• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Photo: Can anyone tell me anything about this Landing Craft?

Hiya,

I took this photo of a landing craft leaving Dover Harbour on Saturday, May 29th, 2010:
[align=center]
[/align]

[align=center](Click to see a larger version)[/align]

From press reports, the landing craft appears to be on its way to Dunkirk to pick up a group of cyclists who participated in a bike ride to raise money for the forces' charity Help for Heroes.

What I would like to know, however, is more about the landing craft itself.

Can anyone tell me what type it is, or where I can find such info?

It has "P1" or "PI" on the hull and "9730" on the bridge - is 9730 the identification number?

Also, what does red and yellow/orange flag signify?

Any "technical" info at all would be very much appreciated! :)

There's more background info on the original Royal Navy Landing Craft, Western Docks, Dover Harbour webpage.

John Latter / Jorolat

PS I have posted this on three Royal Navy forums, but the only reply received to date suggested ARRSE.

misterpurple said:
That's excellent, Misterpurple - thanks!

The wikipedia link you gave says:

The LCU Mk10 class vessels are operated by the Royal Marines. They are intended for use onboard the new assault ships HMS Albion and HMS Bulwark and can use the Bay class landing ships.
I'm a bit confused (as well as ignorant) - should I describe it as a Royal Navy landing craft (as the press have done), or as a Royal Marine one?

John

No problem. These are definitely RM landing craft: the crew is 100% bootneck and they operate out of RM Poole (don't know which unit, maybe 1ASRM). The nearest the navy get to these things is operating the ships they dock with.

misterpurple said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_Assault_Group_Royal_Marines

There you go, don't know where I got 1ASRM from, it doesn't even exist. :D
Thanks for your help, Misterpurple. I've had a quick look at the link, but I have to go offline very soon and probably won't be able to correct/update the photo's caption until tomorrow.

The only things left now are to find out whether its "P1" or "PI" (on the hull) and if the "9730" on the bridge is indeed the identification number.

John

cloudbuster said:
Jorolat said:
haven't been able to find an alternative meaning for the flag, yet.
Perhaps that is because it just means 'No. 1'
It does in the US Navy according to this webpage, but apparently they use pennants for numerals in the International Code of Signals - I dunno whether that also applies to the Royal Navy cos I've only had time for a brief look at some websites and now have to go offline.

John

cloudbuster said:
Jorolat said:
haven't been able to find an alternative meaning for the flag, yet.
Perhaps that is because it just means 'No. 1'
Except when it's mistaken for a Spanish flag.

Royal Navy used 'Spanish flag' for target practice off Gibraltar
Daily Telegraph 20 Nov 2009 said:
"HMS Scimitar was using Flag No1 during gunnery practice, traditionally chosen due to its high visibility," said a spokesman. "However we recognise its similarity to the Spanish national flag and will use an alternative marker during gunnery practice in this area in the future."

Identical, aren't they? :roll:

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
NATO warships (and warships of some other Allied navies) use the Allied Naval Signal Book (ANSB) which assigns meanings different from those of the International Code of Signals, basically because warships have a different set of things to say to each other. That by the way is where BZ (Bravo Zulu) comes from, meaning 'Manouevre well carried out'.

If a warship wants to use the International Code she hoists the Code pendant (red and white vertical stripes) above the International Code flag or group she wants to use.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Incidentally for the Spanish Govt to object to the use of a flag which was agreed by NATO, an organisation of which Spain is a member, over sixty years ago, was a bit wet. For us to apologise to the Dagoes was even wetter; the protestor should have been referred to the appropriate NATO publication, and told to take a running poke at a rolling doughnut.

Thanks for all your help and the interesting info, everybody :)

I've added an update to the photo caption. If I find out whether its "P1" or "PI" (on the hull) and if the "9730" on the bridge is indeed the identification number, then I'll post the info here (just to tidy things up).

John

misterpurple said:
No problem. These are definitely RM landing craft: the crew is 100% bootneck and they operate out of RM Poole (don't know which unit, maybe 1ASRM). The nearest the navy get to these things is operating the ships they dock with.
Apart from the killick stoker obviously.

The P1 will be it's identification number and callsign I'd of thought. They were on the LCU's on HMS Fearless, Foxtrot one, Foxtrot two etc. As a bit of naval history for you LCU F4 had a different callsign out of respect to the one it replaced and casualties suffered during the Falklands war. Foxtrot Juliet I think was it's callsign. (standing by to be corrected on that)

wet_blobby said:
The P1 will be it's identification number and callsign I'd of thought. They were on the LCU's on HMS Fearless, Foxtrot one, Foxtrot two etc. As a bit of naval history for you had a different callsign out of respect to the one it replaced and casualties suffered during the Falklands war. Foxtrot Juliet I think was it's callsign. (standing by to be corrected on that)
Thanks for the explanation and info about LCU F4, wet_blobby. Would that mean the "P" stood for "Poole", then?

John

Latest Threads