Phone-in prog TONIGHT - Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 2200 hrs

There will be an Army-related discussion and phone in on BBC Radio Five Live's Stephen Nolan show starting at 10.00 pm tonight, Sunday 17 December 2006.

Main guests will be:

James Arbuthnot MP (Chairman of the influential all-party House of Commons Defence Committee);

The author and special forces veteran Andy McNab; and

Someone from the new British Armed Forces Federation (BAFF).

Subject of discussion is roughly along the lines of "is the Army undervalued? And is it becoming a shambles?" Answer - Yes and No? ;)

To take part yourself, call free on 0500 909 693 or text 85058 [network rates apply]. Lines are probably already open.

Radio Five Live goes out on 909 and 693 AM, and can also be listened to on the internet.

As stated the programme starts at 2200, and the package is likely to run for 45 mins to one hour depending on the amount of interest and calls received.

Comments? Suggested points/questions?

D.Y.

It seems that the church are no longer interested in our service personnel either. I was watching the candle lit carol service from Lichfield Cathedral on BBC 1 tonight. At the end they give a general blessing for various people and causes. In years past it was the tradition to mention members of the armed forces who are serving their country and may be danger. Religious or not it always made me feel that I was being thought of. Is it now too politically correct to bless those who are in combat conditions away from home doing a difficult job on behalf of the nation? The country seems to have little awareness or care for what its service personnel are doing and this seems to be at the spiritial top!

Praetorian said:
Is that someone you by any chance hackle?
Yes unless I get another volunteer! ;)

I'm not by any means the only BAFF spokesperson but I may as well do this one, having already done a radio interview about the Defence Committee report published on Monday.

Thanks for that one hackle, the Darthspuds will tune in.
Hopefully there will be no mention of Ipswich..... :wink:

Hackle this great news. I hope they explore all areas, from training to welfare and housing on discharge.

Their lines aren't open yet, but I shall try again later on.

Regards
Hitback

P.S you must be knackered.

Some quotes from your co speaker Hackle looks like you could be in danger of having a ferocious agreement :D

James Arbuthnot
The armed forces are clearly under great pressure. The Secretary of State for Defence has said that they are stretched but not overstretched. …it will never accept that our armed forces are overstretched because any normal definition of the word would mean that the armed forces cannot do what they are being asked to do. Because of the "can do" attitude of our armed forces, they will always do their utmost to do what they are asked… Some 15 per cent. of the Army had exceeded harmony guidelines at the end of the last financial year. .. harmony guidelines are meaningless, because they come into play only when people have been out of their own beds for 10 days.
It is essential that the Government revisit the defence planning assumptions…. Everything is suffering, especially training,
The House expects and requires that our troops on operations should be equipped to the standard that they deserve and the public expect. The Prime Minister's undertaking that troops will get the equipment that they need is very welcome… Will it be at the expense of the MOD's other programmes? We are yet to see any concrete results or any clear sign that the MOD is seizing the opportunity that the Prime Minister offers. Perish the thought that it was just spin. We have to ensure that it was not …
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2006-11-22b.548.1&s=iraq+speaker:10013#g580.0

I have edited out some of the flowery speak but tried not to take it out of context cos my mum says I will turn into a journalist if I do that.

hitback said:
Hackle this great news. I hope they explore all areas, from training to welfare and housing on discharge.

Their lines aren't open yet, but I shall try again later on.

Regards
Hitback

P.S you must be knackered.
LOL

Indeed it has been busy.

Two mornings after the launch, I was back at the same Millbank building for an 0705 interview for BBC Radio Manchester.

Unfortunately when I arrived in my hotel reception at 0620, looking forward to a pleasant early morning stroll beside the Thames, I found all doors locked and no member of staff to be found in reception or anywhere else in the building, or on any of the staff numbers on the internal telephone.

Nothing gets in the way of BAFF, knackered or not. There was one of those 'alarmed' exits which, after 10 minutes of trying all legitimate means of exit, I finally punched out off and ran into the street with alarms going off behind me. :oops:

But I did get to the studio in time.

I am doing tonight's one from our local BBC studio. We should get a fair bit of time for it but, with the 'other' heavyweights on the programme, do not expect to hear from me so much or for me to raise all the issues we would like to.

D.Y.

Priam said:
Some quotes from your co speaker Hackle looks like you could be in danger of having a ferocious agreement :D

James Arbuthnot
The armed forces are clearly under great pressure...…
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2006-11-22b.548.1&s=iraq+speaker:10013#g580.0

I have edited out some of the flowery speak but tried not to take it out of context cos my mum says I will turn into a journalist if I do that.
Thanks Priam, v useful. I've already been on a previous discussion programme with Mr Arbuthnot which resulted in both ferocious agreement and hard-fought consensus. ;)

Not of course that BAFF is party-political. Mr Arbuthnot was (in effect) speaking in his capacity as Chairman of the all-party HCDC.

I think a subject that should be mentioned, (at least sometime) but may be slightly off topic, is the blatant untruth's that come out of those MP's responsible for the forces. See the questioning of TCH on the body armour issue (with particular emphasis on the CoC's claims that the guys had all the gear they needed and asked for, when they blatantly didn't!)

That could also be linked to Browne's statement that the changes to seperation pay would NOT effect any serviceman or woman, despite his prior knowledge (from the briefing paper he recieved from the MOD)

Another example was Lord Drayson's claim that the forces had all the thermal imaging gear that they so despereately asked for, but that was and still is not true. Instead, he mentioned NV goggles, so either he lied to cover the truth, or he is incompent (not exactly encouraging for the guy in charge of procurement! :roll: )

To bring it into particular focus, mention should be made of TCB (el presidente!) saying to all and sundry that the guys out in the stan could have 'anything they need', after numerous leaks showing the lack of equipment. Then the cover-up by the MOD, claiming that the commanders on the ground had not made any requests and that this was the reason why no extra material had been dispatched.

Either someone is telling lies, or communication is breaking down between those on the ground and those in power. Who stands to lose more by telling the truth, squaddies or MP's in well paid jobs? :roll:

STICK IT TOO THEM HACKLE!!! :D

PS:

Another one that really should be made crystal clear, is the swingeing cuts to the armed forces budget by Gordon Brown, whilst his oppo next door is so willing to deploy troops and equipment here there and everywhere.

The poin that cutting costs and increasing operational tempo leads to corners being cut (which leads to fatalities in the forces), needs to be made VERY strongly!

Hackle,

Please mention the veterans and war widows.

I know that current commitments are being let down by the power base but please don't forget those that have served and are still fighting for a war / widows pension.

Mac

Social Housing Discrimination.....duty of care ( if Paras cant jump etc!!). The breakdown of the Covenant. The abuse of trust by the Government as recognised in the complete failure of HMG to ensure adequate equipment, manning levels, pay comparisons, support and adherence to previously stated 'Harmony Guidelines' and then to lie about it.

So many others to choose from as wel;, Hackle you could throw a dart and hit a bullseye with your eyes closed when it come to this 'Circus' and Defence issues.

LOL they have pulled the programme, or rather - changed the subject to Harriet Harman's statement about legislation to protect prostitutes.

BBC just caught me going out the door. James Arbuthnot MP and Andy McNab not best pleased either I suspect. For once I have insisted on a (small appearance) fee, which I dont get so often from Five Live!

Regrets to all for the disappointment! There will be other opportunities - we have taken part in plenty broadcasts before.

cheers all, and thanks for all posts which were carefully noted, and remain so.

Douglas