Photograph permission

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by CC_TA, Jul 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening Arrsers, hope this is in the right place.

I've just filled out a permission slip to allow any photos of me to be published by my unit. I'm not that bothered about my fugly grid being splattered about the place, however, a couple of friends have been crated for having their mugs in various publications but they did not know;

a) they were being photographed
    b) pictures of them were published with their names

(This was on an Op tour and one of the guys is from Ulster.)

The damage is done now, but can they stop this in future?

Cheers peeps.

2. Were they official pictures? If so, the situation regarding PERSEC needs looking at.

If unofficial, I doubt very much can be done.

3. Speak to Max Clifford - he may not prevent it but he should be able to get you a decent commission; maybe followed by an appearance on BB and a book deal?

Look what he did for that hideous dozy slapper errrrrrrr I mean Saint Jade.

4. As far as my Media Ops knowledge goes, all photos taken by MoD personnel of MoD personnel (in uniform) or equipment are technically automatically Crown Copyright, so can in theory be used anywhere by the MoD (OPSEC permitting).

I suspect the permission thing is for putting your name to the picture. Can anyone else confirm/deny this?

5. Having followed an ongoing articles in a Photo Magazine (AP) there is some confusion about what can and cannot be photographed and used.
    Tarpaulin is right when he says that the MoD own the copyright to any images taken by MoD personnel of MoD personnel and equipment.

However I do remember when Media Ops wanted to use my photo in a local intrest story they asked me to sign a release form. I did not ( I hate having my photo taken! ) and so they were unable to use it.

In the UK you are entitled to take a photograph whilst in a public area. If you capture an individual in your photograph in a public area then there is nothing they can do about it. However under recent changes to the law you are now not allowed to take a photograph of any member of the Police, Security Services, Armed Forces etc under the Anti Terrorism Law. This is being challenged by the Media in respect of the Police who are at many public events, demo's etc. Rules are different around the world.

The fact that their names were published with the photographs would indicate that your unit may have just gone ahead and felt they had the right to publish their story.

As a unit photographer I have taken hundreds of images but I hand them all over to our media guys and let them run with any copyright or PERSEC problems (sloping shoulder).

Anybody from Media Ops out there want to clarify this?

Q.

6. Quote "However under recent changes to the law you are now not allowed to take a photograph of any member of the Police, Security Services, Armed Forces etc under the Anti Terrorism Law. This is being challenged by the Media in respect of the Police who are at many public events, demo's etc. Rules are different around the world."

Lots of discussion on the more (ahem) "activist" websites about this. The consensus at the moment is that you can take photos of police, armed forces etc in a public place provided you aren't doing it for terrorist purposes.
    Which, of course, is totally unenforceable.

7. Awful lot of photos taken at Sunderland Air Show....

Light gun display team from 4RA and the Booties unarmed combat display team (with non naked roll matt fighting!)

Guess there are a lot of terrorists in Sunderland!

8. Don't know about terrorists, but I never like parking my car in Sunderland in case it's nicked.

9. My granite jawed, handsome face was in a daily rag whilst on Telic, I didnt complain, I looked the absolute nuts, sweeping through the Al-Faw alone with gimpy.
    I did however shout and scream like a girl to the marketing team at work when I was caught 'in shot' at a cheque giving ceremony to a youth group and I looked like a deranged meth head side on with all my hair stuck up at the back.

10. Apparently they ended up in the Craftsman Magazine.

11. Taken from the Met Police web site

http://www.met.police.uk/about/photography.htm

Dave