Pheasant in Port

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by PE4rocks, Dec 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Much against my better judgement here is a recipe for late season/old birds<insert joke of choice here>

This is no quickie but..;

4 oz sliced Mushrooms
    into a pan with
    1/4 pint of port(tawny not vintage)
    Simmer for 10 mins.

8 oz of chicken livers gently fried in a butter, then pureed with your weapon of choice

Drain mushrooms (reserve the port!) and mix with chicken liver puree.

Use mixture to stuff pheasant.

Place bird in basin/bowl cover with fresh port.

Cover bowl/basin with clingfilm/foil and place in fridge for 2/3 days. Turn occasionaly if needed.

Remove from port, pat dry, oil bird then season.

Put bacon on breast and roast in a hot (220 C) for 30 - 45 mins

While roasting, simmer marinade (+ reserved poaching port) with another 4 oz of sliced mushrooms for about 10 minutes.

Add port and mushrooms to pheasant pan for last 10-15 mins of roasting.

Serve however you want.

2. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Sounds good, I shall give it a go!

3. Why against your better judgement? looks like a good recipe to me. You might need to extend the cooking times slightly though as there is nowt worse than tough pheasant.

4. Condoning the wastage of port of course... ah EOD sorry. :D

The marinading tends to take care of that and of course I was presuming reasonably hung. I mean, standards an' all.

5. I've got pheasant that have been hanging nearly two weeks now. They're still OK I must get them dressed though.

Flavoursome! :hungry:

6. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

In this cold that should be about right.

Can I come round for dinner? :D

7. Urgh, they will be minging now, with flies and maggots crawling around in them...not to mention the rotting flesh.

8. Flies at this time of year and temperature? - don't talk such rubbish. I ate one last night. It was perfect.

9. Blox - as long as they have been hanging somewhere cold they will be just about perfect. Although I always skin them rather than pluck - the skin does not add anyhting to the cooking process and also the yellow fat on the breast gets rather bitter after a good long hang so best to remove that as well.

10. Its blinkin freezing here (-1 to -7) and a fly flew into my "office" and won't bugger off (obviously it likes the warmth of my "office" so I am sure some will have had their shitty feet all over the one you scoffed last night.

11. I suppose hanging them in a freezer is ok.

12. Get one of these and you will never have maggots on your meat fnaar fnaar
    http://www.gamesafe.net/

13. Have you ever been into a butcher's shop? Was the meat all rotten and covered in maggots?

:roll:

14. PE4 Many thanks and very timely. I shall be prepping the birds in the shed at the moment for the weekend in anticipation. Just have to go out and replenish the stocks this weekend.

15. My pleasure.