Phase one trainers and boots

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Gust.Avrakotos, Nov 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Sorry if there are posts with this info in, I have tried to run a search but there are a lot of posts with the word 'boots' in them lol

Does anyone know what trainers and boots are issued at phase one, and where I could buy a pair of each before I get there?
    I would like to break them in before hand but obviously want to make sure I get the right stuff.

2. When I was there 6 months ago you got issued the standard british army assault boot and the not so ally hi tech silver shadows.

We were however offered the chance to wear the new PT03 trainers which cost 38 quid (money well spent if you value your ankles/shins/knees etc) but that was about 8 weeks in (CIC Catteric).

If you play the game though you can get chits off the physio to wear different trainers/boots if you claim to have problems.

hope this helps,
  3. Cheers for that, any ideas where these can be gotten hold of?

I guess the boots can be gotten at the army surplus but what about the trainers?
  4. Not sure if its the same at ITC Catterick but at Sandhurst we have two sets of trainers for PT, an indoor set (silver shads) and an outdoor set (our own private investment). The PTIs dont seem to mind what the outdoor ones are as long as they are suitable for the job. I personally have PT03s for the outdoor stuff. On that note, dont put them in a washing machine straight after a run on Barrossa training area...bits tent to fall off of them.

On the boots front, some of the guys in the platoon have used the inbred feet excuse to get Lowa boots.
  5. Not even started training yet and you're hinting at the physio route already to get a pair of ally boots! What's next, back injury to get out of carrying weight?
  6. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

Agree with last poster, avoid playing the physio route, because it wont do you any favours in the long run. Just buy your own set when you get to your unit.
    Don't worry about breaking them in, just wait until you get there. Everyone will be in the same boat as you.
  7. glad to see people giving sound advice when only 6 months into the army, well done turnip.
    DONT DONT DONT play any games when you get to training, fair one for wanting to get some kit before you get there shows foresite but as people have said wait till you get there because everbody will be in the same boat and you wont be doing a cft in your first week with new boots.
    what you should be doing before getting to training, is keeping your fitness up and stay injury free. prepare yourself mentally and enjoy your freedom before you have to give some up for bit.
  8. I agree with yorkie.

Forget about getting your own kit, the CMS(R) is designed to break you and your kit in.

Just concentrate on working word and passing training.
  9. Don't listen to them! Seriously track down the boots from the surplus and the shoes you should be able to get from any good sports shop. The training staff will really think better of your for it and you will score brownie points early on.

Along with that, buy yourself webbing, helmet, full 95 kit including the new smock and full CBRN kit and turn up in it all on the first day. You will be top student for sure.
  10. Sick with issue kit, when its issued, as has ben said everyone will be in the same boat. Wait until you get through traininging and join your unit before splashing out on shiney stuff, whats the point of spending money on kit and then for some reason you dont get through basic?
  11. Whilst I understand that, I would still rather not destroy my poor little feet breaking in boots when I can do it over time before I arrive.
  12. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

I'd imagine breaking in your boots before arriving on whatever course, esp something as demanding as Basic, would be seen as good drills by the majority. Or so I would have thought. If you can keep them, an extra pair of boots can be worth their weight in gold.

I'd say buy a pair, break them in properly, get a decent pair of insoles and crack on - just don't be billy big mouth about it.
  13. My bold.

An extra set of boots also means an extra set to get sparkly clean for every inspection etc.

Good drills with the forward thinking, but I'd suggest just sticking with what you get issued... you'll be fine.
  14. Why does everybody complain about silver shadows?! I think they're comfy as fcuk.
  15. Lack of support of all kinds is generally what people get annoyed about. Hence why the Army is currently phasing in PT-03 trainers as the standard issue and no more Silver Shadows - because they are utter gash for phys.

Who gives a damn if they're "comfy as fuck" if they don't do the job? How much running to you do in yours?