Pheasant breasts

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Grownup_Rafbrat, Dec 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

OK, I've treated myself to a couple of these from the local farm shop. I'm thinking of casseroling them with some red wine, chicken stock, mushrooms and carrots, and scoffing with roast potatoes, sprouts and cauliflower. Starting with onions and garlic as a base for the casserole, of course.

Any have any better suggestions for them, and any idea whether adding a few raisins to the casserole will improve the dish?

2. Yes just sit and stare at them and give them the occasional cheeky fondle
  3. Sorry I thought they were pleasant breasts
  4. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

I suggest that rather than boil the beejezus out of them, slice thinly, fry with some garlic and fresh thyme and then use the juices while the meat is resting to make a jus using a healthy dose of red wine to deglaze the pan.

Serve with posh chips (wedges done in the oven with a light sprinkling of chilli flakes and generoulsy seasoned) and oven roasted veg.

Quicker, more tasty and you get the benefit of being able to eat the meat without chewing for half an hour each time you take a bite.

Edited: Indeed - my shout is a refined version of this: Click me, Click me, oooooooooo just there baby.

Edited second time for mong typing.
  5. Fronty

Fronty Old-Salt Book Reviewer

You _could_ casserole them, or you could obtain some roquefort and walnuts, stuff the breasts with a mix of the two and crushed garlic, then wrap with proscuto/parma ham and grill until lovely and tender, but with crispy ham on top.

Of course, you would need to serve this with al dente sugar snap peas, asparagus and a baked sweet potato fr the full effect, and might I suggest robust and full bodied red to accompany? Maybe something from the New World?
  6. Jeeze my mouth is watering. Whats for breakfast in the morning? Oh, rice again. Bugger.
  7. Grownup_Rafbrat

They sound nice, but I don't have those things in my cupboard. And have you seen the price of asparagus and sugar snap peas at this time of year!

Nice ideas from everyone though, and thank you. I feel peckish already.
  8. Personally I would lightly fry off in butter, put to one side and rest, deglaze with red wine and add some recurrant jelly, a splash of red wine vinegar add a knob of butter too add a gloss to create your sauce.

Serve with a mustard potato mash, Parsnip chips and seasonal veggies such as carrots, leeks and purple sprouting or calabrese.

Have a cheeky light red wine for drinking
  9. Grownup_Rafbrat

Yum, thank you.

Decisions, decisions!
  10. I prefer lady breasts covered in chocolate sauce.
  11. Not in season and a bugger to cook correctly I find

12. You jest surely...they are always in season...just sometimes not once a month. Cooking is your mistake, they should just be nibbled sushi and that cold soup that you don't cook for some reason.
  13. it is that time in my house, and I will put the candles away and try them raw next time, cheers for the tip
  14. Well now I hear that some like hot candle wax dribbled on the breasts...which enhance their taste...especially if they are those flavoured candles.

It is a terrible thing when it is that time. I fear for you I do.
  15. Gently shallow fry in butter with mushrooms, pepper and a pinch or so of paprika then, when they are nearly done, horse in some cream and let it all bubble away for a bit.

Last time I did it (mon) I had it with rice. Lovely.

If you like the breasts try a whole bird but see if you can get someone to bone the whole thing out. The trouble with pheasant I find is that is has exactly the same anatomy as a chicken regarding bones and the number of tendons, etc, but all crammed into a much smaller space.

If you get it boned you can simply wrap the meat around some stuffing, tie it off, and roast the beauty.