Phone Cloning?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones' started by blonde_guy, Oct 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quick question, is it possible for a phone to be cloned and someone else to be ringing people from my number?

It's very weird. Every Sunday without fail I get a phone call from a jamaican sounding woman asking why I am ringing her et cetera. She knows my name, and obviously knows my number. Hers is blocked.

She always claims that I have rung her the night/day/week before. The first time she rang was when I had been out on the smash so I assumed that I met her. But it seems not. My mobile phone records show absolutely no record of me making calls to her. Ever. My main concern is she seems to know a lot about me.

It's becoming a bit of a nuisance now.....any ideas? Could someone have cloned my number?

2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

spoke to your mobile provider? they would be my first port of call. havent dealt with mobile tech for a whie so I couldnt begin to guess at whats going on, but they should be able to shed some light on it.

3. The simplest explanation is usually the right one, you are being stalked by a big fat Jamaican mama with huge tits.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Will do that; it's just a bit of a worry. If they have my number & name, what other potential information do they have!

5. Had this years ago, the advice then : Tell the provider as said above. Have a look at your phone records, double-check each of your outgoing calls and data transfers to be sure that you are not making calls or transferring data that you are not aware of.

If you suspect cloning, maybe change all your passwords and PINS, mail box PINS. What about calling your mobile from another phone and see if someone picks it up.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yes you can , my father had his phone cloned, that was O2 i think and had loads of calls on his phone bill, that were made when he was home in the evenings and the phone was off as he only used it for work hours, something to do with scanners and other shit the O2 people said.

7. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

is it still worth anyones while to clone phones these days? was quite surpised a while back when a friend lost her mobile that she could get a basic PAYG handset on the high street for a tenner. with a tenners worth of airtime too.

8. I take my IMEI number and that supposedly helps to kill the phone if it's nicked. Though why shops and operators can't just kill the number escapes me. One of the most valuable assets is a top end mobile, chipped, nicked and dicked. Despite what operators are capable of, with radio fingerprinting, calls logging, and access to your data and calls ;) In plain speak, considering what they can do and can see, operators and shops could do more to protect the consumer, not just flog handsets and contracts. Maybe it's a racket for serious hobbyists and crooks, especially those who don't want to pay for their calls, and want to make money flogging chipped phones. Perhaps also among those who have to make long distance calls home ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nod to Maguire, people will start to talk mate ;-) It gets worse....developments in comms, Skype, social networking, remote access ( the bane of the celebrity's life) mean there are zillions of ways to hack a mobile or a number.

It gets more and more difficult to defeat the hackers including the housing estate chav , Googling ways to hack phones. Smartphone weren't invented with privacy in mind.

And, if mobile operators bothered to follow the Banking industry and tell us about any traffic/transactions and unusual occurrences, that would be good start. Mobile phones sometimes cost more than the average family has in the Bank but the onus seems to be on the consumer to spot frauds.

Maybe the industry should switch off Remote Access and we should deactivate our Voicemail facility, after we've changed the default PIN of course. None of us including me, forget to do that, do we.

There's loads more, can't be arrsed. :)