounded former soldiers are portrayed in the media at the moment is largely quite depressing, I would like to do something different and get an image of someone getting on with their lives; doing a hobby, playing a sport, taking kids to school etc.

The process of taking the pictures would take about 1 - 1.5 hours. I would travel to the subject. I could afford to pay any reasonable expenses incurred by the subject in arranging the shoot, but no sitting fee or anything like that, sorry. The image may end up being published if it is good enough and we are both happy with it.

If you think you can help with this, I would be very grateful if you could email me with your contact details. My email address is

Thanks a lot.

2. James,
    Have you cleared this post with the "CO's" ?
  3. Have you asked the CO's for permission for this blatant self advertising on this site?

Are you willing to pay for the soldiers travel or will you travel to him/her? Will you pay them for their time and story/offer to give money to charity?

Edited to add - your web site doesn't work, very professional.......
  4. More to the point, will the pictures be 'artistic'?
  5. I will attempt to clear the message with the moderator of Current Affairs, News and Analysis.

The pictures will aim to "tell a story" in an eye-catching but subtle way.

My website is here:

My forwarding service is obviously down. Sorry about that.
  6. [​IMG]
    A Soldier at work. :D
  7. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Quality Butler :D

They're not all bad, I worked on a book project about NI with a photo journalist a few years back who solicited help on here (no photos just background) and he was entirely professional and a nice bloke too. If you are interested make contact and check him out, then decide.

Assuming permission from the COs of course.
  8. James,
    I do topless at no extra cost and bottomless for a finger of fudge.
  9. what do you charge to pose with a finger of fudge?
  10. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

11. Given the subject matter, the fact that you're a professional photographer and not paying sitting fees; I'm guessing you'd be donating a large proportion (if not all) of any profits raised by sale or publication of said images to a forces charity involved in the rehabilitation of wounded?
  12. Very talented photog if the website is an accurate depiction of work.

James, my arrse is itching... would you like to come and scratch it? Expenses paid... sorry no scratching fees... YES you'll have to be a blithering idiot - but hey - all photogs are blithering idiots aren't they?
  13. James,

What's the story behind the Blonde Lady holding the portrait of a Soldier?
  14. I am not going to be taking the picture to make money. If it is published, it will not make me any money. It is a separate personal project.

The caption should drop down when you hover over the image, but she sadly lost her husband in Basra. She didn't want any money.

Anyway, as I say, if anyone doesn't think I'm a "blithering idiot" and is able to help, let me know.