Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PhD veteran research: life after injury

Crush06

Swinger
Hello all.

Posting this (with Bad CO’s approval) about my PhD project researching life after a traumatic injury.

I am currently looking to interview veterans who experienced a traumatic injury, which has led to separation/retirement from the Armed Forces/active duty. My definition of traumatic injury is: limb loss, blindness, hearing loss, severe burns, spinal cord injury, and/or TBIs. I am using narratives, or life stories, as the research method specifically to demonstrate how one makes meaning following an injury whilst they are serving in the military. This method means your words about your experiences, both positive and negative, are used to better understand your life before and after the injury.
  • The age range of veterans for this project is 18-50.
  • Interviews will be in-person and are audio recorded for transcription. I am willing to travel to you to conduct the interview.
  • Apologies upfront, as there is no compensation—just the aim to share this info outside of a PhD (that few will realistically read). I will do presentations, journal articles, and aim to write a book in hopes to share stories with wider military/civilian audiences who are faced with life-changing injuries.
  • Interviews will be done at your convenience.
You can find more detailed information on my research website:
https://lifeafterinjurysite.wordpress.com
If you or someone you know are interested in participating, please PM me here or contact me through the website above.

Also, not sure if this is helpful for anyone who is thinking about participating but here goes:
  • I am from a military family.
  • I have worked on military/veteran-related issues for a decade.
  • This research is self-funded through a loan (so no issues with the uni telling me what to research).
  • I have a Bachelor's degree in Political Science and a Master's in Public Policy and will be quite keen to tackle the issues appropriately with that lot once I have completed the research.
Many thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Bumping to ask fellow injured veterans to have a look at the website in the first post and consider helping out.

The more research that gets published about how the system manages (or not!) casualties, the more informed the policy twonks who hold the purse strings. This can only be achieved if people actually participate.

I'm not a veteran (yet), but I have suffered multiple traumatic injuries and have been separated from active service for more than 7 years.

I'm happy to help.

Crush06

Swinger
I wanted to say a sincere thank you to the respondents. :)

Also wanted to bump this as I am still looking for folks to share their stories with me. Thanks.

Hope you get some good responses here. Astonished at the paucity of cynical/sarky/sanctimonious/pompous replies so far, in all honesty; normally there'd be quite a few. I'm outside of your range of interest, so will hold my peace, other than to shame those who could reply. Bastards, they are.

Always pleased to bump up a worthwhile call. Those with limb loss, blindness, hearing loss, severe burns, and/or spinal cord injury, give the man a call. Please.

(And don't believe a word that @dingerr says; it's all in his mind.)

Crush06

Swinger
Also, I have expanded the injury list to include TBIs.
If the TBI caused you physical issues and then you were medically discharged because of it, feel free to participate.

Crush06

Swinger
Hope you get some good responses here. Astonished at the paucity of cynical/sarky/sanctimonious/pompous replies so far, in all honesty; normally there'd be quite a few. I'm outside of your range of interest, so will hold my peace, other than to shame those who could reply. Bastards, they are.
(and aren't we all a bit of a bastard in one way or another? Some just advertise theirs whilst some hide it better...;))

You haven't been on this site for long, have you? Don't expose a weakness or you'll be de-organned and mummified sooner than you'd hoped for in your will. Or The Snail'l get you (shudder).

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
You haven't been on this site for long, have you? Don't expose a weakness or you'll be de-organned and mummified sooner than you'd hoped for in your will. Or The Snail'l get you (shudder).
They've coughed to my squashy back, does this mean I qualify to fill forms in?

Didn't you get £1/2M for your carpal tunnel syndrome? All that stress on the mouse? You want more?
Damn. I have buggered knees, elbows and shoulders from falling onto Fox Covert from height. It's so unfair.

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
Didn't you get £1/2M for your carpal tunnel syndrome? All that stress on the mouse? You want more?
Damn. I have buggered knees, elbows and shoulders from falling onto Fox Covert from height. It's so unfair.
One day, just one day, you'll learn how to use the Quote function.

How long have you been here now?

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
You're a Politician. I can tell.

A prerfect position to shout about those squashed, bent and broke people that the OP's wanting to talk to.
I'm just waiting for someone to commission a study into Herforder overdosing during the 70s. Where's the love?

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
A prerfect position to shout about those squashed, bent and broke people that the OP's wanting to talk to.
I'm just waiting for someone to commission a study into Herforder overdosing during the 70s. Where's the love?
Calm your jets, tiger. I've PM'd him.

The_Snail

ADC
RIP

Latest Threads