Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil the Greek in hospital

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Happy to be corrected but- isn't there some protocol that a senior royal's death will not be announced until a time that falls within whatever time certain publications would need to get it onto their front page news?

Im sure I've read somewhere that a senior royal's death would not be announced at say 02:37 on a Sunday morning
You‘re probably right, goodnight.

Happy to be corrected but- isn't there some protocol that a senior royal's death will not be announced until a time that falls within whatever time certain publications would need to get it onto their front page news?

Im sure I've read somewhere that a senior royal's death would not be announced at say 02:37 on a Sunday morning
I think that comes from the death of George V.
The story is his death was ‘hastened’ so that the announcement could be made after the ‘off stone’ time for the evening papers (in 1936 considered downmarket), and in time for the morning papers.
Print technology and today’s news management have done away with that.
Announcement of the death of George VI had to be held up until the Palace received confirmation that the new Queen had acknowledged receipt of the news.
When all said and done Di was a senior Royal, and her death was on a PA wire release in the early hours of the morning.
The Pont Alma car accident, and the fact she had been seriously injured, had already been reported (paparazzi, anyone), but the fact she was dead hit PA at about 0400 IIRC,
The report of her death came from PA’s Defence Correspondent who phoned it in from the pan at Kuala Lumpur airport.
Charlie (daughter’s godfather) was accompanying Robin Cook on a Far East tour. They were about to depart KL, when the aircraft stopped mid-taxi, steps wheeled out, and Robin summonsed to meet HE (Robin Christopher - an old family friend).
The assembled press bods on the aircraft, by now alerted to the accident in Paris, could see the two of them talking on the pan. As a result, Charlie discreetly phoned London and told the desk that Di had croaked. It went out on the wire immediately, ahead of the announcement from the hospital in Paris.

Last edited:

exsniffer

Old-Salt
IF he did drive himself home The beeb would think the world had ended, and would show back to back ‘protect and survive’ ads.

Laura K would orgasm herself to death.
Beth Rigby would die of over excitement
Robert Peston would bore himself to death with a slow drawn out tirade
and Sky news HQ would explode and fly into orbit.

Overall, the notion of an elderly man driving himself after surrendering his license would just be too much for many British media types.
That I would pay good money to see

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
No-one down here apart from the media gives a fcuk .
Why not? he's done some good things in his life, regardless of how you see the Monarchy.
I'd have thought his forthright views would endear him to the Australian mindset.

Slime

LE
Just by chance - I stumbled upon this a few minutes ago:

Prince Philip Saved Us from Dying

In January 1945, Roy ‘Gus’ Halliday and Petty Officer Norman ‘Dickie’ Richardson, his rear gunner, ditched their Avenger bomber, its wing on fire after a dog fight with the Japanese, in heavy seas off Sumatra.

Wearing only inflatable life jackets, the two men and a third crew member were facing death. Then came rescue in the shape of the Destroyer HMS Whelp, whose First Lieutenant was Philip Mountbatten (now Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh)

Dickie, who sadly passed away earlier this year, vividly recalled the day when Prince Philip’s quiet heroism in the British Pacific Fleet saved his life.

“I pulled a dinghy out of the aircraft, but it didn’t inflate” said Dickie. “‘Gus’ had skilfully flown us back towards the fleet before we were forced to ditch but relying only on our Mae Wests to keep us afloat, we were in a pretty dicey situation.”

Luckily, HMS Whelp was less than a mile away, close enough to put down a boat, although they had great difficulty getting it away in the strong swell.

“As the ship’s boat came alongside, Prince Philip was at the rail looking over” said Dickie. “He welcomed us aboard and took us down to his cabin where he lent us towels and dry clothing for us to wear. I remember he a framed photograph of his sweetheart, the future Queen Elizabeth II on the table in his cabin.”

“As a serving officer with the British Pacific Fleet, and before that in the Mediterranean, Prince Philip gave great service to his country. He was very well liked and set a great example to us all” said Dickie.

have a look on the BBC sounds app for a radio programme called something like:
A right royal rescue.

Why not? he's done some good things in his life, regardless of how you see the Monarchy.
I'd have thought his forthright views would endear him to the Australian mindset.
Not saying he hasn't done some good things in his life, but a lot of people here are starting to pay less attention to the monarchy lately. It'll be worse once Her Majesty shuffles off this mortal coil.

Not saying he hasn't done some good things in his life, but a lot of people here are starting to pay less attention to the monarchy lately. It'll be worse once Her Majesty shuffles off this mortal coil.

A few beheadings at the Tower ought to get the naysayers back in line.

Dwarf

LE
Make all Aussie grog by royal permission only. They'll soon be more royalist than a battalion of Guards.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

I think King Charles the 1st would disagree..

oh

riiiighhht

i thought you were talking about Meghan

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
No-one down here apart from the media gives a fcuk .

So it would seem.

'The Sydney Morning Herald was forced to quickly remove a pre-prepared obituary for Prince Philip seemingly published by accident on Monday afternoon.

'An article titled ‘Prince Philip Through the Years’ appeared in the paper’s obituary section at around 5pm, with it unclear whether a coincidental retrospective article was put in the wrong section of the paper, or it was in fact a very awkward oversight.

'The Duke of Edinburgh is very much still alive, and according to family members, “doing OK” as he remains in hospital for “rest and observation”.'

I was working weekend night shift when Princess Diana died. I was on my late break when the radio announced her death, so about 0430 on a Sunday morning. By the time I was driving home (0600 ish) all that was on the radio was solemn music.

I was working weekend night shift when Princess Diana died. I was on my late break when the radio announced her death, so about 0430 on a Sunday morning. By the time I was driving home (0600 ish) all that was on the radio was solemn music.
See post #122. Thanks for confirming my memory of the timing: it would have taken quite a few minutes for the duty night news editor to query the ‘flash’ from PA.
The duty editor at PA, himself, said later: ‘if that news had been sent in by anybody other than Charlie Miller, I would have waited until we had confirmation from the Palace. As it was I put it out on a ‘Flash’.
Charlie received the Press Gazette’s ‘Scoop of the Year’ award.

I think that comes from the death of George V.
The story is his death was ‘hastened’ so that the announcement could be made after the ‘off stone’ time for the evening papers (in 1936 considered downmarket), and in time for the morning papers.
Print technology and today’s news management have done away with that.
Announcement of the death of George VI had to be held up until the Palace received confirmation that the new Queen had acknowledged receipt of the news.
When all said and done Di was a senior Royal, and her death was on a PA wire release in the early hours of the morning.
The Pont Alma car accident, and the fact she had been seriously injured, had already been reported (paparazzi, anyone), but the fact she was dead hit PA at about 0400 IIRC,
The report of her death came from PA’s Defence Correspondent who phoned it in from the pan at Kuala Lumpur airport.
Charlie (daughter’s godfather) was accompanying Robin Cook on a Far East tour. They were about to depart KL, when the aircraft stopped mid-taxi, steps wheeled out, and Robin summonsed to meet HE (Robin Christopher - an old family friend).
The assembled press bods on the aircraft, by now alerted to the accident in Paris, could see the two of them talking on the pan. As a result, Charlie discreetly phoned London and told the desk that Di had croaked. It went out on the wire immediately, ahead of the announcement from the hospital in Paris.
Adds a bit more :

See post #122. Thanks for confirming my memory of the timing: it would have taken quite a few minutes for the duty night news editor to query the ‘flash’ from PA.
The duty editor at PA, himself, said later: ‘if that news had been sent in by anybody other than Charlie Miller, I would have waited until we had confirmation from the Palace. As it was I put it out on a ‘Flash’.
Charlie received the Press Gazette’s ‘Scoop of the Year’ award.
would explain!
I'll say it again. I was broadcasting that afternoon, and the PA 'snap' flashed up on my screen wires in the studio at 4.15, with a strict embargo until 5pm.

Adds a bit more :

Interesting. One bit the Independent piece got wrong: Robin Cook’s aircraft was held on the ground in KL, not Manila.
Robin Christopher was HE in Indonesia at the time - he was never in the Philippines as a diplomat.
Charlie Miller knew Robin having met him at our place in the early 90s.

Latest Threads