Photo: Can anyone tell me anything about this Landing Craft?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Jorolat, May 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hiya,

I took this photo of a landing craft leaving Dover Harbour on Saturday, May 29th, 2010:
    [align=center]
    [​IMG][/align]

[align=center](Click to see a larger version)[/align]

From press reports, the landing craft appears to be on its way to Dunkirk to pick up a group of cyclists who participated in a bike ride to raise money for the forces' charity Help for Heroes.

What I would like to know, however, is more about the landing craft itself.

Can anyone tell me what type it is, or where I can find such info?

It has "P1" or "PI" on the hull and "9730" on the bridge - is 9730 the identification number?

Also, what does red and yellow/orange flag signify?

Any "technical" info at all would be very much appreciated! :)

There's more background info on the original Royal Navy Landing Craft, Western Docks, Dover Harbour webpage.

John Latter / Jorolat

PS I have posted this on three Royal Navy forums, but the only reply received to date suggested ARRSE.

2. That's excellent, Misterpurple - thanks!

The wikipedia link you gave says:

I'm a bit confused (as well as ignorant) - should I describe it as a Royal Navy landing craft (as the press have done), or as a Royal Marine one?

John

3. No problem. These are definitely RM landing craft: the crew is 100% bootneck and they operate out of RM Poole (don't know which unit, maybe 1ASRM). The nearest the navy get to these things is operating the ships they dock with.

4. Thanks for that lead, Mike. As a result, I've looked at the International Code of Signals and a couple of other websites, but haven't been able to find an alternative meaning for the flag, yet.

John

5. Perhaps that is because it just means 'No. 1'

6. Thanks for your help, Misterpurple. I've had a quick look at the link, but I have to go offline very soon and probably won't be able to correct/update the photo's caption until tomorrow.

The only things left now are to find out whether its "P1" or "PI" (on the hull) and if the "9730" on the bridge is indeed the identification number.

John

7. It does in the US Navy according to this webpage, but apparently they use pennants for numerals in the International Code of Signals - I dunno whether that also applies to the Royal Navy cos I've only had time for a brief look at some websites and now have to go offline.

John

8. Except when it's mistaken for a Spanish flag.

Royal Navy used 'Spanish flag' for target practice off Gibraltar
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Identical, aren't they? :roll:

9. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

NATO warships (and warships of some other Allied navies) use the Allied Naval Signal Book (ANSB) which assigns meanings different from those of the International Code of Signals, basically because warships have a different set of things to say to each other. That by the way is where BZ (Bravo Zulu) comes from, meaning 'Manouevre well carried out'.

If a warship wants to use the International Code she hoists the Code pendant (red and white vertical stripes) above the International Code flag or group she wants to use.

10. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Incidentally for the Spanish Govt to object to the use of a flag which was agreed by NATO, an organisation of which Spain is a member, over sixty years ago, was a bit wet. For us to apologise to the Dagoes was even wetter; the protestor should have been referred to the appropriate NATO publication, and told to take a running poke at a rolling doughnut.

11. Thanks for all your help and the interesting info, everybody :)

I've added an update to the photo caption. If I find out whether its "P1" or "PI" (on the hull) and if the "9730" on the bridge is indeed the identification number, then I'll post the info here (just to tidy things up).

John