Photograph military stuff

I've been in BFG for 2.5 years, and photography is my main hobby, whilst armour one of my main interests. Apart from the AS90's at work, I am still unsure of where I might be able to go to get photos of tanks "on the move", etc.
Sennelager is nearby, but is there anywhere accessible?
Also, Gutersloh seems to be under attack by the Luftwaffe today - where is nearest place to get decent aircraft pics.

I always found BATUS was good

bigpod said:
I'm a fat civvy, and can't afford the fare. But thanks
Sorry it was a joke, Fallingbostel, and the range roads there about , Sennelager the same and all around Soltau are all good for NATO armour
and if you can get there Grafenwohr in Baveria for the Septics stuff

bigpod said:
Thanks for that.

I was under the impression that the range roads were closed - are they public?
Well they used to be,most range roads go around the range not through it

Be careful the range road at Fally has police on it both RMP and range police employed by the Germans part of the range road is on public roads the rest is supposed to be closed to civi traffic.

And trooper Soltau has been closed for years and even decontaminated :wink:

brettarider said:
Be careful the range road at Fally has police on it both RMP and range police employed by the Germans part of the range road is on public roads the rest is supposed to be closed to civi traffic.

Bloody Soltau....
Only been on it a couple of times and that was for "Soltau Womble"
Anyone else remember them? :x

brettarider said:

Didn't know, but took loads of in the dayphotographs there

bohs_man said:
brettarider said:

Bloody Soltau....
"Soltau Sweep" - remember it well. In 1988 'Shiny 10' had to provide a Transport Sqn (-) of 14 tonne for the first time as gash wagons to clean up along with 11(?) Bde. Not popular until we picked up an unused Chieftain engine (still in its crate), a BSA B40 that had been in in a bush for years and 7 (yes seven) SMGs. Plus about 3 million OMD 75 cans.

You RAC types, what are you like!

Bubbles_Barker said:
bohs_man said:
brettarider said:

Bloody Soltau....
"Soltau Sweep" - remember it well. In 1988 'Shiny 10' had to provide a Transport Sqn (-) of 14 tonne for the first time as gash wagons to clean up along with 11(?) Bde. Not popular until we picked up an unused Chieftain engine (still in its crate), a BSA B40 that had been in in a bush for years and 7 (yes seven) SMGs. Plus about 3 million OMD 75 cans.

You RAC types, what are you like!
Believe i was on one of the last wombles/sweeps circa 1994, i distinctly remember picking up all sorts of gash, green string, compo tins etc and a number of old no 2 shirts :?
Who would take these on ex?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
brettarider said:

Soltau? Closed?

Next you'll be telling me Marsden Rock has fallen into the sea!

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
bohs_man said:
Believe i was on one of the last wombles/sweeps circa 1994, i distinctly remember picking up all sorts of gash, green string, compo tins etc and a number of old no 2 shirts :?
Who would take these on ex?
15/19H never wore KF shirts in the 1970s. Far too infantry. We wore No 2 shirts and navy blue scarves. I am sure this was normal for all cavalry at the time.

This was before No 2 dress shirts had pockets and epaulettes so for summer wear we bought No 2 dress look-alikees with pockets and epaulettes from the NAAFI.

Then at the end of the 70s some bright spark proscribed the regimental navy towelling scarf and made us buy disgusting navy polo necks from the PRI in their place. These really were disgusting: the necks just stretched and stretched until you could see your navel. But I guess it made wearing a KF shirt for three weeks tolerable. Then army issued us green sweat shirt things which allowed those who didn't have anything regimental to wear a KF without itching.

They also brought out No 2 Dress shirts with pockets and epaulettes. Since the QM never seemed to mind exchanging NAAFI "No 2 Dress" shirts for the real thing, the nasty old pocketless shirts were ideal for exercise and range wear.

So the answer to your question, "Who would take these on ex?" is "The people who would go to Soltau to convert live rounds into empty cases."