Photography Challenge - a Very British Winter 2014/15

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Following the monthly challenges - and noting lack of response to TATP's thread!

Reading the @Speedy 's thread Winter 2014/15 http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/winter-2014-2015-cold-or-mild.219544/ it occurred to me that across these islands the variation in what constitutes 'a normal winter's day ' can be wide.

This Sunday (21st Dec) is the winter solstice. So what does midwinter look like where you are? Working on a North Sea platform, out the driver's window of a commuter train coming into Edinburgh Waverley station, in a daffodil field on the Scilly Isles, cresting the ridge over the Seven Sisters coming down to Eilean Donan, the Great Hall in Trinity......all variations on a Very British Winter :)

Right now I have blue sky and bright sunshine - by this time next week it could be freezing fog and minus 6C :-D

To give the spread of what a Very British Winter actually looks like, this challenge will be open from today up to 01 March 2015.

To get the ball rolling, here's what Winter 2014 looks like this morning, not far from my location:
upload_2014-12-19_11-45-54.jpeg

upload_2014-12-19_11-46-31.jpeg

upload_2014-12-19_11-47-3.jpeg

upload_2014-12-19_11-47-35.jpeg

Taken whilst walking the dog - and yes, it shows....in your own time ladies and gentlemen - go on !

Don Cabra

Last edited:
dz.jpg

Drizzle
Fairly uniform precipitation composed exclusively of fine drops very close together.

Not being in the UK I can't do any real ones but I do seem to remember a lot of the above.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ah yes...Wales, wonderful country, delightful people, sh1t weather !

Nice shot - send a pic of wherever you are on 21st December so we can gnash our collective Arrse teeth ( one between two ,fair do's) over the bright tropical sunshine and nubile bikini clad roller blading fanny :-D

Last edited:
Taken last month with my smartphone at stupid-o'clock. It doesn't really do it justice.

backfield.jpg

BugsyIII

On ROPS
On ROPs
Taken last week,
df9848da4dd2a5e0e5133089bbad963a.jpg

Frozen pond, also while walking the dog

SINNER251 LIVES!

@Goatman You need to take at least one step to the left for three out of four of your pics. I know, everyone's a critic ;-)
Good thread though, I'll see what I can do on Sunday.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
All tips gratefully recvd - hope you're up early enough on Sunday to catch whatever light there may be going! look forward to a stonking shot :-D

From this morning:
upload_2014-12-20_11-8-37.jpeg

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Not my pic, but the first gritting run of the season didn't end well for this driver:
View attachment 187829

Coo, funny that - I was thinking of asking Highways Agency what licence you needed to drive a grit lorry these days :-D -
In that gent's case ( and if you know any female grit truck drivers please PROVE! No photo, no kudos) just the issue brown shreddies I suspect....

Ah yes...Wales, wonderful country, delightful people, sh1t weather !

Nice shot - send a pic of wherever you are on 21st December so we can gnash our collective Arrse teeth ( one between two ,fair do's) over the bright tropical sunshine and nubile bikini clad roller blading fanny :-D
I live just outside Dribbledoof or Duesseldorf as it is sometimes known. Which is equivalent to the midlands, rain, grey, chilly without getting proper cold. Any bikini clad rollerbladers would be suffering from chilblains in short order.
Lets see what tomorrow brings though sleet is expected.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Say hallo to my lad - he's in Dusseldorf today by coinkydinky!
( Good chokolatierkauf if I recall but not much else to recommend it...I ran round the park in my tee shirt in March and thought ' fack me it's cold!'

See if you can get a shot of one of the daft red squirrels for us ?

Taken last month with my smartphone at stupid-o'clock. It doesn't really do it justice

I know what you mean. Bit of post processing will give it the colours you saw - rather than what Samsung thinks would be pretty !

Last edited:
A walk along the river Spey (not this year) with the dog.

Bracing but quite spectacular.

This time of year sees the end of the Salmon's life cycle. You hope they made it to the spawning grounds before becoming sea gull food.

spey 2.jpg
spey 3.jpg
spey.jpg

BARN

Clanker
Orkney-1.jpg

Orkney Mainland from Hoy, it is quite hard to give a sense of scale to the waves but the cliff is about 70m at its highest.

Orkney-2.jpg

This waterfall is on Hoy. I had a great day out in the wind and hail, left the dogs a home though, the last time it was like this and I took them out they didn't look too pleased.

After a very mild autumn,took this pic about a month ago walking down from Bebington to Mersey.
IMG_0060 - Copy.JPG

Fire4effect

War Hero
Even a shithole like Cannock can have a strange beauty sometimes. The view from the office window at sunrise on a frosty morning.

ImageUploadedByARRSE1419107890.921783.jpg

Posted from the ARRSE side of the moon

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Even a shithole like Cannock can have a strange beauty sometimes. The view from the office window at sunrise on a frosty morning.

View attachment 187999

Posted from the ARRSE side of the moon

Awww purty - camera or mobile?

Beauty is where you find it.....Iraq was crap for scenery, then a kite landed on the back of the boat ,glared at me for a couple of minutes before deciding there was nothing to eat, fight or **** and flapped slowly away - magic moment.

Although I wasn't there, I was quite struck to hear a half-colonel RM ( Charlie S********d) describe parts of Afghan as ' very like Tuscany'

Nice pix folks. Just for a bit of authenticity ( and so I don't post stuff from a year ago :-D ) it would be great if we could stick to shots taken since All Hallows Eve 2014 , thanks.

Don 'The Twitcher' Cabra

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Well my part of the world providing zero 'cold and frosty marnin' ' images right now
' They said there'd be snow this Christmas
They said there'd be peace on Earth
But instead it just kept on raining
A vale of tears for the virgin birth'

Anyone working offshore ?

Well my part of the world providing zero 'cold and frosty marnin' ' images right now
' They said there'd be snow this Christmas
They said there'd be peace on Earth
But instead it just kept on raining
A vale of tears for the virgin birth'

Anyone working offshore ?

Greg Lake, probably the only Christmas song I like.

Latest Threads