photo - what is it?

Hi, I was wandering down a footpath in darkest Staffordshire the other day, and came across this rather odd piece of agricultural equipment acting as "Gate Guardian" for some run down farm buildings. I know some farmers like their privacy, but just who was he preparing for coming down the farm track?

Seriously, Oerlikon? Vintage? Origin? Sorry the photo's not the sharpest, but my phone was all I had, and I'm sure some of the sleuths of Int cell will be able to work it out![marq=left]

Attachments

Looks like an Oerlikon GDF-001 in 35mm/40mm

I thought Bofors, however my knowledge of ww2 aa guns is limited to what I googled for 2 minutes ago

and if i squint my good eye I think that plate says "40mm" on it

I don't believe it is a Bofors. Look at the front of the weapon, the original post shows it has some kind of engine mounted. The other post show a hydrolic/piston tubes mounted.

Did it actually say Oerlikon on the plate, I cant read it. I really think its an old Bofers L60/40

blobmeister said:
I don't believe it is a Bofors. Look at the front of the weapon, the original post shows it has some kind of engine mounted. The other post show a hydrolic/piston tubes mounted.
maybe a later model ?

Looks pretty much bang on to this example:

As _Chimurenga_ said, a Bofors QF 40mm.

You're wrong, Tropper...even though you'll probably claim you used one whilst working as an AA gunner in 1941.....

polar69 said:
blobmeister said:
maybe a later model ?
The Bofors L70 had power ellivation and traverse

Yep, plate def read 40mm, but no manufacturers marking, hence the post

CivvyPete said:
Yep, plate def read 40mm, but no manufacturers marking, hence the post
Right, the chassis is British and the gun is a Bofors 40mm. but there are bits on it that are odd, it looks like a L60/40 but has power elevation and i'm not sore when the fitted that, the differenc between the L60 and the L70 is the length of the barrel, the L60 was produced from 1929 until the 50s when it was replaced by the L70 the British Army got rid of theres back in the 70s

As has been said, it's a Bofors 40/60 with an awful lot of bits missing.

Plate def starts "QF" 40mm - rest unreadable, possible "type".....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
PartTimePongo ARRSE: Site Issues 37
F Current Affairs, News and Analysis 2
Bad CO Current Affairs, News and Analysis 10