Philips MRI advert

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by frenchie, Nov 10, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Am I alone in thinking that an advert during primetime tv for a MRI Scanner is just a little odd?
    This is the second time I've seen the Philips advert, can't see it on many peoples christmas lists, then again you've more chance of getting it than an XBOX360!
  2. I asked my wife for one for Xmas, about a million quid a pop.

Actually, it's part of a series of ads extolling the virtues of Philips. The next one talks about a lightbulb (recommended retail price, 75p). It's a bit like BP and Shell telling you about their underwater save-the-world non-fossil fuel exploration team. You couldn't give a fcuk, I couldn't give a fcuk we are just going to fill our cars up with their petrol.

So it's basically an exercise in marketing masturbation.

3. Yep fair one when you put it like that, more used to Philips advertising shavers,TV's and such.
  4. i dont know you could have mri parties get people pissed and whatch the brain cells die in Colour :) .what next adverts for
    power stations euro fighter? MOST odd
  5. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

Odly enough my mrs has to have a MRI scan soon now she knows what it looks like.
  6. ^ My dad had one last week, he said it was a bit claustrophobic but the classical music helps a lot! Hope the missus is OK BTW (oh, and I was with 5 QUEENS, were you a regular?).
  7. It won't look like that DH, the one on tv is apparently the first 'open' MRI scanner. I believe they are normally the one were you're laying on a stretcher-like surface and automatically slid into the machine up to the area of the body where your wife needs the scan.

Looks like a massive washing machine without the window. And stretcher of course. :)
  8. What do you mean it's just illustrating the virtues of Phillips?!!

I've asked for the lighting System from the Eiffel Tower. Let's see 'em Wrap that!
  9. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

One I saw recently in the States was for a Phillips Defib machine!

every home should have one, only $2500 and "it could save a life before the Paramedics arrive"
  10. Nope 'Open' MRI scanners have been around for quite a while. The military had one installed in a soon to close hospital on the south coast in about 98/99. I have seen that advert though, and it is a little bizarre. Could be due to the new GP driven health service.
  11. Comet sell them, you get a free iPod if you buy before 31/11.