Photo Editing Software?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by fltpilot, May 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Got a ton of digital photos i want to edit.
    Any good free software or buy some bells & whistles big bucks one?
    Dont really mind paying as long as it's good!
  2. Just google Photoshop, with torrent on the end and see what pops up. Just saying!!!
  3. Photoshop elements does about 90% of what the full program does, for about a quarter of the price.
  4. google picasa its free or try Gimp
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

or if you want to play then gimp is free. a lot of digital cameras used to supply free software for basic editing and there are free older versions of popular stuff out there.
  6. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Depends what you want to do with the editing. Photobucket's free and has basic edit / touch up stuff.
  7. Adobe - CS2 Downloads

It's free because Adobe no longer supports it. Makes no difference whatsoever to its functionality.
  8. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

9. Gimp is pretty good
  10. A lot depends on what the photos you've got to edit are. If your taking 1 - 2Mb snaps off a compact digital there's only a limited amount of editing you can do and, as someone's already pointed out on here, Picasa's a really good bit of freeware. It also does a reasonable job of managing your files into albums etc

If you're shooting RAW from a DSLR you really need Photoshop. Elements is fine for everything short of Pro work and you should be able to find a copy for around £40 - £50.

Personally, I'd be wary of cracked copies of Photoshop. Someone gave me a copy of CS6 and I had nothing but dramas that were only solved after rebuilding my lappy.
  11. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Another vote for picasa and gimp. Both are brilliant pieces of software.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  12. GIMP is a free editing software and is pretty good as well GIMP Software Link gets good write ups and I have used it in the past as well.
  13. After using Photoshop for years and spending hours learning every useful function but actually only ever using about 10% of its capability I installed Lightroom at the recommendation of a friend last year, I've opened photoshop once since!

Lightroom is brilliant for editing RAW files in the sense of tweaking already good photographs, photoshop is brilliant for manipulating images, merging images and doing more arty/ complex things like replacing skies in not so good photographs! I've quickly become a huge lightroom fan because it has significantly reduced the time I spend editing but can always see a need to return to photoshop on the odd occasion. I've used Gimp and have Aperture installed on my Mac, both are good but let down by the fact that they aren't really mainstream and consequently you don't get as many good tutorials in photomags which is really how I learnt to use photoshop. I don't think there are anywhere near as many good tutorials on you tube either so finding out how to use certain functions comes by way of trial end error which can be frustrating.