Philippines: ISIS-linked onslaught

@bobthedog - if you've ignored eyehave as you suggested in your last, you'll have missed his answer to the effect of 'fat thumb, removed'.

Moving on from that was a public information announcement of no worthwhile value, I note that there are several Dutertes in political positions (his daughter and eldest son, I think) - is there any sense that dynastic politics is part of the problem, or is it just accepted as part of the political process?
Duterte was previously Mayor of Davao City, where he led the anti drug theme prior to becoming President. As I understand it the Daughter of Duterte is currentyl mayor. Davao city was previously to his administration a city that would not have been wise to visit, as drug and gang warfare were regular features, now somewhat cleaned up and peaceful. Duterte himself is extremely popular with his electorate despite the wholesale slaughter that occurred over recent months.

So yes there is dynastic politics, but if it improves lives for the inhabitants of these cities it can only be for the better, rather than the previous no-go areas created by the drug dealers and gangs.

It is easy to forget that the Philippines consists of 7000 islands with different dialects spoken around the country. Politics can be very local!

The Philippines’ defence chief says 500 extremists fought in the southern city of Marawi and they had a ‘big plan’ to occupy the city...... More than a week of fighting has left 95 militants dead. At least 25 soldiers and 19 civilians have also died.....eight of the fighters killed were foreigners, including Chechen and Arab militants.

He estimated that about 50 to 100 of the militants remained holed up in the city.

The Latest: Philippines says 500 militants involved in siege

The battle against the Islamification of Marawi continues:

IS takes slaves as Philippines battle intensifies

With Muslims making up such a small proportion of the country's population - it indicates of how much of a threat Islam can pose to other societies when it's followers become more dedicated.
As a whole the Muslim population of the Philippines is small, however the southern islands, Mindanao, the Sulo Archipelago and Palawan are majority Muslim population. Indeed Mindanao was mostly Muslim in recent years.
Christianity was the product of bringing hospitals and schools into the island, my wife's family being part of this. My Father-in-law was "posted" to Mindanao to persuade the population of some villages and town communities the benefits of having hospitals and schools built with government money. Strangely enough this was during the rule of President Marcos.

The hostages that have been taken in Marawi would most likely be mostly of the Muslim faith.

On Mindanao there has been an extensive conflict between Abu Sayyaf (Al Qaeda) and MILF (Moro Independance Liberation Front) and government forces ongoing for at least 40 years. Add into the mix an armed communist insurgency and you have the makings for a small civil war on Mindanao itself. What is intensely different is the IS outbreak in Marawi, which is led by fighters from Malaysia or Indonesia.