Phillip 'Rocky' Rokotuni

It's with great regret that I'm informing you about the death of Phil 'Rocky' Rokotuni

Details are scant, but it appear Rocky passed away just after Christmas.
Those who met, worked or played alongside Rocky will never forget the gentle Giant. An Ex-RAOC/RLC legend and a man who left his mark on everyone he befriended, and on the rugby field, those he never.

A fantastic bloke, a great friend, and arguably one of the most generous, kind and thoughtful souls you would ever wish to meet. A superb soldier, an excellent PTI and a proud Fijian.

The world is a poorer place without him.

10931071_10153559021089115_8598381063019647821_n.jpg

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Fats

was he with 17 Sport & leisurewear during Telic 1?

RIP

I remember him. Mad bastard bet the CO he could run a BFT backwards and won a bottle of scotch.

Started hearing these dark whispers on Facebook a few days ago, but the jungle drums have been wrong before, so I was hoping it wasn't true.

Roki passed away on Wednesday having been I'll for some time. As already said, he was a superstar of a lad, who had nothing but absolute respect from all those who knew and served with him. Sounds trite but Quirotonikorowa was absolutely one of the best lads I ever served alongside and certainly someone we at 46 Bty classed as a Talaveran...UBIQUE Tunafish you mutant, you will be missed!!!

Trashing around Oxford on one night out wearing a Sarong and a jacket & Tie FFS. Looked the respectable Fijian gent he was. Cool as a cucumber with girls dripping off him. Ended up asleep, standing up at the bar.
Happy memories!

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
What an absolute tragedy. My condolences to all concerned. Is there any indication of the cause of death? He was young and obviously very fit. What an awful shame.

MsG

Trashing around Oxford on one night out wearing a Sarong and a jacket & Tie FFS. Looked the respectable Fijian gent he was. Cool as a cucumber with girls dripping off him. Ended up asleep, standing up at the bar.
Happy memories!

He is the bloke whose father was one of the Fijians who came over in the 60s/70s?
If it was the same person, he ran with the young governors and was quite knowledgeable about fashion.

If anyone is going to the funeral, could they ask the family to return the Bum Fights DVDs I lent him 7 years ago, ta.

Happy memories!

Ha ha, I was stood beside him at the bar when he performed the very same trick, never spilt a drop. His birthday is October 12, so he will be suitably remembered at our Bty reunion a few days later. Hopefully, details will appear about his funeral soon, I shall of course be in attendance to pay my respects to a friend and comrade.

I had the 'challenge' of being Roki's OC at 86Sqn. Top bloke. Fijian celebration drinks, he hands me my 4th coconut shell of homemade vegetable 'punch' and I'm feeling the effects - "are you sure I'm alright to drive on this Roki? " and as only he could answer "technically, boss". God bless knob-eyes.

For those of you who may wish to attend, Roki's funeral will be held at St Mary's church, Oldham Rd, Rochdale, OL11 2HB. Thus far, there are no details of timings, but his brother David will I'm sure put them on his facebook page in due course...Cheers!

Edited to add...The funeral will take place at 11.00 hrs on said date and location. Again cheers!

Last edited:
My condolelencies to Phillip's Family, I served with his father Adama in the South Wales Borderers from 1964/ 71, I was in Lydd and I would visit the family, many memories, Bob

Attachments

• Matt & Rocky.jpg
    Matt & Rocky.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 206
What an absolute tragedy. My condolences to all concerned. Is there any indication of the cause of death? He was young and obviously very fit. What an awful shame.

MsG
Well he was in his mid-forties so even in a condolence thread you continue to prove your ability to talk shite.

Sad loss to all who knew him.

Based on this youtube tribute video I suspect it may have been cirrhosis related.

I haven't seen Rocky in 20 years and it's really upset me to hear the news. Only the good die young so I know what that says about us.

MsG
Well he was in his mid-forties so even in a condolence thread you continue to prove your ability to talk shite.

Sad loss to all who knew him.

Let's not, eh?

This thread was actually a few dits and mercifully free of 'RIP Brave One, your duty is done', type crap.

Let's keep it that way.

Decorum and all that.

Last edited:
Just to confirm that Rocky's funeral will be held tomorrow.

All the details are as follows (Copy & pasted from FB- Far to complex and detailed to be mine) -

Please see Phil Rokotuni's Funeral Programme of Events - Fri 06 Feb 15 - Timings are approximate

1. 0800 - Assemble at Flying Horse Breakfast, Tea and Coffee will be provided. (Optional)

2. 0930 - There are 2 x 50 Seater Coaches laid on 'if needed' Pick up of initial 100 x Pax from Town Hall, Post Office from Flying Horse to Church. Rolling pick up of pax who require transport to the church. The Council and School have also allowed for car parking at the school which is adjacent to the Church for the duration of the service. It is stressed that they will take no responsibility for people leaving their cars there.

3. 0945 - Hearse will leave Home residence to Church - Military Bearer Party will meet Hearse at the Church. Under command and control of WO1 (RSM) A.Evans.

4. 1000 - Funeral Service commences at Church.

5. 1100 - Funeral Service finishes.

6. 1105 - Funeral Cortege to proceed to Cemetry. 2 x Coaches to depart with 100 pax on rolling move.

7. 1105 - RBL/ RAOC/ LVA Standard Bearers to be in place prior to arrival of Funeral cortege.

8. 1120 - 1130 - Funeral cortege to arrive at cemetry.

9. 1130 - 1225 - Military Burial activity – Military Bearer Party to lead. Bugler LVA to be in position. Under command and control of WO1 (RSM) A.Evans.

10. 1225 - 1235 - 2 x 50 Seater Coaches Pick up of initial 100 x Pax from Cemetry to Flying Horse. Rolling pick up of pax who require transport back to Flying Horse.

11. 1200 - 1230 - Flying Horse Reception ready to receive Funeral guests.

12. 1230 - TBC - Wake to continue.

Locations:

a. Flying Horse
37 Packer Street, Rochdale, Lancashire OL16 1NJ
01706 646412
Landlord: Benjamin Boothman

b. St Mary’s Church Balderstone, Oldham Road, Rochdale OL11 2BH. 'Limited parking spaces available at Church on the day'

c. Rochdale Cemetry Bury Road, Rochdale, OL114DG
01706 645 219

Dress:

It is kindly requested that the following be observed.

Gentlemen to be dressed in Suits/ Blazer order. If Military/ Ex Military wearing medals (Police have menttioned there is a heightened threat level in the area). Point to note it is stressed that 'only the Burial Party will be dressed in Uniform'. When the funeral is finished it has been 'requested by the Police' that uniforms be removed with replacement suits. This is to minimize any risk with regards to military presence in town.

Ladies attire dress as applicable for the event - With medals if Military/Ex Military

Children - As above.

Miscellaneous:

Parking is available around the Flying Horse with a potential overspill parking area - Location TBC.

Parking is also available at the Church but the council and school will not take responsibiity for people leaving their cars on site.

Taxis are available throughout the day.

Cashpoints are within walking distance of The Flying Horse.

There will be a collection box available at The Flying Horse on the day so if people could donate money into the boxes which will help towards paying for costs borne.

It is kindly requested that all 'Family' (Fijian Assocation (Europe), Rochdale Fijians and 212 Fijians UK and worldwide) can send Flowers/ Wreaths to the Funeral Directors as follows:

Dixons Funeral Service
2 Manchester Road
Rochdale
OL11 4HY
Tel: 01706 645501

All 'Non family members' are kindly requested to make donations to the following 'Rokotuni Family' account The donations that are offered will be donated to Phil's son 'Tui' and placed into a 'Trust fund' and kept until at such time he will be able to use it later in life for higher education at e.g. University etc :

Sort Code: 40-47-59

Account Number: 01308920

I shall be there to pay my respects to a comrade and friend, as will a fair number of our Bty lads who bounced around Belfast with the mutant...Cheers Fat Cav!

I shall be there to pay my respects to a comrade and friend, as will a fair number of our Bty lads who bounced around Belfast with the mutant...Cheers Fat Cav!

See you there

Roki's funeral yesterday, was a fitting tribute and send off for a man of the very highest quality! Thanks must go to all those who organised this sad, but splendid event. Their efforts ensured Roki was sent off in a style which both commemorated and, celebrated a man who lived life to the full...The church was packed to the rafters, literally! It was very dusty where I was, upstairs!

Latest Threads