Photograph reveals Chinas Jin-class nuclear sub

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ozduke, Oct 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cow

Cow LE

Login required?
  2. I think you need to check your link - I ain't subscribing to Janes!
  3. This bad boy - and to "paraphrase" (due to law suit avoidance...)

"A photograph anonymously posted on the Internet has provided Western analysts with a first close-quarters look at the Chinese People's Liberation Army Navy's (PLAN's) new Type 094 Jin-class nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine (SSBN)."

"Furthermore, the Type 094 will likely carry 16 newly designed missiles, which will provide a marked increase in both number and capability over the 12 missiles carried on the Xia SSBN."

"The ONI currently estimates that China is planning to build a total of five Type 094 Jin-class SSBNs. This is most likely based on presumptions of the force level required to assure the availability of at least one boat at all times to maintain a credible at-sea deterrent posture."

Attached Files:

4. Cow

Cow LE

I wonder how many US subs will be re-deployed to deal with these bad boys?

It can't be that good, it needs painting already.
  5. Sorry to state the obvious but I only count six tubes on the port side, therefore 6 starboard, so therfore not 16 as quoted in the blurb, is this the run out model Xia lol
  6. I'd reckon an extra 4 missiles matter less than what it's silent running capabilities are like. Can they avoid detection long enough to get in close and deliver a crushing first strike? That's what'll put the sh*ts up the Yanks. Nothing like knowing the other kid has a big stick too to calm down the playground.
  7. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Having been aboard a vessel of the Chinese People's Liberation Army Navy a few years ago, if it's build standard is anything like the same, I wouldn't be too worried. Large gaps in the bulkheads next to the watertight hatches were a bit of a give-away of rather poor shipbuilding. I hope for the crew's sake that they've improved since then!
  8. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Maybe they want to kidnap another one of your Prime Ministers :D . After all there are similarities between Messrs Holt & Howard!
  9. 8) Yes they are enlarging their navy as most of their oil passes Taiwan and they know th U.S. can stuff up the passage of the oil on its way to China. Also China is building a oil pipe line north to ensure a supply of oil. Oil is now the new weapon as even India needs more oil. The trouble in Sudan is for oil and China is buying it, so they veto any security sanctions in the U.N. against Sudan. they have grabbed the oil from Chad just over the Sudanese border,by letting the Chad leaders know that the Sudanese rebels will be making trouble in Chad but if they sell their oil to China, China will make sure that Sudan will keep these rebels in the Sudan, blackmail? You cannot trust the Chinese or the Russians they dont trust themselves, new bigger navy yes every one wants oil 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)