Photograph military stuff

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by bigpod, Aug 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been in BFG for 2.5 years, and photography is my main hobby, whilst armour one of my main interests. Apart from the AS90's at work, I am still unsure of where I might be able to go to get photos of tanks "on the move", etc.
    Sennelager is nearby, but is there anywhere accessible?
    Also, Gutersloh seems to be under attack by the Luftwaffe today - where is nearest place to get decent aircraft pics.

2. I always found BATUS was good

3. I'm a fat civvy, and can't afford the fare. But thanks

4. Sorry it was a joke, Fallingbostel, and the range roads there about , Sennelager the same and all around Soltau are all good for NATO armour
    and if you can get there Grafenwohr in Baveria for the Septics stuff

5. Thanks for that.

I was under the impression that the range roads were closed - are they public?

6. Well they used to be,most range roads go around the range not through it

7. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Be careful the range road at Fally has police on it both RMP and range police employed by the Germans part of the range road is on public roads the rest is supposed to be closed to civi traffic.

And trooper Soltau has been closed for years and even decontaminated :wink:

8. Bloody Soltau....
    Only been on it a couple of times and that was for "Soltau Womble"
    Anyone else remember them? :x

9. Didn't know, but took loads of in the dayphotographs there

10. Not all of the range road at Sennelager is military a part of it is a civi road as well.

11. Yep - following the original question I drove over it yesterday. Nothing mil except hulks, but lots of wildlife.

12. "Soltau Sweep" - remember it well. In 1988 'Shiny 10' had to provide a Transport Sqn (-) of 14 tonne for the first time as gash wagons to clean up along with 11(?) Bde. Not popular until we picked up an unused Chieftain engine (still in its crate), a BSA B40 that had been in in a bush for years and 7 (yes seven) SMGs. Plus about 3 million OMD 75 cans.

You RAC types, what are you like!

13. Believe i was on one of the last wombles/sweeps circa 1994, i distinctly remember picking up all sorts of gash, green string, compo tins etc and a number of old no 2 shirts :?
    Who would take these on ex?

14. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Never packed a large pack then?

15. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Soltau? Closed?

Next you'll be telling me Marsden Rock has fallen into the sea!