Pheasant parasites?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by vvaannmmaann, May 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was just about to remove some phesant breasts,when I noticed some movement on the feathers.Closer inspection revealed tiny tiny white 'worms' moving about.Tiny being 0.5mm sort of size.
    I've never noticed them before,any ideas?
  2. Chuck em in the bread sauce.How long has it been hung for?.
  3. External parasites of the pheasant are mainly mites, particularly red mites, or lice. Pheasant do suffer from internal worms - roundworm, caecal worms (which resemble your description but not their location) and round or tapeworms - which if you were handling affected meat gloves would have been a nice idea.

As a rule of thumb, most fowl parasites are fairly invisible up the human food chain. They live in the fowl bowel and we tend not to eat these parts. Likewise worms that infest the liver. A good gralloching is sufficient, after hanging, and cleaning the cavity is also advisable. These "worms" may be larvae of something which decided to lay on your dead bird, rather than inhabited it parasitically while it was alive.

My advice, if you are unsure what this atypical presence forebodes, is ditch the bird. Besides which it is out of season now! :
    • Like Like x 1
  4. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

My old Nan, married to a gamekeeper used to hang pheasants and would take them down when a small pile of maggots had accumulated under them on the larder floor. I wont start on parasites you may be eating in cooked cod or pork, to name but two.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Cuddles,sorry to say my dog had no idea about seasons when she caught it.However I had decided to throw it over the hedge,just in case.
  6. Well that's dogs for you! As a matter of interest, cock or hen bird? How healthy was it looking?
  7. Big cock.Very healthy looking as well.However the spurs were very thick,so probably a lot of mileage on him!
  8. Hermer perv.

But you saw that one coming, didn't you...?
  9. You're still eating road kill then, or has it been hanging since last August?

My advice, bag it up, heat sealed in old bin bags and post it to that thick gobby old tart in Argentina!