Phone Calls

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by sagemx5, Nov 1, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Had a phone call, well if you can call it a phone call, left on our BT 1571 answer phone this morning. Aanybody know if there is a way to find out who phoned. Have spoken to BT but they do not log the calls.

It was one of these heavy breathing calls, bit worrying especially when the wife is at home on her own when I'm away. So if anyone knows of a way to find out who called let me know. PM me if you don't want to post it on here.

2. Get in touch with BT immediately & explain the problem, so that they can set up a call trace on your phone.

Failing that, ask MDN to cease & desist :p

3. If that had been the last call, you could have dialled 1471 to get the number. Then dial 3 to return the call and breathe back at them. Of course, they can block their number from showing by prefixing your number with (I think) 147.

If you want to know exactly who it was without dialling them, you need to subscribe to a reverse directory service.

4. 141 to withhold your number. This does not, however, stop your number being recorded over the network. It simply prevents it from being delivered from your local exchange to your house.

BT have a new system due out any time called BT Privacy. With compatible equipment (ie telephone or caller ID display unit) you can see the number (or the phrase "Number Withheld") before you pick up the phone.

Might be worth the £2.50 extra a month they charge, if ony for piece of mind.

As was mentioned above, speak to BT and inform them of the nuisance caller. They can then start logging and tracing the offending number. As is said previously, dialling 141 only prevents the network sending your number to the remote user. It does NOT stop it going through the exchange, and so it can be logged :D

If you need any further advice on this, either send me a PM or look here at BT's Nuisance Caller pages

Ghost

5. Went through a long phase of similar type calls, went on for months.

Eventually turned out to be a computerised call centre in Delhi (or some where in India), their machine automatically dialled the number and if it was answered it allocated a call handler. If no telesales walla was available it just made lots of strange noises or was silent.

Mighty bloody irritating when it started at 6.30 in the morning and went on til midnight at times